You're Advising the Republicans....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:34:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  You're Advising the Republicans....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: You're Advising the Republicans....  (Read 10236 times)
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2009, 05:58:28 PM »

We need to focus more on economics and why free-market principles are the best way for the economy

Most Americans don't support "free-market principles." I doubt McCain would have carried ten states if everyone had voted solely on economic issues last year. Of course, you're also right in noting the long-term decline of social conservatism, so I'm tempted to just say you're screwed and leave it at that. Wink

Honestly, though, if I were a Republican strategist, I would keep waving the flag and screaming about "pansy-ass, tea-sipping" Europeans and scary brown people. The political climate is bound to get better for the right eventually, and this formula will work (again) when that time comes. Becoming some kind of half-assed Libertarian Party would lose a lot more votes than it gains.

That's probably what they will do (scary brown people and overeducated, latte-drinking liberals), but I can assure you it will not work because (1)  it won't be long before the brown people outnumber the white people and (2) the internet and technology will make future generations even more open-minded.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2009, 06:01:10 PM »

Honestly, though, if I were a Republican strategist, I would keep waving the flag and screaming about "pansy-ass, tea-sipping" Europeans and scary brown people. The political climate is bound to get better for the right eventually, and this formula will work (again) when that time comes. Becoming some kind of half-assed Libertarian Party would lose a lot more votes than it gains.

That's probably what they will do (scary brown people and overeducated, latte-drinking liberals), but I can assure you it will not work because (1)  it won't be long before the brown people outnumber the white people and (2) the internet and technology will make future generations even more open-minded.

What do you mean by "scary brown people"?
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2009, 06:01:51 PM »

Black, hispanics
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2009, 06:05:04 PM »

When and in what context have Republicans screamed about them?
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2009, 06:08:34 PM »

You don't have to scream about it.  When your party constantly opposes immigration, when until recently you had senators such as Jesse Helms and when many of your party's supporters are racists and when Obama is dangerous for the country because he's "exotic", it's pretty clear to me that the party still embraces such beliefs.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2009, 06:22:42 PM »

You don't have to scream about it.  When your party constantly opposes immigration,

They've never opposed immigration.  They oppose illegal immigration. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So you attribute Jesse Helms to the entire party? 

When did anyone say this??
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2009, 06:27:03 PM »

Paul, no offense, but what country do you live in?  You honestly don't believe your party is associated with everything I mentioned?

Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2009, 06:35:01 PM »

'Hispanics' are gradually joining 'white' America and biracials are on their way to doing so. I suspect the percentage of nonwhite people will peak in 2020's census then drop from there. Odds are by 2050 we'll be 90+% 'white' but a majority of those 'whites' will be biracials and or latin.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2009, 06:39:18 PM »

Paul, no offense, but what country do you live in?  You honestly don't believe your party is associated with everything I mentioned?

There are definitely people who make those associations.  But I find them to be ignorant.    Similarly, I find Republicans who identify Democrats as "appeasers" and "communists" to be rather uninsightful.  I don't associate the Democratic party with those who call John McCain a murderer and George W. Bush a war criminal.  Painting with such a broad brush isn't the best way to get your arguments across.   

Here is the exchange I took issue with...

Honestly, though, if I were a Republican strategist, I would keep waving the flag and screaming about "pansy-ass, tea-sipping" Europeans and scary brown people.

That's probably what they will do (scary brown people and overeducated, latte-drinking liberals)...

Oppose the GOP positions on immigration reform, welfare reform, etc., if you want, but the "Republicans are racist" accusation is seriously played-out.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2009, 06:41:53 PM »

Why would you want to campaign in states outside "Real America"?
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2009, 06:50:05 PM »

There are definitely people who make those associations.  But I find them to be ignorant.    Similarly, I find Republicans who identify Democrats as "appeasers" and "communists" to be rather uninsightful.  I don't associate the Democratic party with those who call John McCain a murderer and George W. Bush a war criminal.  Painting with such a broad brush isn't the best way to get your arguments across.   

Here is the exchange I took issue with...

Honestly, though, if I were a Republican strategist, I would keep waving the flag and screaming about "pansy-ass, tea-sipping" Europeans and scary brown people.

That's probably what they will do (scary brown people and overeducated, latte-drinking liberals)...

Oppose the GOP positions on immigration reform, welfare reform, etc., if you want, but the "Republicans are racist" accusation is seriously played-out.

It might be in your case and good for you, but as long as all the racists in this country continue to vote for the Republican party, that perception will exist.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2009, 07:31:37 PM »

It might be in your case and good for you, but as long as all the racists in this country continue to vote for the Republican party, that perception will exist.

Did it ever occur to you that there are racists who vote for Democrats as well?  Even those who vote exclusively for the Democratic Party?  These perceptions will exist so long as people like you continue to perpetuate them. 
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2009, 07:41:08 PM »

Did it ever occur to you that there are racists who vote for Democrats as well?  Even those who vote exclusively for the Democratic Party?  These perceptions will exist so long as people like you continue to perpetuate them. 
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2009, 07:41:37 PM »

Why would you want to campaign in states outside "Real America"?

There is no such thing as "real America".
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2009, 08:29:10 PM »

It's called sarcasm.

I don't think conservative positions on things like crime, welfare, immigration, etc. are necessarily prejudiced obviously. There are logical arguments to be made for deterrence, self reliance, etc. However, it's pretty obvious that a lot of people who hold those position do so out of resentment OR want to appeal to people who feel that way. That's the strategy that people like Atwater, Rove, etc. have employed.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2009, 08:33:26 PM »

I think most would argue that it's people like Chip Saltzman or Trent Lott who do that, but if it makes you feel better to think it's my fault, so be it.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2009, 08:45:05 PM »

You obviously believe that racism is racism only when it happens toward non whites.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2009, 12:19:33 AM »

You obviously believe that racism is racism only when it happens toward non whites.

Oh no, not at all.  But it's kind of hard for a racist minority to have the impact on elections, laws etc. a racist majority does.  But I certainly agree that racism goes both ways.   
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2009, 05:13:37 AM »

No, not really. Most Republicans are racist, they hate blacks, they hate the Voting Rights Act of 1964, they hate Hispanics, etc.; but you'll refuse to admit it, because you're a subhuman legalist, and your Party can do nothing wrong.

Dude, did Newt Gingrich run over your dog or something?

Goddamn admit it already. The only reason the Republicans win the South year after year is because those people still have animosity against the blacks that Lyndon Johnson admitted into the Democratic fold. The sooner you come to terms with the genuine composition of your Party, the better. I am tired of liberals being the only ones demonized in American political discourse; you people damn well deserve it.

Oh, I'll absolutely admit there is a significant voter block in the South that still has a certain level of racial animosity, and I'll admit the Republicans play to it pretty often, and effectively (Willie Horton, S.C.- Rove Push Polling, etc.), but your assertion that:

Most Republicans are racist, they hate blacks, they hate the Voting Rights Act of 1964, they hate Hispanics, etc.

...is truly magnificent hyperbole, comparable to a conservative claiming "Most Democrats are bigots, they hate Christians," equally false, and equally nauseating.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2009, 05:20:41 AM »

No, not really. Most Republicans are racist, they hate blacks, they hate the Voting Rights Act of 1964, they hate Hispanics, etc.; but you'll refuse to admit it, because you're a subhuman legalist, and your Party can do nothing wrong.

Goddamn admit it already. The only reason the Republicans win the South year after year is because those people still have animosity against the blacks that Lyndon Johnson admitted into the Democratic fold. The sooner you come to terms with the genuine composition of your Party, the better. I am tired of liberals being the only ones demonized in American political discourse; you people damn well deserve it.

Oh, I'll absolutely admit there is a significant voter block in the South that still has a certain level of racial animosity, and I'll admit the Republicans play to it pretty often, and effectively (Willie Horton, S.C.- Rove Push Polling, etc.), but your assertion that:

Most Republicans are racist, they hate blacks, they hate the Voting Rights Act of 1964, they hate Hispanics, etc.

...is truly magnificent hyperbole, comparable to a conservative claiming "Most Democrats are bigots, they hate Christians," equally false, and equally nauseating.

All those states in blue? Those are the only states to shift towards the Republican Party this year. Arizona is acceptable; those Southern states are not. Because they were the only states to trend towards the Republicans, it is more than fair to say that most Republicans, at least after the 2009 elections, are racists.
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2009, 05:49:36 AM »

All those states in blue? Those are the only states to shift towards the Republican Party this year. Arizona is acceptable; those Southern states are not. Because they were the only states to trend towards the Republicans, it is more than fair to say that most Republicans, at least after the 2009 elections, are racists.

I'm having trouble organizing my thoughts into a clear message, so bear with me:

1. Check out the racists up in Massachusetts.

2. Your argument is cyclical:

The South is racist because it is Republican.
The Republicans are racist because they are in the South.

3. I didn't vote for Barack Obama, I'm a registered and self-identifying Republican, am I racist?

4. "Most" Republicans "hate" blacks... those are your words... are you willing to stand by them as not the least bit hyperbolic? We're not talking about a subconscious xenophobia that effects one's views on immigration, we're talking about 51% of the Republican Party actively hating black people.

5. Apparently Alaska didn't vote.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2009, 05:55:22 AM »

I'm having trouble organizing my thoughts into a clear message, so bear with me:

1. Check out the racists up in Massachusetts.

Kerry was the home-state candidate in '04. It was natural that Massachusetts ought to trend slightly more Republican, since they basically maxed out four years ago.

No; my argument is that the South is racist, and the Republicans today are mostly Southerners, and so Republicans are mostly racist.

Did you not vote for him because he is black?

I'm more than willing to believe 51% of Republican voters dislike/despise/hate blacks, and, when added to the number that hate Mexicans, that's probably considerably higher. I'd be willing to bet everything I have that an outright majority of Republican voters are racists, and you'd be a fool not to agree.

Alaska doesn't have counties.
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2009, 06:28:37 AM »

Pardon me if I steal your form.

Kerry was the home-state candidate in '04. It was natural that Massachusetts ought to trend slightly more Republican, since they basically maxed out four years ago.[/quote]

You're absolutely right, and I did not take that into account. In my defense, I'm very tired.

No; my argument is that the South is racist, and the Republicans today are mostly Southerners, and so Republicans are mostly racist.[/quote]

I misunderstood your premise. So it is the Southern-ness that causes the racism, not the Republicanism? Well, this argument is slightly more palatable.

Did you not vote for him because he is black?[/quote]

Of course not... I apologize for this statement, actually... perhaps I'm taking your vitriolic attacks on Republicans personally.

I'm more than willing to believe 51% of Republican voters dislike/despise/hate blacks, and, when added to the number that hate Mexicans, that's probably considerably higher. I'd be willing to bet everything I have that an outright majority of Republican voters are racists, and you'd be a fool not to agree.[/quote]

So, at the very least, 24% of the electorate hates blacks?

If I am a fool, so be it.

Alaska doesn't have counties.
[/quote]

Hmm... I'll try not to be glib in the future.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2009, 10:36:39 AM »

Get a red avatar already
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2009, 11:07:06 AM »

but you'll refuse to admit it, because you're a subhuman legalist,

Why are you such an asshole?  You seem like a smart guy and I'm genuinely interested in most of your opinions, but I can't help but roll my eyes whenever I see a new post from you.  Make your arguments and keep it moving.  You don't have to make every damn post out to be like your leading a revolution. 

No.  If you've paid attention to my posts since I've joined this forum you'd notice that it's quite the opposite. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies