Alabama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:50:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Alabama
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Alabama  (Read 24985 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2009, 08:03:36 PM »

Folsom out = GOP hold
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2009, 08:27:41 PM »

Why is Davis doing this?  Does he really think he can win?  I would keep my job in Washington if I was in his position.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2009, 12:31:26 PM »

Ex-Judge Moore Mulls Another Monumental Bid in Alabama

Republican Roy Moore, a conservative activist known for his former role as Alabama's "Ten Commandments" judge, says he is very "inclined" to join the 2010 race for the state's open governor's seat.

Moore, who discussed his possible candidacy in an interview with the Associated Press, now heads Foundation for Moral Law, a conservative group with a central focus of religion in public life. He would be seeking to succeed a political rival, term-limited Republican Bob Riley, to whom he badly lost the 2006 Republican primary for governor.

Moore had been an elected chief justice of the state Supreme Court. But he was ousted from the post by a state court panel in 2003, after he ignored a federal court ruling ordering the removal of a granite momunent to the biblical Ten Commandments that he had installed in the state Supreme Court building two years earlier.

Despite a groundswell of support among conservative activists, Moore only managed about 33 percent of the vote in losing the 2006 primary to Riley. The incumbent went on to easily win the general election that November to claim his second term.

Moore refused to take money from political action committees (PACs) during that primary, making it difficult to even contest the incumbent's fundraising ability.

Moore told the Associated Press last week, while discussing his possible 2010 candidacy, that he would take PAC money this go-around unless "it's something that I can't at all agree with."

Tim James, a businessman and son of former Alabama Gov. Fob James, is the party's only official candidate so far, according to the state Republican Party. Others rumored to be interested include state Rep. Robert Bentley, Alabama Secretary of State Beth Chapman, state Republican Party Chairman Mike Hubbard, and state Treasurer Kay Ivey.

U.S. Rep. Artur Davis and state Commissioner of Agriculture Ron Sparks are in the contest for the Democratic nomination, with state Sen. Roger Bedford Jr. considering the race.

http://blogs.cqpolitics.com/eyeon2010/2009/04/ex-judge-moore-mulls-another-monumental-bid-in-alabama.html
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2009, 04:04:59 PM »

I saw that, thanks for posting.

Artur's chances just went up, since this time Moore will be the loudest candidate in a multiple candidate primary.

as did my chances of feeling even sorrier for the people of this state
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2009, 04:51:15 PM »

Davis vs. Moore would be interesting. I would certainly gain some respect for Alabama if they elected Davis in such a scenario.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2009, 01:15:32 AM »

^^^

http://www.dwp2016.org/
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2009, 01:22:32 AM »

I have no idea who the hell he is, but his website is awesome X max X maxawesome
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2009, 01:29:53 PM »

I have no idea who the hell he is, but his website is awesome X max X maxawesome

he used to post here
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2009, 01:35:45 PM »

he used to post here

Brilliant suggestive understatement. Though bist good at that, it seems.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2009, 01:01:48 PM »

New Artur Davis internal:

DEM Primary:

Artur Davis: 54%
Sue Bell Cobb: 25%

Artur Davis: 56%
Ron Sparks: 26%

General Election:

Artur Davis (D): 43%
Bradley Byrne (R): 38%

The statewide poll, commissioned by Davis and conducted by Montgomery-based Anzalone-Liszt Research, included 600 Democratic primary voters who were contacted from May 5-9.

http://blog.al.com/live/2009/05/artur_davis_leads_democratic_r.html
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2009, 01:36:10 PM »

Not to be condescending but does anyone actually think Alabama will elect a black man to the Governor's office? :S
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2009, 05:25:46 PM »

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/governors/is-artur-davis-the-next-barack.html

New polling from the gubernatorial campaign of Alabama Rep. Artur Davis suggests he starts in strong position to be elected as the state's first African American governor.

Davis is over 50 percent in the survey, which was conducted by Anzalone-Liszt Research, against the two other Democrats in the race: Alabama Supreme Court Justice Sue Bell Cobb (54 percent-25 percent) and state Agriculture Commissioner Ron Sparks (56 percent-26 percent).

Davis pollster John Anzalone said that the poll's Democratic primary sample was 46 percent African-American, a "conservative" estimate based on recent statewide races where blacks comprised between 52 percent and 58 percent of the Democratic primary vote.

In a general election, Davis leads attorney Bradley Byrne (R) 43 percent to 38 percent, according to the polling.

Davis's strong showing appears to be creditable at least in part to the surprisingly strong standing of President Obama in the state. Nearly six in ten Alabama voters like Obama personally (57 percent favorability) and believe he is doing a good job (58 percent positive) -- numbers all the more striking when one considers that Obama won only 39 percent in Alabama last November.

While Davis downplays comparisons between himself and Obama, it's hard to ignore the obvious similarities -- young, black, Harvard educated and running largely post-racial candidacies focused only tangentially on the color of their skin.

One of the unanswered questions from the 2008 election was whether Obama's history-making victory as the country's first black president was an isolated case attributable to his unique political skills and positioning or whether it would have a residual effect on the way in which voters saw black candidates in future races.

As we wrote recently:

"The question that each of these candidacies will seek to answer is whether having a black president will influence how voters think about their in-state politicians. Put another way: Does having Obama in the White House make it easier for Georgia or Alabama voters to see the possibility that their own governor could be black?"
The early poll numbers out of Alabama suggest that seeing a black president on television every day may be having some effect -- conscious or unconscious -- on the perceptions of voters even in the Republican-friendly deep South.

Two caveats: It's still very early -- the primary in Alabama isn't for another year -- and the polling cited above was paid for by Davis's campaign.

That said, should Davis make history as the first African-American governor of the Yellowhammer State, he is likely to owe a major debt to Obama's trailblazing candidacy last fall.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2009, 09:34:31 AM »

Not to be condescending but does anyone actually think Alabama will elect a black man to the Governor's office? :S

No.

I think Davis' support in the polls is overblown.

Obama regularly got 20% of Whites in SUSA polls prior to the election, but ended up with 10% on Election Day.

To win, Davis would need at least 30% of Whites, 3-times more than what Obama got.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2009, 08:43:13 PM »

58 percent favorability rating for Obama seems absurd.

Crappy internal
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2009, 10:47:59 PM »

Now I feel a lot better about this race.

Five way primary on the GOP side, Roy Moore could potential win with 30% of the vote, giving the Democrats a great shot.

http://moore2010.com/main

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2009/06/roy_moore_makes_it_official_he.html

Of course, Alabama has my condolences should Moore win the whole shebang
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2009, 01:39:28 AM »

There is actually a relatively good chance that Roy Moore could be running a state.

What an absolutely horrifying thought.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2009, 11:50:31 PM »

PPP will poll Alabama next week !

Smiley
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2009, 02:35:55 AM »

Sort of ironic that Artur and Moore both need each other to have a shot at winning, although that's logically what happens with two candidates such as these

If I were advising Davis against Roy I would suggest constant Biblical quotations and thanking Jesus.  Match him at least at least at an 8:10 for religiosity.  Don't get drawn into religious policy debates like abortion...
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2009, 08:23:16 AM »

Bah! Beat me to it, I was just about to post it.

Any guess on Obama's Approval?

I'll guess 39%.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2009, 08:55:23 AM »
« Edited: June 06, 2009, 08:57:57 AM by Jews For Palin-Romney 2012!!! »

My God ,Roy Moore is weird. Way to religious LOL.

Still as long as he won't force Jews to convert ,and as long as he's pro-Israel he's got my support.
Nevermind I'll support someone else.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2009, 01:54:21 AM »

Bah! Beat me to it, I was just about to post it.

Any guess on Obama's Approval?

I'll guess 39%.

Lower 40s I guess, with Davis trailing by about 5 points ...
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2009, 10:48:28 AM »

New poll by PPP:

Artur Davis (D) vs. Bradley Byrne (R): 35-39
Artur Davis (D) vs. Tim James (R): 37-35
Artur Davis (D) vs. Roy Moore (R): 41-38
Artur Davis (D) vs. Kay Ivey (R): 39-31

Ron Sparks (D) vs. Bradley Byrne (R): 27-41
Ron Sparks (D) vs. Tim James (R): 32-32
Ron Sparks (D) vs. Roy Moore (R): 36-38
Ron Sparks (D) vs. Kay Ivey (R): 33-29

PPP surveyed 667 Alabama voters from June 2nd to 5th. The survey’s margin of error is +/-3.8%. Other factors, such as refusal to be interviewed and weighting, may introduce additional error that is more difficult to quantify.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_AL_610.pdf
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2009, 10:51:35 AM »

Davis gets just 21% of Whites against Byrne. He needs about 30% to win.

Considering the fact that you always have to subtract about 10% from the Black guy AL Whites favor in pre-election polls, I can call this race for Byrne right now, barring any scandal.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2009, 11:25:52 AM »

And how do you know he will win the GOP primary?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2009, 11:33:08 AM »

I'll try to break this down:

In 5 Alabama tracking polls before the election, Obama got 19-21% among Whites in the 3 SurveyUSA polls and 2-times 19% on Rasmussen. According to the Alabama Exit Poll, he only got 10% of Whites on Election Day.

In 2004, John Kerry got 22%, 24% and 26% of Whites in 3 SurveyUSA tracking polls before the Election. He ended up with 19% of Whites.

So we have to assume that a generic Democrat in Alabama overpolls by at least 5% when it comes to Whites.

Now to the AL poll today:

Byrne leads Davis 52-21 among Whites. Lets assume the rest breaks like the decided did, making it about 71-29. If we apply the above rule, Davis can not expect to get more than 25% of Whites in the General Election returns.

Next, composition of the AL electorate on Election Day 2010:

In the Presidential years 2004 and 2008 the makeup was as followed:

2004: 73% White, 25% Black, 1% Latino, 1% Asian

2008: 65% White, 29% Black, 4% Latino, 2% Other

Because I think turnout will be different than in a Presidential year, it would normally see lower Back turnout. But given the fact that the first Black Governor could be elected, we might see something more in line with 2008.

So my early guess would be:

68% White
28% Black
3% Latino
1% Asian/Other

So, Davis will get 24/25% of Whites, I think we can agree that he can easily get the 98% of Blacks that Obama got. Let's also assume that 80% of "Others" will vote for him.

(68 x 0.25) + (28 x 0.98) + (4 x 0.80) = 47.64% statewide
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies