1860 election using popular vote with a runoff
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:45:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1860 election using popular vote with a runoff
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1860 election using popular vote with a runoff  (Read 1147 times)
rob in cal
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 13, 2009, 05:29:28 PM »

Assuming everything else was the same, but the US had a french style presidential election system, who would have won a runoff between Lincoln and Douglas.  I'd have to pick Douglas as he'd pick up the vast majority of Breckingridge and Bell voters in the runoff, enough to overtake Lincoln's ten point lead from the first round.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 06:16:10 PM »

I wouldn't be certain of that, especially in the case of Bell supporters.  They were mainly ex-Whigs who wanted to paper over the slavery issue.  Some will stay home rather than vote for a Democrat and others, especially in the north, would vote a fellow ex-Whig than a Democrat.  You'll also have a fair number of Breckenridge supporters who stay home as they don't see any difference between the two and would rather just go ahead and get secession in place.

I think it would be a close race, close enough that I could see some states decide to secede before the runoff took place rather than take their chances, in which case, Lincoln wins, otherwise, Douglas probably wins in a squeaker.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies