NYC - Map of results by Assembly District; now with added Queens!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:34:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  NYC - Map of results by Assembly District; now with added Queens!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: NYC - Map of results by Assembly District; now with added Queens!  (Read 45000 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2009, 08:43:58 PM »

I figured I'd post NYC's CD results, courtesy of swingstateproject. Some of these are quite intriguing. Obviously the majority black/hispanic districts (6, 10, 11, 12, 15, 16) were overwhelmingly Democratic, but here are the others:

(Obama percent first)

5   Queens (pt.)   67.02%   32.27%   

Also includes Nassau

7      79.12%   20.37%   

Bronx (pt.)   81.89%   17.73%   

Queens (pt.)   74.00%   25.28%   

8      73.70%   25.45%   

Brooklyn (pt.)   44.07%   55.31%   

Manhattan (pt.)   85.55%   13.51%   

9      55.32%   43.92%   

Brooklyn (pt.)   42.16%   57.19%   

Queens (pt.)   60.57%   38.62%   

13      48.74%   50.56%   

Brooklyn (pt.)   52.00%   47.18%   

Staten Island   47.64%   51.70%   

14      78.19%   20.92%   

Manhattan (pt.)   77.43%   21.74%   

Queens (pt.)   80.90%   18.05%   

17      Bronx (pt.)   86.87%   12.69%   

though most of NY-17 is outside NYC.

-------

I am surprised that NY-7 was more Democratic than NY-8 and NY-14, since the latter two contain some very liberal parts of Manhattan. Also, NY-9 (consisting of parts of Brooklyn and Queens) was only 55.32% Obama. NY-9 had a large GOP swing from 2000 to 2004, which I had assumed was mainly a 9-11 bounce, but Obama ran slightly behind Kerry. Can anyone explain Obama's poor performance in this area.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2009, 10:31:55 PM »

I assume Nassau County still hasn't released full results, preventing SSP from calculating the CD results in CDs 2, 3, 4, 5?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2009, 11:23:21 PM »

So Brooklyn has more Republican areas than Queens. Interesting, especially Brooklyn is the borough I'd most like to live in.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2009, 12:28:59 AM »

Bayside is interesting, considering how Democratic neighboring (and even wealthier) Great Neck is.

Also, what happened at College Point?

Great Neck is heavily Jewish.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2009, 01:51:05 AM »

Bayside is interesting, considering how Democratic neighboring (and even wealthier) Great Neck is.

True, but so are the whites in Bayside. Bayside just has a lot of Koreans in the mix, and more blacks and Hispanics than Great Neck, which shouldn't really make it less Democratic.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2009, 02:37:40 AM »

True, but so are the whites in Bayside. Bayside just has a lot of Koreans in the mix, and more blacks and Hispanics than Great Neck, which shouldn't really make it less Democratic.

Great Neck has a pretty large Asian population as well (the two high schools in Great Neck I believe are 25-30% Asian).   Great Neck is also more Jewish than Bayside.  I'm pretty sure Bayside has a sizeable Italian population as well something that Great Neck really doesn't have.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2009, 06:54:01 AM »

So Brooklyn has more Republican areas than Queens. Interesting, especially Brooklyn is the borough I'd most like to live in.

Yeah, but the parts of Brooklyn that voted McCain probably aren't the parts of Brooklyn you'd have much interest living in.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2009, 04:21:12 PM »

I think you'd find more Republicans in Queens, but the neighborhoods in Queens are more integrated, resulting in less defined "Republican"/"Democratic" areas. 
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2009, 04:25:54 PM »

Great Neck has a pretty large Asian population as well (the two high schools in Great Neck I believe are 25-30% Asian).   Great Neck is also more Jewish than Bayside.  I'm pretty sure Bayside has a sizeable Italian population as well something that Great Neck really doesn't have.

Not so sure on the Italian population in Bayside itself, but I just took another look at the districts map and noticed that the district also contains Whitestone, which I think is a very Italian and (non-Jewish) Eastern European area, generally Republican demographics in NYC.

Still wondering about College Point. Is that a coloration error on Al's part?
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2009, 04:37:48 PM »

I think this is the issue.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2009, 05:24:52 PM »

Not so sure on the Italian population in Bayside itself, but I just took another look at the districts map and noticed that the district also contains Whitestone, which I think is a very Italian and (non-Jewish) Eastern European area, generally Republican demographics in NYC.

Swing state has precinct level breakdowns, I know we had a precinct map of NYC on here not too long ago.  If we can dig that up we would be able to tell how certain areas went.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2009, 05:43:50 PM »

I am surprised that NY-7 was more Democratic than NY-8 and NY-14, since the latter two contain some very liberal parts of Manhattan. Also, NY-9 (consisting of parts of Brooklyn and Queens) was only 55.32% Obama. NY-9 had a large GOP swing from 2000 to 2004, which I had assumed was mainly a 9-11 bounce, but Obama ran slightly behind Kerry. Can anyone explain Obama's poor performance in this area.

NY-8 has Borough Park and Brighton Beach.  It also has a substantially higher white population than NY-7.  NY-14 whites are RICH - not really with the NY-8 whites in Brooklyn.

NY-9 contains lots of working class Italians and Eastern Europeans, especially Russians, in Brooklyn (not to mention Jews).  Very few blacks (the CD has been bleached - only 4%).  You know how those folks above think about blacks.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2009, 06:57:55 PM »

Queens by Precinct

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=p7Hn_T5RBt3Svkhr2nrqYCA

map of the 26th A.D
http://www.vote.nyc.ny.us/pdf/maps/ad/ad26.pdf

It looks like McCain's strongest portion of the district was Whitestone, he did hae a few precincts in Bayside in which he did quite well in, but for the most part it appears Whitestone was his strongest area.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2009, 08:29:20 PM »

From personal experience, Bayside has; or used to have anyway, a huge Italian American population. Most I met were not too fond of the brown man ...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2009, 12:24:59 AM »

It looks like McCain's strongest portion of the district was Whitestone

Great. That's where my New York relatives live.  Smiley
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #90 on: August 29, 2009, 05:43:37 PM »

QUEENS ADDED

I think Obama's best district was 57; McCain polled like 1% there. McCain's best was 48. Both are in Brooklyn and there's only one district between them. I think 48 is Dov Hikind's district.

If the lines look a little wonky in places it's because I drew the district outlines myself and racial gerrymandering is as evil to draw on such a small scale as it is morally.

^ Pretty sure those are Orthodox Jewish neighborhoods. I think the dark blue one is Boro/Borough Park. I would recommend reading about it on Wikipedia if you're curious.

I think the southernmost part of Brooklyn might be more like Staten Island--working class whites, probably mostly of Italian and Irish ancestry. But I'm not positive on that.

Basically, these are areas that aren't going to like a black guy named Hussein. Wink

I think this map is worth reposting now:

Green=White
Blue=Black
Red=Hispanic
Yellow=Asian
White=No majority

I know the scales are off, but does anyone know which ADs were among Obama's best in majority-white ADs?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: August 29, 2009, 07:23:29 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2009, 07:29:35 PM by Verily »

Going by the AD map, it looks like that would be Joan Millman's Park Slope-Carroll Gardens-Brooklyn Heights district, AD 52, which is really no surprise. Park Slope is the sort of neighborhood where the Greens could outpoll the Republicans.

That district is colored D>90% on the map, while all of the other majority white districts are D>80% or less.
Lephead
Rookie
United States

« Reply #92 on: August 31, 2009, 12:12:14 AM »

Here is an interesting statistic for you : In all 5 boroughs :

McCain won 806 Precincts average vote : Obama 138 McCain 243
Obama won 5263 Precincts average vote : Obama 373 McCain 62
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #93 on: September 06, 2009, 08:58:51 PM »

Obama's best in white ADs:

AD       borough             Obama    McCain      
69   Manhattan    91.17%   7.96%
52   Brooklyn    90.85%   8.18%
66   Manhattan    88.10%   10.79%
67   Manhattan    84.30%   14.85%
74   Manhattan    84.19%   14.80%   

Anyone have more details on these...
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #94 on: September 06, 2009, 11:14:06 PM »

#69 is the upper upper west side - Manhattan Valley, Morningside Heights, Bloomingdale.

#52 is Brooklyn Heights, Boerum Hill, Bay Ridge, Carroll Gardens and Cobble Hill.

#66 is Greenwich Village, SoHo, East Village and Tribeca.

#67 is the upper west side, and...hell, this

#74 is east Manhattan, also kind of a weird district.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: September 07, 2009, 12:29:53 AM »
« Edited: September 07, 2009, 12:34:49 AM by Verily »

Are you two sure AD 69 is white majority? Yes, Morningside Heights is white-majority, but Manhattan Valley is overwhelmingly minority, and I can't imagine Morningside Heights being more than 60% or so white. (I suppose if you include Hispanic whites in the total as opposed to as a separate category, AD 69 might be majority white.) Plus, that district has Manhattanville, too, and Manhattanville has almost no whites at all.

AD 52 is Inner Brooklyn, the basic very liberal but also very white areas of brownstone Brooklyn

AD 66 is Greenwich Village (very liberal and artsy, and also the home of NYU), the West Village (very gay), the East Village (very liberal, artsy and gentrifying), SoHo (artsy and fashionable), and TriBeCa (wealthy and liberal)

AD 67 is the Upper West Side (wealthy and also very liberal, as contrasted with the even more wealthy but much less liberal and traditionally Republican Upper East Side, although obviously not anymore as both of its districts were solidly for Obama) and Hell's Kitchen, a recently gentrifying neighborhood with a very large gay population

AD 74 is Stuy Town (an enormous housing cooperative), Alphabet City (artsy and gentrifying but still very poor along the East River), Gramercy (obscenely wealthy around Gramercy Park, otherwise bland "Manhattan middle class", which means mostly actual families with $200,000-$500,000 incomes), and Kips Bay and Murray Hill (wealthy but fairly commercial, relatively few residents compared to the rest of the district). It also contains the UN at the very northern edge of the district, but of course they don't vote (which also lowers the vote total in Murray Hill, tons of diplomats and foreign nationals).
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #96 on: September 07, 2009, 08:13:35 PM »

Are you two sure AD 69 is white majority? Yes, Morningside Heights is white-majority, but Manhattan Valley is overwhelmingly minority, and I can't imagine Morningside Heights being more than 60% or so white. (I suppose if you include Hispanic whites in the total as opposed to as a separate category, AD 69 might be majority white.) Plus, that district has Manhattanville, too, and Manhattanville has almost no whites at all.

It is actually white-plurality according to the 2000 census (can't find more recent data). White + Asian would put it over 50% keeping in mind that Asians reflect voting patterns of an area moreso than blacks or Hispanics.
Husker
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -5.70

« Reply #97 on: September 16, 2009, 10:02:19 PM »

I'm surprised McCain even broke 10% in AD 66. I haven't spent that much time there but it certainly struck me as being one of the most liberal areas in the U.S. I wouldn't have been shocked if Nader had picked up as many votes as McCain actually.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2009, 10:14:41 PM »

#52 is Brooklyn Heights, Boerum Hill, Bay Ridge, Carroll Gardens and Cobble Hill.

Bay Ridge isn't in the 52nd.

I'm surprised McCain even broke 10% in AD 66.

Me too.
ej2mm15
electoraljew2
United States

« Reply #99 on: November 12, 2009, 07:52:40 PM »

Pretty sure that McCain only really did well in Hassidic areas;

Some Russian areas as well.

the only Jewish Republicans I know are Russian Jews, and they're hard right. What's up with that?

I'm a Republican Jew, and not Russian.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies