NYC - Map of results by Assembly District; now with added Queens! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:10:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  NYC - Map of results by Assembly District; now with added Queens! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NYC - Map of results by Assembly District; now with added Queens!  (Read 45440 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« on: January 14, 2009, 10:27:39 PM »

A little insight re: the McCain areas in Brooklyn...

From the upper-left going to the lower right are Bay Ridge (Norwegian/Irish/mixed-white), Borough Park (Jewish), Midwood (Jewish), Bensonhurst (Italian), Bath Beach (Italian), Gravesend (Italian), Marine Park (Irish), Sheepshead Bay (mixed-white), and Brighton Beach and Manhattan Beach (Russian/Ukrainian Jews; aka "Little Odessa"). 

The two Obama areas surrounded by McCain areas in Brooklyn are Dyker Heights (mixed-white; affluent) and Coney Island (Black/Hispanic).

Dyker Heights is very affluent, but is pretty much Italian and is partially in #46 (the red district amidst the blue which is mainly Bay Ridge and in #49 (the blue district to the right below 48)

From the look of the Assembly maps and my knowledge of the area, the part in #46 appears to be the most affluent part of Dyker Heights, if that helps.

The strongest McCain parts of Brooklyn will undoubtedly be the Italian parts (even if affluent, like Dyker Heights), the Orthodox Jew parts (note the area where Williamsburg is within Brooklyn is shaded lighter red as well) and the Russian parts.  McCain probably won many of these precincts, I suspect.  The Russians really don't like black people, when I've talked to them, at least.  Tongue
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 08:50:10 PM »

AD49.  Mainly Bensonhurst.  Historic home of Italians, though the Russians and Asians have moved in, and the Italian population is getting older.  Has a pretty ugly racist history (not to mention Mafia history).

Need I say more.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 01:19:23 AM »

I wasn't aware of any Republican areas existing in Brooklyn. I thought they were all imprisoned on Staten Island. When was the last time Brooklyn was won by a Republican Presidential candidate? Was it 1924 when NYC voted for a GOP Prez for the last time?

There's a lot of racial gerrymandering in Brooklyn, in case you hadn't noticed.  The Italian, Russian and Orthodox Jews hate black people and yes, there are a number of those communities in Brooklyn.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 01:19:46 AM »

It looks like Weiner won some of the blacker parts of Brooklyn

Only because there are Jews in those areas as well.

It looks like he won >90% black areas, though...

Which ADs are you referring to?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 11:50:27 AM »

Pretty sure that McCain only really did well in Hassidic areas;

Some Russian areas as well.

Ah, the district does extend a little further east than I remembered, yes.

Ya, the blue area furthest to the east includes Brighton Beach.

I'd have to look at it precinct-by-precinct, of course.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 05:43:50 PM »

I am surprised that NY-7 was more Democratic than NY-8 and NY-14, since the latter two contain some very liberal parts of Manhattan. Also, NY-9 (consisting of parts of Brooklyn and Queens) was only 55.32% Obama. NY-9 had a large GOP swing from 2000 to 2004, which I had assumed was mainly a 9-11 bounce, but Obama ran slightly behind Kerry. Can anyone explain Obama's poor performance in this area.

NY-8 has Borough Park and Brighton Beach.  It also has a substantially higher white population than NY-7.  NY-14 whites are RICH - not really with the NY-8 whites in Brooklyn.

NY-9 contains lots of working class Italians and Eastern Europeans, especially Russians, in Brooklyn (not to mention Jews).  Very few blacks (the CD has been bleached - only 4%).  You know how those folks above think about blacks.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies