Citigroup and Bank of America to be nationalized?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:23:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Citigroup and Bank of America to be nationalized?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Citigroup and Bank of America to be nationalized?  (Read 4716 times)
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 15, 2009, 03:39:20 PM »

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/money_co/2009/01/nationalize-b-1.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It appears that the shotgun marriages between Wachovia/Citigroup and Bank of America/Merril Lynch have been absymal failures.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 03:46:35 PM »

Marriages of one drunk with cirrhosis to another drunk with cirrhosis usually don't turn out well.

Why they're interested in a threesome with another drunk with cirrhosis is beyond me...
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 04:45:39 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2009, 06:00:26 PM by Torie »

B of A per the radio apparently needs another 200 billion dollars. This bailout to bad debt holders of these sick banks is simply amazing, and just why the share price should not be zeroed out escapes me.  The main thing that needs to be done is to find an efficient way to dispose of bad assets.  Let the chips fall where they may. Once the bad assets have been cleansed, these bad ass mega banks can begin anew with different shareholders and debt holders, the prior ones having been zeroed out. The new boys on the block just purchase the bank shell with a cleansed balance sheet.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 05:44:31 PM »

It appears that the shotgun marriages between Wachovia/Citigroup and Bank of America/Merril Lynch have been absymal failures.

Especially the Wachovia/Citigroup one, since Wells Fargo swooped in and got Wachovia out from under Citigroup's nose.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 06:17:25 PM »

Through all of this, I've been glad that my money is with Wells Fargo, the only bank that doesn't seem to be imploding. Saying that, it'll probably collapse tomorrow morning. Roll Eyes
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 09:14:51 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2009, 09:17:25 PM by Pooh-Bah, the Lord High Everything Else »

*Vomits*

Note: this should not be seen as an endorsement or a condemnation of the possible nationalization, merely a sign of disgust and horror at the present situation.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 09:51:36 PM »

Wells Fargo, the only bank that doesn't seem to be imploding.

Don't rub it in my face. Sad I have a huge personal vendetta against Wells Fargo.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 11:28:38 PM »

Just let them fail.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 01:09:23 AM »

Through all of this, I've been glad that my money is with Wells Fargo, the only bank that doesn't seem to be imploding. Saying that, it'll probably collapse tomorrow morning. Roll Eyes

There are a number of other sound banks.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 08:51:38 AM »
« Edited: January 16, 2009, 08:53:58 AM by opebo »

B of A per the radio apparently needs another 200 billion dollars. This bailout to bad debt holders of these sick banks is simply amazing, and just why the share price should not be zeroed out escapes me.  The main thing that needs to be done is to find an efficient way to dispose of bad assets.  Let the chips fall where they may. Once the bad assets have been cleansed, these bad ass mega banks can begin anew with different shareholders and debt holders, the prior ones having been zeroed out. The new boys on the block just purchase the bank shell with a cleansed balance sheet.

Why would their be any 'new boys on the block' in a deflation/depression, Torie?  Economic activity will continue to spiral downward unless the State stops it - for example by printing up money to 'pay for' 'bad debts'.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 09:31:58 AM »

My money is with a local bank that has had no problems and continues to make auto and house loans.  But yes, Wells Fargo has been one of the smartest, at least for the larger banks, and they will likely come out on top when all is said and done.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 12:37:31 PM »

Wells Fargo?  In good shape?  lol

Without going too far in making assumptions, I don't think we can be sure that any of the large banks are solvent.  Surely some of them are, for now, but we have no clue.  And we can certainly not bet on their future solvency.

As for the regional/local banks, you have to pick and choose.  I would not trust the future solvency (though they may be presently solvent) of any bank that is significantly leveraged in commercial real estate, just FYI.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 07:34:24 PM »

Citigroup is splitting into two

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7833090.stm
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 07:39:52 PM »

Well, buying CITI stock at $15 a few months ago was pretty stupid, in retrospect.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 08:10:47 PM »

Have I ever told you guys that I don't really care for our definition of populist as "socially conservative, economically left?"

To me, populism more focuses on demagoguery and simple, counterproductive solutions to intricate problems that revolve around "sticking it to the Man."  Those can come from any angle of the political spectrum.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 10:59:17 PM »

Have I ever told you guys that I don't really care for our definition of populist as "socially conservative, economically left?"

To me, populism more focuses on demagoguery and simple, counterproductive solutions to intricate problems that revolve around "sticking it to the Man."  Those can come from any angle of the political spectrum.

Well said!
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009, 12:46:12 AM »

stop the madness!!!!
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2009, 02:26:45 AM »

Put your money in cooperatives, not in banks, like half of Quebecois did.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009, 04:11:27 PM »

Why do you think I can't stand populism? Just for that very reason.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2009, 07:22:12 PM »

I agree with fernie.

But considering most banks are probably insolvent or will soon be, the government should, before letting the insolvent banks fail, 1) examine the books of each bank so that it knows which banks are ok (i.e. which banks to back up) AND 2) if very few large banks are solvent (probable), capitalize new banks with the remaining TARP money, which can, after a while, be sold off to private investors.

Oh, and reinstitute Glass-Steagall.  And prepare stringent reporting regulations for the derivatives market or make the derivatives market illegal (whichever).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies