Question about Islam
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:07:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Question about Islam
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Question about Islam  (Read 5412 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2009, 01:08:41 AM »
« edited: February 13, 2009, 01:10:46 AM by jmfcst »

Pardon, I may be awfully stupid, but, I can't resist:

Second, both the Old and New Testament are historically accounted for within recorded human history.

You spoke mainly about NT here, and, I've the impress that in life in general most of people, evangelicals or not, just westerners, think that OT, outside of Genesis and miracles, mainly more or less refers to historical events.

Outside of miracles, according to historical facts, to works of historians, lot of things are or not exact or even didn't exist, like the... exodus! I've even been surprised about it. I didn't believe in the miracles of the Exodus but I thought it happened. According to the historian Israël Finkelstein, passioned by the Bible and who gave his life to find traces of what's in it through the historian facts, there is not the slightest trace of that event in facts and he says that if such a thing had happen it should had let of traces by several ways.

I've all on interview of him speaking about this, and his works in general, unluckily it's in French. If some are interested that's here.

there are many studies that have searched for physical evidence of the Exodus.  Some studies concluded there is no evidence, other studies concluded that there is evidence.

What has been generally agreed upon is that the descriptions of Egypt in the latter part of Genesis and the early part of Exodus were the product of someone who had extensive knowledge of Egypt.

Also, the biblical account of the overthrow of Jericho (within 45 years of the Exodus) and the biblically stated account that the city was not re-inhabited for hundreds of years, match the physical evidence found by archaeologists: they found evidence of a fire that engulfed and overthrew the city without a long siege (the storehouses of grain were barely touched, meaning there was no starvation prior to the complete overthrow), and evidence that there was a habitation gap of several hundred years.

Even the seasonal timing of the overthrown of Jericho (determined by the fact there was early grain in storehouses) matches the biblical account that Jericho was overthrown shortly after the Passover Feast.

Also, more proof of the Exodus account is the tomb of Joseph at Shechem .  It was opened and in it was found Egyptian-style mummified remains and a sword of the kind worn by Egyptian officials. (see Gen 50:25; Exo 13:19; Jos 24:32; Heb 11:22)
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2009, 09:00:42 AM »

Well, I read all what you say but I can't debate. I can just report the fact that this Historian, Israel Finkelstein which is passioned by the biblical account and who gave his life to check what is historical in it, said that according to works of Historians, there were not traces of such an event which should have let a lot by several ways.

Frankly, according to the interview I read from him I trust his sincerity and the fact that his not militant in his work. Maybe you could find English interview of him on the net if you're interested.

Then, you arrive with some evidences. I personally can't judge and I'm not so that interested by the debate of the truth or not of the biblical account. I just thought it was good to present that guy in this debate.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies