LA Republicans see Vitter as vulnerable
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:46:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  LA Republicans see Vitter as vulnerable
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: LA Republicans see Vitter as vulnerable  (Read 3509 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 17, 2009, 10:53:35 AM »

Jindal's staying on the sidelines. Lots of juicy quotes here... it looks like Louisiana isn't as exceptionally forgiving of "a colorful life" as has been thought.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 01:13:20 PM »

Who are the Democrats going to run? Their bench is Mitch Landrieu, Charlie Melancon, and Don Cazayoux.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 01:16:47 PM »

Who are the Democrats going to run? Their bench is Mitch Landrieu, Charlie Melancon, and Don Cazayoux.
Maybe they can turn Joseph Cao around. Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 01:17:16 PM »

Ray Nagin.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 01:28:34 PM »

Jindal really ought to run. I've been a supporter of serious primary for Vitter ever since the scandal. Cao would be fine as well.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 01:36:59 PM »

Oh God, don't ever say that.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 01:58:19 PM »

Charlie Melancon! He can win more easily than any Landrieu.

Charlie > Mary > Mitch
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 02:16:35 PM »

I hope Cao runs against him. That would be awesome.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 02:18:52 PM »

Jindal really ought to run. I've been a supporter of serious primary for Vitter ever since the scandal. Cao would be fine as well.

it might be wise to look at the 1st district. The last two reps have gone on to win statewide office, Jindal and Vitter. Unfortunately 2 of the last three Vitter and Livingston have had ethical problems. Steve Scalise despite no being there long is definately not knew. He spent several years in the State Senate and ran in 2004 in the primary. Jindal was only there a term and a half before running for Governor in 2007. The same length Scalise will have been there by 2010.  His seat would be a guranteed hold as it is one of the most Republican in the nation. Has any Republican congressmen ever run statewide and not be from the 1st. I expect that to change since LA is dominated by Republicans now.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 04:42:09 PM »

Has any Republican congressmen ever run statewide and not be from the 1st. I expect that to change since LA is dominated by Republicans now.

Rep. Cooksey was a frontrunner for the R Senate nomination in 2002 until he blew it and Suzanne Haik Terrell took up the slack.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 09:46:11 PM »

I think it's time for David Duke to run again.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 09:52:23 PM »

LOL no way. If you could take one of the most endangered incumbents and then fine a primary challenger even weaker then the incumbent, you just did. My hope is for Scalise or someone else to run.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 12:21:17 AM »

Indeed it would.  The fact that Louisiana has somehow found itself with two prominent Asian American Republicans in office is highly amusing to me and having Cao in the Senate would just add to that.  (Not to mention that Cao would probably be better than Vitter or any other generic Louisiana Republican).  It would be even more amusing if the GOP was able to successfully extrapolate their success with Asian Americans in Louisiana to a nationwide level.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 09:59:36 AM »

Indeed it would.  The fact that Louisiana has somehow found itself with two prominent Asian American Republicans in office is highly amusing to me and having Cao in the Senate would just add to that.  (Not to mention that Cao would probably be better than Vitter or any other generic Louisiana Republican).  It would be even more amusing if the GOP was able to successfully extrapolate their success with Asian Americans in Louisiana to a nationwide level.

At least it would give him a political future. Anything is better then staying where he is and becoming the next Michael Flanagan. Scalise can wait and challenge Landrieu in 2014 if necessary, so if its to save Cao I would give him this seat. 
RBH

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 05:10:55 PM »

Vitter would beat Cao in a primary. You all know that Louisiana Republican primaries are closed to non-Republicans, right?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2009, 06:12:20 PM »

That would actually be pretty hilarious. Talk about being lucky.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2009, 10:14:02 PM »

Cao would be better then the hypocrite, although Vitter doesn't bother me any.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2009, 10:58:55 PM »

I doubt the Republican party will be able to win the Asian vote anytime soon, but if Cao wants to stay in Washington, he better run for Vitter's seat because Dollar Bill will more than likely be back in '10.  Jindal will endorse him for sure, I'm just not sure that is enough to beat a white guy like Vitter.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009, 11:02:00 PM »

Dollar Bill ain't going anywhere but federal prison. Someone else will beat Cao.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2009, 11:25:02 PM »
« Edited: January 18, 2009, 11:29:06 PM by unempprof »

I hope you're right about Dollar Bill, but if he's out of jail, I bet he will run again and win.  The only way I can see him losing is if another black candidate runs and I don't know if there are any other black candidates interested in the seat.  In the 2008 primaries he was challenged by this lovely lady:

and well you can't win the Democratic vote in New Orleans if you look like that Smiley

Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2009, 01:42:40 AM »

unempprof,

NEW ORLEANS AREA PROTIP:

Moreno vs. Jefferson was the second round of the Democratic primary. In the first round was Moreno, Jefferson, and five non-indicted black men. Moreno got through because the black vote was so split and the white vote so focused on her. So yes, there were (and still are) plenty of other black candidates interested in the seat.

Jefferson won't make it through another Democratic primary here after going to jail. With his organization collapsed and no incumbency boost it's incredibly doubtful he'd even make it to the second round. The two biggest names I've heard thus far for 2010 are Cedric Richmond (woot!) and James Carter.

Also, Moreno is in no way lovely D:
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2009, 10:44:19 AM »

I doubt the Republican party will be able to win the Asian vote anytime soon, but if Cao wants to stay in Washington, he better run for Vitter's seat because Dollar Bill will more than likely be back in '10.  Jindal will endorse him for sure, I'm just not sure that is enough to beat a white guy like Vitter.

Even a scummy, hypocrtical white guy like Vitter?
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2009, 06:34:44 PM »

unempprof,

NEW ORLEANS AREA PROTIP:

Moreno vs. Jefferson was the second round of the Democratic primary. In the first round was Moreno, Jefferson, and five non-indicted black men. Moreno got through because the black vote was so split and the white vote so focused on her. So yes, there were (and still are) plenty of other black candidates interested in the seat.

Jefferson won't make it through another Democratic primary here after going to jail. With his organization collapsed and no incumbency boost it's incredibly doubtful he'd even make it to the second round. The two biggest names I've heard thus far for 2010 are Cedric Richmond (woot!) and James Carter.

I find her very attractive Smiley
I wasn't aware of that, but still if there are 5 or more black candidates and they split the vote, a non-black candidate could prevail like Moreno did, and if he or she runs against Cao without the support of the black community, they would have a hard time winning.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2009, 06:39:05 PM »

Even a scummy, hypocrtical white guy like Vitter?

Yes.  White guy (any white guy) > non-White guy > Black guy
The opposite is true for Blacks of course.  It's no coincidence that when Jindal ran for governor he lost many traditional republican areas to the white democratic candidate. 

But he doesn't have to lose to Vitter.  If Vitter is primaried (very likely), Cao won't be the only one to do so, and any random white guy has a better chance than him, unless Jindal has more influence than I think he does.

they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2009, 07:51:18 PM »

unempprof,

NEW ORLEANS AREA PROTIP:

I find her very attractive Smiley
I wasn't aware of that, but still if there are 5 or more black candidates and they split the vote, a non-black candidate could prevail like Moreno did, and if he or she runs against Cao without the support of the black community, they would have a hard time winning.

What are the blacks going to do, vote for Cao? See Cohen in TN-09. A white candidate won't be a problem, though a non-criminal black is the more likely nominee.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies