Bill in Congress repealing 22nd Amendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:45:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bill in Congress repealing 22nd Amendment
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bill in Congress repealing 22nd Amendment  (Read 1902 times)
frihetsivrare
Volksliberalist

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 20, 2009, 05:39:28 PM »

http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/7596

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.J.Res.5:

This House resolution, if passed, would enable Barack Obama to be the President until he dies.  This is one of the most dangerous bills ever.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 05:43:55 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2009, 05:50:38 PM by Joe Republic »

This would be the seventh consecutive congressional session in which José Serrano has introduced this resolution.  The past six efforts all died pretty quickly.  Don't worry yourself unduly.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 05:50:02 PM »

I'm sure there have been a lot more scary bills in the past 250 years.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 06:04:20 PM »

Let's hope it passes.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 06:18:25 PM »

This House resolution, if passed, would enable Barack Obama to be the President until he dies.  This is one of the most dangerous bills ever.

God forbid we actually uphold the democratic principle of electing someone when we so choose to do so. There is no point to the 22nd amendment other than to limit the Democratic process.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 06:20:47 PM »

If this passes, I will personally give 10 random forrumites $100 each.

EDIT: Passes as in passes the states as well, not just Congress.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 06:24:08 PM »

I am in favor of term limits, but there's no need to exaggerrate my friend.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 06:25:17 PM »

This Congressman represents the Bronx Zoo and probably should move in.

His district is the poorest one in the country, interesting.  Also it has the most Democratic Cook score
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 06:44:17 PM »

I actually support repealing the 22nd Amendment.  I think, via the Electoral College, the voters should choose.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 07:05:41 PM »

It should be repealed. As should the requirements of being a natural-born citizen & of being 35 years of age or older.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 04:56:58 AM »

It should be repealed for the simple reason of its flawed language, no matter what you think of term limits in general.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 05:59:58 AM »

It should be repealed. As should the requirements of being a natural-born citizen & of being 35 years of age or older.

Cuz then Obama would be ineligible amirite? Tongue
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 06:00:42 AM »

This would be the seventh consecutive congressional session in which José Serrano has introduced this resolution.  The past six efforts all died pretty quickly.  Don't worry yourself unduly.
Those past sessions, Barry wasn't president yet.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 09:41:11 AM »

Those past sessions, Barry wasn't president yet.

I see now! Congressman Serrano quietly conspired with Illinois State Senator Obama starting in 2003 so that their plan to install him as dictator for life would initially not be taken seriously!
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 11:38:15 AM »

I've always just thought it was a dumb requirement. If you've lived in the country your whole life, you want to be President, & the public wants you to be President, it's quite blatantly undemocratic to forbid you the opportunity. I trust the public to not elect Osama bin Laden.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 12:42:42 PM »

I support removal of the 22nd amendment, its up to the people how long they want the President in office, no law should control it.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 02:17:04 PM »

I've always just thought it was a dumb requirement. If you've lived in the country your whole life, you want to be President, & the public wants you to be President, it's quite blatantly undemocratic to forbid you the opportunity. I trust the public to not elect Osama bin Laden.

Of course it's undemocratic. The whole point of the constitution is to place limits on democracy.
I think preventing the emergence of Presidents for Life (or Senators and Representatives for that matter, which is why I support a legislative term limits amendment) offers much greater benefits than the damage of people not being able to elect someone they love because he brings pork to the district.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 04:05:15 PM »

Of course it's undemocratic. The whole point of the constitution is to place limits on democracy.
I think preventing the emergence of Presidents for Life (or Senators and Representatives for that matter, which is why I support a legislative term limits amendment) offers much greater benefits than the damage of people not being able to elect someone they love because he brings pork to the district.

Therefore it would make far more sense to enforce limits on pork spending than on how long an individual can serve in office.  Also, what does "bringing pork to the district" have to do with the 22nd Amendment?

Oh and also, you forgot to respond to Bacon King's snarky response to your snarky response to me.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 04:17:15 PM »

Let's hope it fails.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 04:38:42 PM »

Therefore it would make far more sense to enforce limits on pork spending than on how long an individual can serve in office.  Also, what does "bringing pork to the district" have to do with the 22nd Amendment?

Oh and also, you forgot to respond to Bacon King's snarky response to your snarky response to me.

Joe, they say power corrupts. The more time a person serves in the legislature, the more power they yield. I think if you don't see the problem here, then there is nothing I can do to help you, because your naivete will only go away when it's confronted by harsh reality--probably that day of reckoning isn't too far away, given the expectations you deposit on the Dear Leader.
I mentioned bringing pork to the district because there was talk of legislative term amendments too, but you can argue that the one President for Life the US had really did nothing more than bring pork to the entire country.

As for Bacon King, I'd missed his post. The answer is that no, Rep whatshisname is just an useful idiot.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 07:45:17 PM »

Joe, they say power corrupts. The more time a person serves in the legislature, the more power they yield.

This is true, although again, a lot of that power (and reason for their constituents to re-elect them) would be limited by stricter rules on pork spending.  Still, for somebody who earlier today criticized another poster for not trusting people with guns, you seem to have a major problem trusting people not to vote for somebody because they've been in office a little too long.

I think if you don't see the problem here, then there is nothing I can do to help you, because your naivete will only go away when it's confronted by harsh reality--probably that day of reckoning isn't too far away, given the expectations you deposit on the Dear Leader.

Less of the patronizing tone please, as well as the presumption that I expect much from Barack Obama.  It's very unbecoming of you.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2009, 08:13:54 PM »

Obviously I'm hardly an Obama groupie but I don't have a serious problem with this. There is no reason to have a 22nd amendment if the legislative branch (and many other smaller executive offices) has no such restrictions at all. Besides, if we had abolished the 22nd amendment earlier we would have avoided the utter disaster that was the Bush administration.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies