first time a president sworn in by a chief justice he voted against
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:05:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  first time a president sworn in by a chief justice he voted against
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: first time a president sworn in by a chief justice he voted against  (Read 812 times)
rob in cal
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 21, 2009, 11:46:56 AM »

I believe Obama voted against the confirmation of John Roberts for chief justice in 2005.  I'm thinking this would mark the first time a new president was sworn in by someone whose confirmation he voted against as a senator.  Yet another historical first.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 12:13:52 PM »

This is true.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 07:12:41 PM »

Relevant update: a new President being sworn-in by a Chief Justice whose confirmation he voted against as a Senator happened yet again earlier this year, marking only the 2nd such occurrence in American history.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 08:04:51 PM »

If Trump had won re-election, we would have witnessed the first time a Chief Justice swore in a president whose impeachment trial he had presided over (twice).
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 08:05:01 PM »

Kerry was supposed to be Prez, 2004 and appointes the next CJ and Bush W won and Obama was close to David Axelrod and along with Kerry, Daley Edwards and Biden shared the same law firm

David Axelrod was campaign chairman for all of them including Mondale, and Rahm Emanuel, that's why Obama voted against Roberts
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 08:18:44 PM »

If Trump had won re-election, we would have witnessed the first time a Chief Justice swore in a president whose impeachment trial he had presided over (twice).

Tbf, if Trump had actually won re-election, then there presumably wouldn't have been a 2nd trial on account of there having presumably been no need for there to be an insurrection for Trump to have incited in such an alternate timeline.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 10:11:55 PM »

I took the title the other way.  If it didn't happen earlier, it certainly happened when Taney swore in Lincoln in 1860.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 02:17:49 AM »

As a senator, Hugo Black voted against confirming Charles Evans Hughes; when he became a Justice, he was sworn in by Chief Justice Hughes.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 04:00:29 AM »

Tbf, if Trump had actually won re-election, then there presumably wouldn't have been a 2nd trial on account of there having presumably been no need for there to be an insurrection for Trump to have incited in such an alternate timeline.

It's hard to know whether there would have been a second trial for something else. Trump was insanely corrupt and may have broken norms so badly that Dems would feel the need to rebuke him again, especially in 2023. However, a 2020 Trump win and the lack of a Capitol Riot would make it impossible to even hope that the Republican establishment would turn on Trump so maybe Dems only impeached him because they thought there was a chance to actually score a conviction in the Senate.  Trump winning after being impeached the first time may imply that it backfired too, though oddly there were very few of those takes despite the overperformance (or more accurately bad polling).
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 08:50:07 AM »

Huh. I wonder which Chief Justice has sworn in the most presidents.

There have been a couple of periods where a number of single-terms happened in succession, so I imagine probably at some point in either the early 19th or 20th centuries.
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 08:56:28 AM »

There have been a couple of periods where a number of single-terms happened in succession, so I imagine probably at some point in either the early 19th or 20th centuries.

According to supremecourthistory.org, John Marshall holds the record for both the number of presidents sworn in (5), and the number of times the oath of office was administered (9).
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2021, 09:00:53 AM »
« Edited: May 03, 2021, 09:08:36 AM by Southern Deputy Speaker Punxsutawney Phil »

# of presidents first sworn in by each CJOTUS:
Jay 1
Rutledge 0
Ellsworth 1
Marshall 5
Taney 9
Chase 2
Waite 4
Fuller 4
White 2
Taft 2
Hughes 1
Stone 1
Vinson 1
Warren 3
Burger 3
Rehnquist 3
Roberts 3
It's Taney.
EDIT: I forgot that it was possible for Presidents to be sworn in by judges besides the CJOTUS. I had Taney at 9 because 9 presidents took office when he was in the job.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2021, 09:02:11 AM »

Well, it depends on how you look at it.

Chief Justice John Marshall did the swearing-in process 9 times (but with 5 different presidents). Chief Justice Roger B. Taney did the swearing process in 7 times (with 7 different presidents).
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2021, 09:06:45 AM »

According to supremecourthistory.org, John Marshall holds the record for both the number of presidents sworn in (5), and the number of times the oath of office was administered (9).
But Taney sworn-in 7 separate presidents? Huh
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2021, 09:07:56 AM »

I took the title the other way.  If it didn't happen earlier, it certainly happened when Taney swore in Lincoln in 1860.

Speaking from which, it's kind of surprising Taney wasn't removed from the court: without the Southern senators, there were probably the votes to do so.
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2021, 09:12:03 AM »

But Taney sworn-in 7 separate presidents? Huh

OK, I misread what the site said.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2021, 11:41:08 AM »

I think more likely than not he would have been impeached again for something, but probably not before the inauguration.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2021, 01:38:16 PM »

And furthermore, Roberts did not preside over Trump's second impeachment trial.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2021, 02:01:22 PM »

And furthermore, Roberts did not preside over Trump's second impeachment trial.

Yes, but only because Trump was no longer the incumbent President by the time when the trial began. In an alternate universe in which Trump won re-election & then managed to get himself impeached again, though, Roberts obviously would've presided again.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies