NY-20 Special Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:59:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY-20 Special Election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 41
Author Topic: NY-20 Special Election  (Read 179135 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: April 01, 2009, 01:14:45 PM »

I want to see what Nate Silver (peace be upon him) projects.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #651 on: April 01, 2009, 01:21:25 PM »

The projections -- based off of the county performances by Murphy and state Assemblyman Jim Tedisco (R) on election night -- show the Democrat gaining 115 votes in Warren County, 96 votes in Columbia County and 70 votes in Washington County as well as scoring smaller gains in several other counties. Tedisco's only major gain, according to the model, will be in Saratoga County where he will net an additional 116 votes.

The Democratic projection puts the total number of absentee and military ballots at 5,584 with Murphy winning 2,864 and Tedisco taking 2,720. On election night, Murphy held a 65-vote lead -- 77,344 to 77,279.

Republicans insist that any such "projections" are not an appropriate gauge of what the eventual universe of absentee ballots will look like.

I'd love to see that model.  Even the number of absentee ballots cast doesn't match what we actually know about the number of absentees that have already come in - it's higher.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #652 on: April 01, 2009, 01:22:26 PM »

what will RowanBrandon say if the Democrat wins here, considering Murphy was ahead on election night?

Was it still rigged?
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #653 on: April 01, 2009, 02:28:36 PM »

Let's do some math, shall we? Number of absentees submitted by party:

Democrat: 2,105

Republican: 2,863

Other: 904(includes Independents, Conservative Party, Independence Party, Working Families party)

Let's say Tedisco wins 70% of the Rep vote(reasonable), and Murphy gets 90% of the Dem vote(reasonable), and the "other" splits 50/50(again reasonable), Tedisco wins by 100 votes.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #654 on: April 01, 2009, 02:29:20 PM »
« Edited: April 01, 2009, 02:33:18 PM by cinyc »

The unofficial numbers have been revised after Columbia County rechecked the machines (supposedly).   It's down to Murphy +25:

Murphy 77,217
Tedisco 77,192

Edit: The 6-vote difference from the AP and Saratogian/my tally yesterday was from 6 extra Tedisco votes in Delaware County.  That's been reflected in the updated Saratogian numbers.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #655 on: April 01, 2009, 02:30:09 PM »

Other: 904(includes Independents, Conservative Party, Independence Party, Working Families party)

Let's say Tedisco wins 70% of the Rep vote(reasonable), and Murphy gets 90% of the Dem vote(reasonable), and the "other" splits 50/50(again reasonable), Tedisco wins by 100 votes.

Where did you get those absentee numbers?
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #656 on: April 01, 2009, 02:33:18 PM »

Where did you get those absentee numbers?

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=M2Q1MjdiOGQ2NTAyNGZmOTAyM2E5NGNhODkzZTg2NzE=
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #657 on: April 01, 2009, 02:35:47 PM »

But a hundred votes is practically nowt when over a hundred thousand have been cast in total.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #658 on: April 01, 2009, 02:36:56 PM »

But a hundred votes is practically nowt when over a hundred thousand have been cast in total.

He would win though. That's my point.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #659 on: April 01, 2009, 02:41:39 PM »

That's reasonable, but it's just a fucking mindless guess as to what the breakdown will be.  Those numbers could easily be adjusted to other reasonable numbers that would show Murphy gaining.  If we're using the district as a  base, Murphy did better among Independents.  Remember that Murphy ended up winning on election night despite the fact that far more Republican ballots were cast than Democratic ones.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #660 on: April 01, 2009, 02:43:07 PM »

what will RowanBrandon say if the Democrat wins here, considering Murphy was ahead on election night?

Was it still rigged?

No, Tedisco will win.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #661 on: April 01, 2009, 02:43:39 PM »

That's reasonable, but it's just a fucking mindless guess as to what the breakdown will be.  Those numbers could easily be adjusted to other reasonable numbers that would show Murphy gaining.  If we're using the district as a  base, Murphy did better among Independents.  Remember that Murphy ended up winning on election night despite the fact that far more Republican ballots were cast than Democratic ones.

How do we know Murphy did better among Independents? There's no confirmation of that. No exit polls were taken.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #662 on: April 01, 2009, 02:46:35 PM »

Well, we do have normal polls, which count for something (exit polls are flawed too).  And we have the raw facts on the ground that the Republicans enjoy a significant registration advantage.

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that Murphy likely won Independents, either that, or did freakishly well among Republicans.  Either way, your assumptions about what leads to a narrow Tedisco win, while reasonable, aren't the only reasonable prediction out there.  I could slightly adjust your numbers to something else "reasonable" and Murphy would end up winning.  To just make a random crapshoot guess and then declare flatly that "Tedisco will win" is an exercise is ridiculousness
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #663 on: April 01, 2009, 02:46:45 PM »

Was it still rigged?
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #664 on: April 01, 2009, 02:48:07 PM »

Well, we do have normal polls, which count for something (exit polls are flawed too).  And we have the raw facts on the ground that the Republicans enjoy a significant registration advantage.

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that Murphy likely won Independents, either that, or did freakishly well among Republicans.  Either way, your assumptions about what leads to a narrow Tedisco win, while reasonable, aren't the only reasonable prediction out there.  I could slightly adjust your numbers to something else "reasonable" and Murphy would end up winning.  To just make a random crapshoot guess and then declare flatly that "Tedisco will win" is an exercise is ridiculousness

I didn't say he will win, I said using that projection he would win by 100 votes. Also the Siena poll had Tedisco up 45-44 among Independents...
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #665 on: April 01, 2009, 02:48:28 PM »

All Murphy or Tedisco needs to do is win by 1 vote.  Winning by 100 votes would be gravy.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #666 on: April 01, 2009, 02:49:35 PM »

Ok I misinterpreted your post where you said "Tedisco would win though, that's my point."

Fair enough.  Tedisco clearly can still win this and I don't think anyone's disputing that.  Hell, I think he's slightly favored depending on how aggressively the Democratic machine encouraged absentee votes.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #667 on: April 01, 2009, 02:50:56 PM »

Was it still rigged?

This isn't a recount. These are votes still needing to be counted. If Murphy's up when these ballots are counted than so be it.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #668 on: April 01, 2009, 02:51:32 PM »

The projections -- based off of the county performances by Murphy and state Assemblyman Jim Tedisco (R) on election night -- show the Democrat gaining 115 votes in Warren County, 96 votes in Columbia County and 70 votes in Washington County as well as scoring smaller gains in several other counties. Tedisco's only major gain, according to the model, will be in Saratoga County where he will net an additional 116 votes.

The Democratic projection puts the total number of absentee and military ballots at 5,584 with Murphy winning 2,864 and Tedisco taking 2,720. On election night, Murphy held a 65-vote lead -- 77,344 to 77,279.

Republicans insist that any such "projections" are not an appropriate gauge of what the eventual universe of absentee ballots will look like.

I'd love to see that model.  Even the number of absentee ballots cast doesn't match what we actually know about the number of absentees that have already come in - it's higher.

"Democratic operatives have broken down the county-by-county distribution of the outstanding absentee ballots, and the party is assuming that the results from the absentee ballots will mirror the Election Night results. "

"The memo also says it can’t identify the county origins of some 300 ballots, another wild-card in the estimate."

http://www.politico.com/blogs/scorecard/0409/Democrats_project_Murphy_victory.html
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #669 on: April 01, 2009, 02:54:09 PM »
« Edited: April 01, 2009, 02:56:52 PM by cinyc »

I don't know how you could necessarily conclude Murphy did better among (small-I) independents or that more Republican ballots were cast than Democratic ones.  I've seen no turnout figures by party, and there was no exit poll.  For all we know, Democrats could have gotten more of their registered voters out than Republicans.  Registered Republicans aren't a majority in the district.

*- I say small-I independents because capital-I Independents could be construed to mean members of the Independence Party in New York.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #670 on: April 01, 2009, 02:56:04 PM »

Was it still rigged?

This isn't a recount. These are votes still needing to be counted. If Murphy's up when these ballots are counted than so be it.

Now you're contradicting yourself.

You were complaining that Coleman's lead went down from 700 to 200 or something like that between election night and the begin of the recount, implying that such changes were not normal.

Now what if Tedisco jumps into the lead before the count is over? How is that different?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #671 on: April 01, 2009, 02:58:34 PM »

They're not a majority in the absentee ballots either.  They have both a plurality in the district and a plurality of absentee ballots.  There are a lot of ways to guess at where the numbers go.

(I was wrong though when I implied that the latest Sienna poll showed Murphy doing better among Independents).  We just don't know, that's my point.  I think Tedisco is marginally favored until we find out more details about how aggressively Murphy's campaign pushed for absentee votes, so I'm not trying to shill for Murphy here, just trying to point out how ambiguous this is until we learn more.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #672 on: April 01, 2009, 03:02:12 PM »

"Democratic operatives have broken down the county-by-county distribution of the outstanding absentee ballots, and the party is assuming that the results from the absentee ballots will mirror the Election Night results. "

"The memo also says it can’t identify the county origins of some 300 ballots, another wild-card in the estimate."

http://www.politico.com/blogs/scorecard/0409/Democrats_project_Murphy_victory.html

This mystery could probably be solved with 10 phone calls to the 10 county boards of elections.  I'm surprised nobody in the media has bothered to do that yet.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #673 on: April 01, 2009, 03:02:37 PM »

Affidavit (provisional) ballots, too, folks!  I have no idea why the media is totally ignoring them.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #674 on: April 01, 2009, 05:00:59 PM »

Was it still rigged?

Now you're contradicting yourself.

You were complaining that Coleman's lead went down from 700 to 200 or something like that between election night and the begin of the recount, implying that such changes were not normal.

Now what if Tedisco jumps into the lead before the count is over? How is that different?

UH OH, Murphy's lead has shrunk since election day from 65 to 25.  Someone must have STOLEN THE ELECTION
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies