Tiahrt and Moran both declared
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:17:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Tiahrt and Moran both declared
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which is more awesome?
Tiahrt

Moran

Bullet

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 18

Author Topic: Tiahrt and Moran both declared  (Read 4502 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 25, 2009, 09:26:29 PM »

http://www.kansasliberty.com/liberty-update-archive/2009/19jan/congressman-tiahrt-says-hes-committed-to-seeking-u-s-senate-seat-even-if-it-means-a-primary-with-congressman-moran/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/columnists/steve_kraske/story/999702.html

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 09:29:29 PM »

Haha, awesome.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 09:31:32 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2009, 09:35:15 PM by Lunar »

A competitive primary between equals could assist Sebelius's chances.

I had always assumed that Moran had the advantage because he declared earlier (and thus can get the best consultants & connections rolling faster) but I'm a little less sure now that Tiahrt is making it obvious he's been planning this for a long time.

Tiahrt seems to be the slightly more moderate of the two and as said above, Moran has more GOP voters in his district.  I wouldn't expect them to vote any different though
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 09:32:18 PM »

I'm pretty sure Tiahrt (based on the name and some research) is a Dutch. I know who I am supporting.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 09:50:34 PM »

Uh oh, I don't want to have a bloody primary.  Look what happened in AL-02.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 09:57:18 PM »

Uh oh, I don't want to have a bloody primary.  Look what happened in AL-02.

What happened there?  The difference, I suppose, with this is that the bloody primary battle would not be between two different ideological or even regional factions.  Tiahrt has an R+12 district and Moran has an R+20 district, but is there any real difference?

they're basically regional neighbors in Western Kansas too, representing the 1st and 4th
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 09:58:04 PM »

I had always assumed that Moran had the advantage because he declared earlier (and thus can get the best consultants & connections rolling faster) but I'm a little less sure now that Tiahrt is making it obvious he's been planning this for a long time.

Tiahrt seems to be the slightly more moderate of the two and as said above, Moran has more GOP voters in his district.  I wouldn't expect them to vote any different though

Tiahrt has something of a regional advantage in the two districts which are not represented by either Moran or himself, however, being slightly more urban-oriented around Wichita and therefore likely to play well among Republicans in Topeka and Kansas City, who aren't all that different from Republicans in Wichita but are very different from Republicans in the middle of nowhere. Which makes me think Tiahrt will win the nomination.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »

That's a nice side-effect, yes, but I was mostly happy because bloody primaries are always the best.
RBH

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 10:33:39 PM »

Read "What's the Matter with Kansas" in regards to Tiahrt.

Tiahrt is pretty far to the right of Moran.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 10:36:26 PM »

Moran has won election three times with over 89% of the vote.

That's a big obstacle for Tiahrt to overcome.

Some weird items from Moran's new website:

He probably should elaborate more on his vote against "Anti-Pedophilia Act" too instead of briefly mentioning his opposition.
RBH

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 10:47:03 PM »

Moran won re-election with over 89% three times because he was running against a Libertarian.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 10:48:51 PM »

Moran won re-election with over 89% three times because he was running against a Libertarian.

The logic behind that isn't as important as the fact that a lot of people/Republicans are used to voting for him
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 11:33:40 PM »

The difference between Tiahrt and Moran is this. Moran is more traditional Conservative and has a very good record on Immigration. Tiarht is the product of a local Big Oil tycoon's ever visible hand in state politics. Tiarht for a very long time had a D rating on Immigraiton from Americans for Better Immigration. But suddenly his score has shot up to a B. Is that cause he is running for the Senate. Maybe. If you haven't guessed I'm am supporting Moran.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 11:58:48 PM »

I really don't care who wins, but the day I see a negative ad in the Republican primary would be the day I know the race is leaning toward the Democrats (assuming Sebelius runs).
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 10:14:28 AM »

According to CQPolitics, in 2008, both Moran and Tiahrt supported President Bush (69% of the time. Moran had a party unity vote of 90%; Tiahrt 92%

Moran appears to be the more moderate Smiley of the two. In 2007, Tiahrt was the 87th (rated 80.3%) most conservative member of the House; Moran, the 158th (rated 65.3%) by National Journal

Dave

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2009, 11:52:54 AM »

Who was #1 in 2007?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 02:12:46 PM »

Not so much who was the most conservative, more a question of who were:

Doug Lamborn (CO-05); Lynn Westmoreland (GA-03); John Linder (GA-07); Phil Gingrey (GA-11); John Boehner (OH-08); Randy Neugebauer (TX-19)

Dave
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 02:36:51 PM »

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY MORAN POLITICIANS
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2009, 12:21:45 PM »

I'm pretty sure Tiahrt (based on the name and some research) is a Dutch. I know who I am supporting.

LOL!

And you call me a bigot?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2009, 12:54:28 PM »

LOL!

And you call me a bigot?

My dislike has never bordered on your bigotry. Plus, just because I dislike certain cultures doesn't mean that I seriously dislike certain individuals.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2009, 04:50:05 PM »

LOL!

And you call me a bigot?

My dislike has never bordered on your bigotry. Plus, just because I dislike certain cultures doesn't mean that I seriously dislike certain individuals.

Is Tiahrt no longer an individual?  I always suspected as much.  I guess "seriously" could be an operative word though
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2009, 06:45:17 PM »

LOL!

And you call me a bigot?

Is Tiahrt no longer an individual?  I always suspected as much.  I guess "seriously" could be an operative word though

Do I know him as an individual? Obviously not. If I was a Republican voter in Kansas, I'd obviously allow myself to get to know the candidates. Come on. I wouldn't seriously dismiss someone because of their heritage.

The fact of the matter is that they seem to be two very similar people on policy and I think whoever wins the primary is going to the Senate so since I'm not voting in Kansas, I couldn't really care less. However, I will "take points off" because he's Dutch.  Tongue
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2009, 05:22:57 AM »

http://thehill.com/campaign-2008/kansas-gop-senate-nominee-may-be-matter-of-personality-2009-02-17.html

Both of them are white, mid-50s men who have been in Congress since the mid-1990s; both rate as tried-and-true conservatives; both are former state senators; both have survived recent elections with ease; and both are relative unknowns outside their home state.

Discerning any major differences between Kansas GOP Reps. Jerry Moran and Todd Tiahrt requires a microscope, but as the Senate primary between them builds steam, wedges are beginning to be laid.

On policy issues, Moran is seen as a conservative with an independent streak befitting of his highly rural district. Tiahrt, meanwhile, is judged a hard-right, party-line Republican.

The GOP primary for the state’s open Senate seat is sure to be a battle of two men trying to out-conservative each other. But the looming threat of a general election with term-limited centrist Gov. Kathleen Sebelius (D) is giving some Republicans pause about that scenario.

Should Sebelius opt not to run, the GOP primary is almost sure to be the de facto general election.

“I have assumed from the very beginning when I planned this campaign that Gov. Sebelius is my opponent,” Moran said. “Whether that is the case or not, I don’t know.”

Therein lies one of Moran’s biggest assets, Kansas Republicans say.

State Republicans see Moran as a better match-up with Sebelius, whom one of them labeled the “bogeyman” in the GOP primary. They say he can better appeal to independents and note that he represents, geographically, more than two-thirds of the state.

His district was formerly represented by another Sebelius, the governor’s father-in-law, and she won two terms in Topeka largely on the strength of her performance in the starkly conservative district.

But Moran has taken 79 percent of the vote or more in each of his reelection campaigns in the district, which is difficult to campaign in, and which could therefore prove challenging for Sebelius.

Moran was also in the race first, and he has more than twice as much money ($2.5 million) to start with as Tiahrt.

But calling Moran a party favorite is a stretch. In fact, he has rubbed many Kansas Republicans the wrong way.

Many of them credit a disastrous 2006 gubernatorial campaign to Moran’s lollygagging on the race. He deliberated so long, they said, that when he decided not to make a bid, no candidate was able to mount a serious run at Sebelius.

Tiahrt is seen as someone who has done a lot more for the state party, raising money for state legislators and doing the things necessary to promote the GOP. He has also shown leadership aspirations, including running for chairman of the Republican Study Committee in 2006.

“There’s an opinion out there that Tiahrt is a Republican’s Republican, and Moran is more driven by himself,” said a state GOP operative.

That evaluation has often held true when it comes to voting, as well.

While Moran is surely a conservative by Washington standards, Kansans are more divided on the question. He has broken with his party on some economic and foreign issues, including opposing the Cuban embargo and being one of 25 House GOPers to oppose the 2003 Medicare Prescription Drug Bill.

His campaign is prepared to highlight several votes on which he has tacked more conservative than Tiahrt, including voting against the creation of the Department of Homeland Security and No Child Left Behind. Tiahrt voted for the original House version of No Child Left Behind in 2001, though he later voted against the conference report.

One of the most potent lines of attack, though, could be going after Tiahrt for being an appropriator. Tiahrt led the effort to strip an earmark moratorium from the Republican Caucus’s list of priorities after the 2008 election.

Tiahrt notes that many of his earmarks have been highly beneficial, including one that was used to find the famed BTK killer.

Tiahrt’s campaign isn’t yet signaling policy issues on which it intends to draw distinctions from Moran, but there is already some sense that things are headed down an inevitable path.

Tiahrt’s rallying cry — “I’m not afraid to take on the difficult fights” — is seen as a not-so-subtle reference to Moran’s prolonged deliberations over the 2006 governor’s race.

Tiahrt says his and Moran’s voting records are very close, as are their ideologies, but that the race is about who gets things done. He points to his work in overturning a law that made Kansans’ airfare more expensive and in passing legislation that prevents tax dollars from going to groups that participate in forced sterilizations and abortions.

“I’ve got a better track record of getting things done than anybody else in the House in Kansas,” Tiahrt said. “I think I’ve got a good position to start from.”

Tiahrt declines to comment directly on differences with Moran, whom he calls a “good friend.” But during the state GOP’s Kansas Day event last month, Tiahrt’s helpers circulated a Wichita Eagle
article that quoted Moran suggesting President Obama is easier to work with than President Bush was.

Moran was forced to qualify those remarks in front of the most influential members of the party faithful.

“There’s a little bit of bad blood boiling up,” the GOP operative said.

The operative said the bad blood is worrisome because of the looming Sebelius threat and a history of divisive GOP primaries in the state. If the state party took sides in the primary, the operative said, it would likely do so privately.

That possibility looms large. Outgoing state GOP Chairman Kris Kobach  has warned that 2010 would amount to “election Armageddon” in Kansas. (Sen. Sam Brownback and Secretary of State Ron Thornburgh are also set to square off in the Republican gubernatorial primary.)

While these and other Republicans are worried about the effects of a tough primary, state Chamber of Commerce Vice President Jeff Glendening noted that Republicans will have a top-tier gubernatorial candidate to latch onto and a general-election framework from Sen. Pat Roberts’s (R) 2008 campaign that is ready to go.

“Whoever wins that primary is going to be able to tap into a grassroots network that Sen. Roberts built,” Glendening said. “It’s going to be awful hard to beat the Republican, whoever that is.”
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2009, 11:07:36 AM »

Wouldn't it be funny if a Democrat other than Sebelius beats Tiahrt or Moran?
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2009, 11:55:27 AM »

Wouldn't it be funny if a Democrat other than Sebelius beats Tiahrt or Moran?

I hardly think such a creature exists.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies