Will Ken Blackwell run for Senate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:56:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Will Ken Blackwell run for Senate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will Ken Blackwell run for Senate?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 11

Author Topic: Will Ken Blackwell run for Senate?  (Read 947 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 23, 2009, 02:25:46 PM »

I think he will, but unfortunately won't win the primary. Obviously if he did this becomes the Illinois/Pennsylvania/Virginia of 2010.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 03:08:35 PM »

Of course not.  Portman has the entire establishment's support and then some
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 11:59:49 PM »

No but it would be awesome if he did.  The two major Democrats are major losers and the Republicans seem to be coalescing fairly well behind Portman.  IMO, things seem to be going fairly well for the GOP with regards to candidate recruitment and the primaries.

I think there is a distinct possibility that Ohioans will be voting a split ticket for Senate and Governor in 2010.  Strickland's popularity seems to be impervious, but the Senate race is going to be dependent on how the voters are feeling after what's shaping up to be two years of Republican obstructionism in the House and very limited bipartisanship in the Senate.  As long as the Democrats' agenda doesn't veer too far left I think Fisher/Brunner will have the advantage.  But if Democrats push too far, Portman will probably have a significant advantage after coming out of an uncontested primary.
Rococo4

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 12:20:45 AM »

He isnt running.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 12:26:18 AM »

Well, it depends on whether the primary is an idealogical one or not and how negative it gets, and who wins.  Oftentimes if there's an ideological primary and the moderate wins, then that can actually help in the general.  

One danger is that Brunner looks to be hopping on the feminism wagon hardcore, setting up networks to download the Emily's list moneyflows.  I think the last OH Democratic primary was like ~59% women so it could work there, but I can't help but think a feminist wedge issue could hurt in the general.

I think Portman, surprisingly given his biography, is an incredible well-rounded candidate.  His Bush connections are a disadvantage, but they are also going to flood him with money, so it balances out.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies