Obama's HHS Secretary Nominee Faces Tax Questions Over Car and Driver
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:12:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama's HHS Secretary Nominee Faces Tax Questions Over Car and Driver
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama's HHS Secretary Nominee Faces Tax Questions Over Car and Driver  (Read 761 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 30, 2009, 07:24:31 PM »

Bumps in the Road: Obama's HHS Secretary Nominee Faces Tax Questions Over Car and Driver

Daschle has a tax problem regarding a chauffeur that his business partner gave him for free.    No doubt he'll be confirmed (since the Senate always looks the other way when confirming one of their own).   But it's yet another tax cheat in Obama's cabinet.  Only the little people get penalized for failing to pay taxes.

ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 07:26:53 PM »

This really annoys me. Whoever was in charge of vetting him deserves to be canned. This is unacceptable and the type of "scandal" that could derail universal health care legislation from ever getting passed.

This will be a huge issue when Obama rolls out his health care plan, and we simply don't need that. Can him now and find somebody else. I hear Howard Dean is out of a job.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 10:17:11 AM »

It amazes me how common it is for people in positions of power to not understand their taxes. Daschle's case makes sense to me because he was on public service salaries his whole life and then, after his defeat, entered a realm of great wealth as a lobbyist. So he didn't know what he was doing--I seriously doubt he intended to scam anyone, any more than Geithner did. What does it say about them and about our tax system that this keeps happening? I don't deny this is a problem.

Hire accountants, people!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 10:30:01 AM »

I've enjoyed reading Car and Driver for years.  It's probably the second best car mag behind Road and Track.  Road and Track is a little artsy fartsy sometimes though.  Peter Egan rules.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 10:50:41 AM »

It amazes me how common it is for people in positions of power to not understand their taxes. Daschle's case makes sense to me because he was on public service salaries his whole life and then, after his defeat, entered a realm of great wealth as a lobbyist. So he didn't know what he was doing--I seriously doubt he intended to scam anyone, any more than Geithner did. What does it say about them and about our tax system that this keeps happening? I don't deny this is a problem.

Or simplify the federal tax code
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 11:41:16 AM »

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that if you receive free services in the context of employment, that you have an income issue for tax purposes. I am not really willing to assume that Daschle didn't have a clue about this. I suspect he just trimmed a bit out of well, yes, greed.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 11:42:54 AM »

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that if you receive free services in the context of employment, that you have an income issue for tax purposes. I am not really willing to assume that Daschle didn't have a clue about this. I suspect he just trimmed a bit out of well, yes, greed.

We'll see. I'm trying hard not to be results-oriented on this case.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 06:37:08 PM »

It amazes me how common it is for people in positions of power to not understand their taxes.

If taxes were the only thing they fail to understand...
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 08:47:56 PM »

I don't favor denying the annoying "midget" his appointment over this issue by the way, for the record.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 09:11:00 PM »

From the article, Daschle claims that he brought the chauffeur issue up to his accountant on his own last year before Obama was elected.  We'll have to see what the real facts are.   At a minimum, these pampered Senators are so used to having things done for them that they don't even seem to think twice about the tax consequences of getting similar treatment when out of office.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 10:19:45 PM »

I don't favor denying the annoying "midget" his appointment over this issue by the way, for the record.

Ok, and to be absolutely clear, I wasn't accusing you of being results-oriented. Having a Democratic administration to defend is a novelty for me.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 10:40:33 PM »

I criticized Geithner because he should've known better, but I'm willing to cut Daschle a break here.

The tax code is pretty complicated, and now that he's paid the debt + interest, I think it's time to move on.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 10:47:49 PM »

Paging Dr. Dean...
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 03:17:20 AM »

Rahm let Dean into Obama's cabinet?  Yeah...

If he has an accountant, the accountant should have done this?  I'm not sure the degree his accountant asked him basic questions about his employee benefits or whatever.

I wonder how many multi-millionaires have unintentionally missed taxes.

Or it could be an ethical issue, but it's hard to tell

Daniel Adams
Georgia

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: 2.43

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 11:59:40 AM »

It's always fun to dig up past statements by politicians:

"Make no mistake, tax cheaters cheat us all, and the IRS should enforce our laws to the letter." Sen. Tom Daschle, Congressional Record, May 7, 1998, p. S4507

And on Reagan Agriculture Secretary nominee Richard Lyng: "Rep. Tom Daschle, D-S.D., called Lyng 'a limousine-lounging corporate executive that knows about as much about farming and what it's like on the farm today as a kernel of corn.'" (AP, January 30, 1986).
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2009, 12:28:59 PM »

Oh the Schadenfreude!
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2009, 06:00:03 PM »

Daschle wasn't properly vetted by the Obama campaign (in part because he "forgot" to tell them about the chauffeur issue).

It's more than just taxes for the chauffeur now.  According to the Wall Street Journal,  Daschle took impermissible charitable deductions, "forgot" to pay taxes on some consulting income, and there are questions about whether some entertainment and travel services provided by EduCap and companies should have been reported.

Daschle appears to be a major tax cheat who looks Geithner look good by comparison.  But the comfy Senate club will still confirm him.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2009, 06:21:44 PM »

How much does it all add up to in total?  And why does someone making $2m a year care about sneaking a few extra bucks at the side?  Not that it matters but I say if it's >$200k let's get someone else.

The problem isn't the Senate it's the fact that Daschle was one of Obama's earliest presidential backers and a lot of Obama's team comes from Daschle's political sphere of influence (since Clinton took everyone else).
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2009, 06:58:17 PM »

How much does it all add up to in total?  And why does someone making $2m a year care about sneaking a few extra bucks at the side?  Not that it matters but I say if it's >$200k let's get someone else.

The problem isn't the Senate it's the fact that Daschle was one of Obama's earliest presidential backers and a lot of Obama's team comes from Daschle's political sphere of influence (since Clinton took everyone else).

According to the WSJ, $140,167 in extra taxes and interest paid so far, including taxes owed on $83,333 of "forgotten" consulting income.

The Senate usually confirms one of its own even if it has to look the other way and hold its nose.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies