Another loss for McCain
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:42:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Another loss for McCain
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Another loss for McCain  (Read 3322 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2009, 02:17:51 AM »

First, you seem to believe that agreeing with all your absurd assertions is the essence of "civility."  Its not!

Second, just when did you begin accumulating your vague knowedge of McCain?

Third,

a.) once again you keep changing terminology.  First you said "visas." which you subsequently changed to "guest worker."  Are you aware that most visas are not for "guest workers"?

b.) as to expansion of legal immigration, conservatives have no problem with it provided it is intelligently designed.  Again, I have previously posted my recommendation on this forum both for a modest expansion of legal immigration coupled with a change in criteria, to favor skilled immigrants, particularly nurses.  So you are no better at deeming that you are at your other erroneous guesses.

c.) Wrong again.  The publication I cited was of very small circulation (it is scheduled to go out of business in a couple of months), and most voters in Arizona were unaware of McCain's position in 2004.  Oh, and BTW, just how time have your spent in Arizona to give you such supposed expertise on Arizona voters?

d.) I realize you "believe" lots of things, but your belief doesn't constitute rationality. I also suggest you consult at dictionary on the meaning of "postpone."

Next, as I previously pointed out (and have posted elsewhere on this forum), McCain trailed other down-ticket Republican candidates.  Statewide, Arizona is normally a Republican state (registered Republicans outnumber registered Democrats on the voter rolls), so its not suprising that McCain had a narrow victory.  Heck, except for tax increaser Bob Dole, every Republican presidential candidate in the last sixty years has carried Arizona!

Finally, please be so good as to identify your sources, as I have, and you have not!

Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2009, 11:49:49 PM »

First, referring to a person as "dense" is not disagreement. It is rudeness.

Second, I cannot put a time stamp on when I began my interest in politics and began studying the various histories of politicians, issues, and history. Suffice to say I know plenty and am always learning more.

Third,

a.) I am aware of such, which is why you should have understood that my reference to visas was to those visas focused on guest entrants (workers visas), rather than the various other kinds (student, travel, etc.). And in case you didn't, I did mention above that I was, in fact, referring to workers visas.

b.) I believe you are widely mistaken here. Conservatives jump on the opportunity to slam ideas to expand legal immigration and guest worker programs as harmful to the American worker, the American cultural, etc.

c.) If Arizonans didn't know, likelihood is his opponent didn't deem it to matter. At the end of the day, dirt comes up. Again, my direct contact with Arizona voters is irrelevant to my understanding of their voting patterns and cares. McCain, in 2004, won with 77% of the vote, his largest margin up to that point. To believe that he has alienated Arizonans enough to flip that number would be an astounding misjudgment.

d.) Alright, let me rephrase. His response was, without a doubt, in response to a question pertaining to had he been president at the time, would he have postponed the tax cuts. For him to say, on national television (source: MSNBC) that he would, indeed, have postponed them, shows his general distaste for the tax cuts as late as 2004, shortly before his reelection.

Next, even if McCain trailed down-ticket, he was the only candidate facing the potent Obama campaign. I am positive that had Obama not been at the head of the Democratic ticket, McCain would have carried Arizona by far more. Obama was able to steal many of the independents McCain has often won himself, because Obama appeared less partisan. However, come Senate reelection, if McCain runs, there will be no such person opposing him.

Lastly, the quote in which he opposes tax cuts in 2004 is from an interview he had on MSNBC.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2009, 06:46:13 PM »

Purple

First, my description of you as Dense was overly complimentary.

Second, there is absolutely no evidence that you are "learning" or "know plenty."  People who cann't answer simple questions and assert they "know plenty," generally know little.  It they really were knowledgeable, their posts would demonstate the point.  Yours don't

Third,

a.)  Means what you say, and say what you mean.  If you had meant to reference to bisas to be restricted to "guest workers," you should have said so in the first post you brought up the assertion.  Unlike you, I don't make assumptions as to what you really meant.

b.) That you wrongly believe conservatives oppose increases in legal immigration is your problem.  Do you also "believe" the world is flat?  News flash, it isn't.

c.)

i.  There are a couple of reasons why the Democrat nominated to run against McCain in 2004 did not bring up McCain's support for amnesty during the campaing, which inluded that Stu supported amnesty and open borders and that Stu's campaign was a joke (he was a sacraficial lamb).

ii.) It frequently takes time for "dirt" to emerge.  As an example, it too more than a century and a half for the "dirt" to emerge on Aaron Burr's treason from British files.

iii.) Should I presume that your assertion that direct contact with Arizona voters being, "irrelevant" to you means you are admitting you have no such contact?

iv.) In the Senate election immediately prior to 2004 in Arizona (2000), Jon Kyl won 79.3% of the vote.  In 2006 Kyl won 53.3% of the vote.  Now, Kyl's opponent in 2006 was well funded (unlike McCain's opponent in 2004) and 2006 was a good year for Democrat candidates, unlike 2004.  If napolitano runs in 2010, she'll have plenty of money.

d.)  Not suprised you worship the omniponent Obamamessiah, and use that as an excuse for why McCain did so poorly.  However, in the unlikely event McCain seeks reelection and is defeated by Napolitano, will you then be worshiping Janet?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2009, 07:50:14 PM »

In 2008 there were three Republicans actively seeking the presidential nomination on the date their home state voted.  Here are the results for those states among self-identified Republicans according to the exit polls

Date          State          McCain          Romney          Huckabee

2/5              AZ               47%               37%                  8%
                   AR               19                 15                     62
                   MA              32                  61                      4   

Starky (whom even the Republic called a "sacrificial lamb") is a three time loser who spent $15,000 on his entire campaign!

McCain hasn't faced a serious opponent in the general election since 1986!
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2009, 12:07:35 AM »

Update:

(Courtesy of the good folks at Sonoran Alliance)

Arizona State GOP Chairman Randy Pullen has been elected as the new Treasurer of the Republican National Committee.  This will give Pullen a seat on the RNC’s Executive Board, working alongside new RNC Chairman Michael Steele.  The increased visibility for Pullen and his involvement in national fundraising is also expected to be a boon to the Arizona State Party.  Congratulations to Chairman Pullen!
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2009, 05:48:12 PM »

Republicans Like GOP’s Conservative Direction, Democrats Don’t
Thursday, January 29, 2009 Email to a FriendAdvertisement
One thing for sure: Republicans and Democrats don’t agree on the future direction of the Republican Party.

Coming off a shellacking at the polls in November, the plurality of GOP voters (43%) say their party has been too moderate over the past eight years, and 55% think it should become more like Alaska Governor Sarah Palin in the future, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey. Just 24% think failed presidential candidate John McCain is the best future model for the party, and 10% are undecided.

Only 17% of Republican voters say their party has been too conservative, and 30% say its actions and positions have been about right, with nine percent (9%) not sure.

Nearly two-thirds of Democrats (64%), however, say the Republican Party has been too conservative, and 42% think it should look to McCain for the future. Twelve percent (12%) of Democratic voters see Palin as a future role model, and 40% aren’t sure what’s best for their rivals.

Fifteen`percent (15%) of Democrats say the opposite party has been too moderate, and five percent (5%) classify it as about right. Sixteen percent (16%) are not sure.

There is one area of agreement though: Just 11% of Republicans and six percent (6%) of Democrats say the party should become more like former President Bush.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies