What party faction are you and why?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 15, 2024, 11:54:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What party faction are you and why?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What party faction are you and why?  (Read 3134 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2009, 12:16:10 PM »

You have a negative social score and an econ score less than +3. You're not a red meat con. You're center-left.
lol being +3 on econ is not being center left. In europe that would be being a nutjob and in America that is a being a pretty typical moderate Republican.

Please, your ignorance is showing.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2009, 12:33:18 PM »

You have a negative social score and an econ score less than +3. You're not a red meat con. You're center-left.
lol being +3 on econ is not being center left. In europe that would be being a nutjob and in America that is a being a pretty typical moderate Republican.

No, in europe all major political parties support universal healthcare, loads of welfare, government controlled hospitals, etc. I'm sure you can counter this because you are actually from Europe but how many American-type conservatives are really there?
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2009, 12:57:45 PM »

Progressive Democrat, with a New Hampshire libertarian influence (pro-gun, anti-seat belt and helmet laws, etc.)

Paul Hodes is probably the elected politican closest to my views.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2009, 01:59:20 PM »

No, in europe all major political parties support universal healthcare, loads of welfare, government controlled hospitals, etc. I'm sure you can counter this because you are actually from Europe but how many American-type conservatives are really there?

Europe's issues stem from it's safety net. It basically needs to end the safety nets and send the post-WWII immigrants and their kids home.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2009, 02:34:51 PM »

I would say I'd be part of the "Mainstreet" Republican brand. I'm still pretty conservative in my views on most things I actually care about.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2009, 02:35:16 PM »
« Edited: February 01, 2009, 04:58:02 PM by Carl Sandburg visited me in a dream »

I think you have a very high view of the extent of European welfare. Obviously this varies from country to country, but in most places the welfare benefits really aren't much more generous than in the US--though unemployment benefits are. Yes, all major political parties in Europe support universal health care, but most don't support government controlled hospitals--many countries in Europe have social insurance systems, not NHS-type ones.
Actually read the Tory or Fianna Fail manifestos from the latest elections and see that the difference is hugely inflated. There aren't many American style conservatives, but that's because most European conservatives don't care about social issues, and so conservative parties are formed of different coalitions than in the US. Also, I really don't think a typical American conservative only has a +3 economic score.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2009, 02:43:12 PM »

I think you have a very high view of the extent of European welfare. Obviously this varies from country to country, but in most places the welfare benefits really aren0t much more generous than in the US--though unemployment benefits are. Yes, all major political parties in Europe support universal health care, but most don't support government controlled hospitals--many countries in Europe have social insurance systems, not NHS-type ones.
Actually read the Tory or Fianna Fail manifestos from the latest elections and see that the difference is hugely inflated. There aren't may American style conservatives, but that's because most European conservatives don't care about social issues, and so conservative parties are formed of different coalitions than in the US. Also, I really don't think a typical American conservative only has a +3 economic score.

This is the Truth.

There are two main reason why people perceive a huge difference:
1) The Importance of Social Issue in the US is mostly due to the very strong influence of Christianity and that the two wars didn't have huge impact on American culture that they had on Continental Europe for obvious reasons, which helped greatly to discredit previously prevailing ideologies. That due to the French Revolution, etc there was a long history of anticlerical liberalism on the Continent.

2) Republican Rhetoric on "small government" which for historic reasons doesn't sell well in Europe (look under: Great Depression; Reactions of Governments and also in a way point #1). However the reality and the rhetoric are somewhat different from each other, as the case of the last eight years has shown very clearly.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2009, 02:46:29 PM »

That seems about right.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »

In general progressive
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2009, 09:20:15 PM »

Conservative Reformer wing.(Mike Pence is a good example the really fits my ideology)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2009, 11:45:58 PM »

liberal wing of the party, generally your typical New York & northeast liberal.

But stuck in Indiana.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2009, 03:20:06 PM »

I'm not sure what faction of the Democratic Party I'd fit neatly into, if these hypotherical vote ratings are anything to go by

Senate

I found that my weighted scores were as follows:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Economic: Liberal 62 (70%); Conservative 27 (30%) - on this measure I'm closest to Daniel Inouye (D-Hawaii)

Social: Conservative 34 (59%); Liberal 34 (41%) - on this measure I'm closest to John McCain (R-Arizona)

Foreign: Conservative 47 (68%); Liberal 22 (32%) - on this measure I'm closest to Jim Inhofe (R-Oklahona), Lamar Alexander (R-Tennessee), who score 70; Ted Stevens (R-Alaska), Mel Martinez (R-Florida), Mitch McConnell (R-Kentucky), Judd Gregg (R-New Hampshire), who score 66

However, put it all together and I have the following composite score:

Liberal 118 (49.0%) / Conservative 123 (51.0%) , on which my closest Senate match is Olympia Snowe (R-Maine) , who scores:

- Economic (Conservative 52% / Liberal 46%)
- Social (Conservative 49% / Liberal 49%)
- Foreign (Conservative 53% / Liberal 46%)
- Composite (Conservative 52.2% / Liberal 47.8%)

House

I found that my weighted scores were as follows:

Economic: Liberal 87 (74%); Conservative 31 (26%) - on this measure I'm closest to Artur Davis (D, Alabama-07), Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D, Florida-20), Bobby Rush (D, Illinois-01), Peter Visclosky (D, Indiana-01), John Sarbannes (D, Maryland-03), Elijah Cummings (D, Maryland-07), Michael Capuano (D, Massachusetts-08), Dale Kildee (D, Michigan-05), Carolyn Kilpatrick (D, Michigan-13), John Dingell (D, Michigan-15), Jose Serrano (D, New York-16), Tim Ryan (D, Ohio-17), Jim McDermott (D, Washington-07), who score 73

Social: Conservative 65 (69%); Liberal 29 (31%) - on this measure I'm closest to David Dreier (R, California-26), John Campbell (R, California-48), Tom Tancredo (R, Colorado-06), Candice Miller (R, Michigan-10), Thaddues Cotter (R, Michigan-11), Denny Rehberg (R, Montana-AL), John McHugh (R, New York-23), Pat Tiberi (R, Ohio-12), Paul Ryan (R, Wisconsin-01)

Foreign: Conservative 45 (63%); Liberal 27 (37%) - on this measure I'm closest to Mary Bono Mack (R, California-45), Dana Rochrabacher (R, California-46), Mario Diaz-Balart (R, Florida-25), Howard Coble (R, North Carolina-06), John Culberson (R, Texas-07)

However, put it all together and I have the following composite score:

Liberal 143 (50.4%) / Conservative 141 (49.6%) , on which my closest House matches are Tim Mahoney (D, Florida-16) and Henry Cuellar (D, Texas-28) , who score

Mahoney :

- Economic (Liberal 50% / Conservative 50%)
- Social (Liberal 52% / Conservative 47%)
- Foreign (Conservative 51% / Liberal 48%)
- Composite (Liberal 50.3% / Conservative 49.7%)

Cuellar

- Economic (Conservative 53% / Liberal 47%)
- Social (Liberal 56% / Conservative 44%)
- Foreign (Conservative 51% / Liberal 48%)
- Composite (Liberal 50.5% / Conservative 49.5%)

As you can, despite Democrats now controlling Congress, the Hawk pretty much remains in a class of his own among Democrats

Dave

It could be safely concluded that I'm no libertarian - and that's about it

Dave
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2009, 09:34:31 AM »
« Edited: February 04, 2009, 09:41:51 AM by Mint »

I would say I'd be part of the "Mainstreet" Republican brand. I'm still pretty conservative in my views on most things I actually care about.

Same.
Like...?

No offense but you seem pretty liberal now.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2009, 09:37:47 AM »

Same.

No you're not. Stop identifying with the fourth evil ideology of the 20th century.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2009, 09:44:21 AM »

Conservatism isn't fundamentalism.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain

« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2009, 09:45:08 AM »

Islamic Fundamentalism is the third ideology not the 4th. Reaganism is the 4th.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2009, 07:30:08 PM »
« Edited: February 04, 2009, 07:35:57 PM by Mint »

Why am I? Because I reject post-60s liberalism as well as post-80s conservatism as unworkable, often contradictory extremes. I prefer a government which is fairly small and impartial, but at the same time responsive to basic needs of citizens and not intolerant of unpopular lifestyle choices. My vision of government is basically centrist by current standards, but with a bit of a libertarian bent.
perdedor

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2009, 07:36:05 PM »

The one to the left of the DNC. A.K.A. "the one that's only important to the party's candidates during the primaries".
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2009, 07:36:15 PM »

Reminder that movement conservatism is basically protestant clerical fascism these days. Cromwell would have a boner in his grave if he knew what Reagan and his successors managed to do to the most powerful nation on earth.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2009, 07:36:34 PM »

Populist as in economically centrist and socially conservative.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies