Quinnipiac: Democrats take the lead in Ohio
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:48:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  Quinnipiac: Democrats take the lead in Ohio
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Quinnipiac: Democrats take the lead in Ohio  (Read 6209 times)
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 04, 2009, 08:53:55 PM »

These numbers seem too good(or bad) to be true, but here you go.

Democratic Primary

Fischer 18
Brunner 16
Ryan 14
Don't know 53

Republican Primary

Portman 33
Taylor 11
Don't know 56

General Election

Portman (R) 27
Fisher (D) 42

Portman (R) 28
Brunner (D) 38

Link

But I bet the actual numbers so far are in between this poll and this one from a little back.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 10:57:57 PM »

I doubt many people in Ohio REALLY know who any of those people are.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 11:03:46 PM »

That's not fair, Fisher and Brunner are already statewide elected officials
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 11:31:35 PM »

Who really knows their Lt. Governor? Seriously. It was different in PA for awhile because of the infamous late CBK but most people didn't know her either.

Brunner is the Secretary of State. I doubt many know who their state Secretary of State is in Ohio.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 11:33:32 PM »

Of course, Portman should have national name recognition, too.

In reality, no more than 10% of the Ohio population has a clue who any of them are. Even if a lot want to express opinions anyway.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 12:36:39 AM »

What are the chances that Taylor even runs, and would she have any chance or effect on the campaign at all?

I think she'd be a decent candidate to challenge Sherrod Brown if she doesn't, though it'd be tough if Obama was still popular in 2012.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 12:40:06 AM »

What are the chances that Taylor even runs, and would she have any chance or effect on the campaign at all?

I think she'd be a decent candidate to challenge Sherrod Brown if she doesn't, though it'd be tough if Obama was still popular in 2012.

Taylor would be a speed bump to Portman, but nothing more. Portman has complete establishment support and a wide and deep fundraising network. He also has no major political vulnerabilities for Taylor to exploit. In an actual primary, I would expect Portman to win around 65-30 with 5% scattering if not better.

Will she actually run? Probably not; she'll announce she's not running some time in the fall or winter as it becomes clear that she is simply uncompetitive in all primary polls.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 12:49:33 AM »

Who really knows their Lt. Governor? Seriously. It was different in PA for awhile because of the infamous late CBK but most people didn't know her either.

Brunner is the Secretary of State. I doubt many know who their state Secretary of State is in Ohio.

No one knows Fisher.  He's done nothing.

Everyone in Ohio who followed the 2008 election knows Brunner though..  She got a lot of election related press coverage and IMO most of it was not the kind of attention you want if you're looking to run for Senate.  She (along with the Ohio Democratic Party) has stirred up a boatload of baseless hand-wringing over electronic voting.  There was also the "Golden Week" debate:  The Republican legislature accidentally created an overlap between the voter registration deadline and the start of no-fault absentee voting.  This "Golden Week" allowed Ohioans to register and vote on the same day and the Democrats used this week to round up a lot of new voters (mostly college students and blacks).  Republicans were claiming that the ID checks being done on the newly registered voters weren't sufficient enough to allow them to vote on the same day and they wanted those ballots set aside to allow for more time to check their validity.  Brunner disagreed.

Anyways, the point is that Brunner should have the highest name recognition of all these candidates and she's probably one of the worst ones the Dems could pick.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 12:53:10 AM »

My conservative family absolutely hated Jennifer Brunner and they have no ties to Ohio.  She got a ton of coverage.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 01:00:33 AM »

Pretty early on, but good news. I can't wait to give the Democratic Party my vote in 2010.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 02:05:07 AM »

Well, if you've voted for the guy then you'll get higher name recognition and you know if he was some crazy insane guy (say a Kucunich that never ran for president) you might have heard by now on the news if he was elected statewide.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 11:20:29 AM »

Well, if you've voted for the guy then you'll get higher name recognition and you know if he was some crazy insane guy (say a Kucunich that never ran for president) you might have heard by now on the news if he was elected statewide.

Well, I'll take the word of the Ohioans here and say that Brunner is fairly well known. However, just voting for the guy doesn't necessarily give one high name recognition. Plenty of people can vote for the top of the ticket and not know the Lt. Gubernatorial nominee.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 04:39:55 PM »

Well, I'll take the word of the Ohioans here and say that Brunner is fairly well known. However, just voting for the guy doesn't necessarily give one high name recognition. Plenty of people can vote for the top of the ticket and not know the Lt. Gubernatorial nominee.

Does Ohio elect its Governor & Lt. Governor together?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 06:12:11 PM »

Does Ohio elect its Governor & Lt. Governor together?

Yes and even if they didn't, I doubt people care about the latter race.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2009, 06:27:51 PM »

It's way too early for this to even mean ANYTHING.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies