GM, Chrysler May Face Bankruptcy to Protect U.S. Debt
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:14:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  GM, Chrysler May Face Bankruptcy to Protect U.S. Debt
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: GM, Chrysler May Face Bankruptcy to Protect U.S. Debt  (Read 5834 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2009, 05:41:11 PM »

We still have Ford anyway.  The auto companies don't need bailouts.  They just need to grow a pair and stand up to the UAW.

Or maybe make cars that people want to buy.

^^^^^^^^

precisely.

The biggest mistake in analysis is believing that American car companies make cars people don't want to buy.  The fact in this economic downturn is that Japanese car companies have gotten killed just as badly as American companies in terms of sales, and in many cases are actually faring worse.

The problem is the "cost structure" of the American car companies, plain and simple.

So why is that then? I mean, foreign cars are usually pretty clearly of higher quality. Do people feel some type of loyalty towards American built cars?

Get rid of the union chokehold, then they could afford to make better cars for the same price.

I think if it was just as simple as "getting rid of it" they would have done so already.

I think the companies have to make it very clear to the UAW that if they don't make significant concessions that nobody will have a job at any pay level... an ultimatum, if you will.

Trying to bust the union (which won't be successful) will do nothing but polarize both sides even more.

And if GM goes, Michigan will collapse.  I sure hope you're planning to leave the state when you're done with school, Inks.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies