When does Specter face retribution?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:30:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  When does Specter face retribution?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: When does Specter face retribution?  (Read 25898 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2009, 03:51:55 PM »

so he may get some more national money this time around...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2009, 03:53:50 PM »

so he may get some more national money this time around...

Wait, who did you mean? Specter received the national establishment money in 2004. Toomey got support/money from national conservative groups.

I bet the NRSC is still active for Specter but maybe not to the extent that they were in 2004.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2009, 03:56:10 PM »

yes, I meant Specter
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2009, 03:59:11 PM »

He won't get more money just because he's in more danger. The GOP has a lot more important seats to defend. Saving Specter probably won't be a top priority.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2009, 04:36:22 PM »

He won't get more money just because he's in more danger. The GOP has a lot more important seats to defend. Saving Specter probably won't be a top priority.

Would they rather Specter in the seat or Schwartz?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2009, 05:12:19 PM »

I don't know why you keep doing the same routine with me, Smash. Give it a rest.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2009, 05:18:47 PM »

Well that is the question. At this point it may not make a difference whether Arlen or a Democrat occupies the seat. This could scone a pattern if he and Collins/Snowe are the defacto 60th seats.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2009, 08:36:06 PM »

Well that is the question. At this point it may not make a difference whether Arlen or a Democrat occupies the seat. This could scone a pattern if he and Collins/Snowe are the defacto 60th seats.

It's not a serious question; it's more of his usual nonsense. I reject the premise of the question since he entertains the idea that only Specter can win.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2009, 09:29:40 PM »

It's not a serious question; it's more of his usual nonsense. I reject the premise of the question since he entertains the idea that only Specter can win.

It's possible that Toomey could win if the stimulus fails, but if the environment is favorable Dem or tossup, I can't see any Republican but Specter winning in Pennsylvania. There would need to be a GOP environment for it to happen. I guess if the stimulus does fail, Specter would lose a primary, and then Toomey may have a chance. It's hard to tell right now, but I can't see this bill working out.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2009, 10:02:55 PM »

One of the most interesting of Specter's abilities, is his ability to lie with a straight face.

Check out yesterday's Washington Post in which he alledged that he had reduced the so-called stimulous bill to $780 billion.

I don't know anybody but Specter that would claim its under $800 billion.

Just to elaborate

H.R. 1, as passed by the House is estimated to cost (without interest charges) at $819 billion

H.R. 1, as passed by the Senate is estimated to cost (without interest charges) at $838 billion.

So, not only was Specter lying about the $780 billion price tag, but he managed to negotiate an increase over the spending proposed by Nancy Pelosi of about $19 billion dollars.

With "moderates" like Specter, who needs liberals?!?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2009, 10:07:33 PM »

It's possible that Toomey could win if the stimulus fails, but if the environment is favorable Dem or tossup, I can't see any Republican but Specter winning in Pennsylvania. There would need to be a GOP environment for it to happen. I guess if the stimulus does fail, Specter would lose a primary, and then Toomey may have a chance. It's hard to tell right now, but I can't see this bill working out.

I'd have more success arguing with cancer than with some of you people.

I'm glad you guys know exactly how everything will work out nearly two years before the vote. "Well, he could have a chance but it's not likely..."
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2009, 10:36:20 PM »

I'm glad you guys know exactly how everything will work out nearly two years before the vote. "Well, he could have a chance but it's not likely..."

Calm down Phil. I never said anywhere this I knew what was going to happen, nor did I say it was not likely to occur. I said I expect the stimulus to fail, and in turn, Specter will be vulnerable.

Has he said he is even running for reelection? He might just retire if it looks like he may lose a primary and the GOP tells him he's on his own. I believe Toomey can win a race in a GOP favorable cycle. I think it's a bit risky to believe that he could win if the stimulus improves the economy come 2010 and it appears as if the Democrats could further increase their margins. You know more about PA Politics than I do by a long shot, but I can't see a guy who was against the stimulus successfully win the race if the bill is successful. Do you?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2009, 10:40:18 PM »

Calm down Phil. I never said anywhere this I knew what was going to happen, nor did I say it was not likely to occur. I said I expect the stimulus to fail, and in turn, Specter will be vulnerable.

Has he said he is even running for reelection? He might just retire if it looks like he may lose a primary and the GOP tells him he's on his own. I believe Toomey can win a race in a GOP favorable cycle. I think it's a bit risky to believe that he could win if the stimulus improves the economy come 2010 and it appears as if the Democrats could further increase their margins. You know more about PA Politics than I do by a long shot, but I can't see a guy who was against the stimulus successfully win the race if the bill is successful. Do you?

Maybe you didn't pick up on the fact that Arlen's ego is the size of the entire Senate's time ten.

He made it "official" in 2007 that he'd be running again. He won't leave the Senate until he is beaten or dead.

There is more to 2010 than just this bill. Obama and the Dems can be unpopular for other reasons. We don't know yet. Toomey doesn't need the stimulus to be a failure to beat Specter in a primary and even if the stimulus is a success, Toomey still has a chance in an average type of midterm year. Will it be difficult? Sure. Impossible? Absolutely not.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2009, 12:25:33 AM »

It's happening:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/10/stimulus.gop.pac/index.html
 An influential conservative political action committee is pledging to support primary challenges to any Republican senator who backs the economic stimulus package -- the latest public show of dissatisfaction from the right over the massive measure before Congress.

The PAC's pledge appears most threatening to Specter, the only one of the three who faces re-election in 2010. A longtime moderate, Specter has faced tough primary challengers in the past, including Club for Growth President Pat Toomey in 2004.

"[Sen. Specter] crossed the line one too many times," Wheeler told CNN. "We're now going to get involved in finding a conservative alternative."

Toomey has said he is not interested in running again, and another credible challenger has yet to emerge in the race. Still, Specter's decision to vote for the stimulus bill has irked many Republicans in his home state and may have virtually guaranteed a primary fight.

Speaking to CNN Tuesday, Specter said his vote has resulted in a flood of negative phone calls to his office and predicted it would lead to a tough primary battle.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2009, 12:29:30 AM »

So Toomey officially turned it down?

Paging Rick...
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2009, 12:56:19 AM »

I don't know why you keep doing the same routine with me, Smash. Give it a rest.

Oh I think he asked a good question.  Specter at least votes with the GOP a fair bit of the time.   
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2009, 01:20:53 AM »

Oh I think he asked a good question.  Specter at least votes with the GOP a fair bit of the time.   

Something like 68% of the time IIRC.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2009, 02:50:48 AM »

Haha. Good luck primarying Snowe and Collins with right-wingers.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2009, 01:00:12 PM »

It's the same old rhetoric that you spew, too. "Specter or automatic Dem pickup!" Give it a rest.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2009, 03:47:10 AM »

It's the same old rhetoric that you spew, too. "Specter or automatic Dem pickup!" Give it a rest.

Hmm, now can we get away with Wilson Goode Sr. as the Dem nominee?  John Street?  Hey, should we nominate Jack Murtha?  Paul Kanjorski?  Help us please, we wouldn't know who a good candidate is.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2009, 04:20:53 AM »

Do the math....
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2009, 09:59:17 AM »

Do the math....

Yeah, like I said, I've been through the same routine with you for years now, Smash. Here's "the math"...

1 Democrat runs for office + 1 Republican + 3 other kind of nutty people = AN AMAZING DEM WIN!

Hmm, now can we get away with Wilson Goode Sr. as the Dem nominee?  John Street?  Hey, should we nominate Jack Murtha?  Paul Kanjorski?  Help us please, we wouldn't know who a good candidate is.

So now you're going to pick absolutely batshit potential nominees and compare them to Toomey and Santorum? Give me a break.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2009, 10:48:32 AM »

Personally, I think it's extremely unlikely that any Republican would have much chance of winning an open seat in Pennsylvania.

Depending on the President's approval, of course....but my default rating would be at least an 80% chance for the DEM to win.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2009, 10:55:46 AM »

but my default rating would be at least an 80% chance for the DEM to win.

That's just ridiculous. What is that based on? It will be a midterm year and if the Dems nominate someone like Schwartz, they most certainly don't have more than a 50-50 shot.

Pennsylvania of 2010 is certainly not likely to be the Pennsylvania of 2008. I think people are making a huge mistake in basically labeling us a safe Dem state. You want to say that any Dem has a 60% shot at the seat? Fine. I'll still strongly disagree but that's a lot more reasonable than 80%!
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2009, 11:01:39 AM »

Do the math....

Yeah, like I said, I've been through the same routine with you for years now, Smash. Here's "the math"...

1 Democrat runs for office + 1 Republican + 3 other kind of nutty people = AN AMAZING DEM WIN!

So now you're going to pick absolutely batshit potential nominees and compare them to Toomey and Santorum? Give me a break.

Just yanking your chain Phil.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies