2/10 Republican voters in PA will vote Dem if Bush...... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:16:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  2/10 Republican voters in PA will vote Dem if Bush...... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2/10 Republican voters in PA will vote Dem if Bush......  (Read 3441 times)
elcorazon

« on: September 29, 2004, 09:08:07 AM »

why do you guys oppose a draft?  If we're going to actively eject despots all over the world who might try to get access to WMD or nuclear weapons, we're going to have to have more people in the army.  Shouldn't everyone be required to fight for their country.  I think it's only fair.  

Anyone who supports our current foreign policy should CERTAINLY support a draft.  Frankly, I oppose our current foreign policy, but I don't necessarily oppose a draft.  If we live in such a great country, why shouldn't we have compulsory service for it?
elcorazon

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 09:28:58 AM »

why do you guys oppose a draft?  If we're going to actively eject despots all over the world who might try to get access to WMD or nuclear weapons, we're going to have to have more people in the army.  Shouldn't everyone be required to fight for their country.  I think it's only fair.  

Anyone who supports our current foreign policy should CERTAINLY support a draft.  Frankly, I oppose our current foreign policy, but I don't necessarily oppose a draft.  If we live in such a great country, why shouldn't we have compulsory service for it?

There is no need for a draft.  Our military is half the size it was 15 years ago, and it was fully stocked then.  If Congress would simply increase the number of slots which the military can recruit for, we'll have more troops.  A draft is needed when there are gaps in the ranks.  Since we don't have any, we don't need the draft.  All we need is Congress to pass the legislation for the military to increase their numbers.
Fine, but why not require service to one's country?  Why is that a bad thing?
elcorazon

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2004, 11:34:38 AM »

Your argueement is fine, except that it has one major flaw.  You seem to assume that it is unfair that people sit at home while those who volunteered go and do what they volunteered to do.  Why is this?

Certainly, if there is ever a need for a draft, I would support such an effort, but there is no foreseeable need for one at the present time.  Hell, if the draft ever came back, I would go and volunteer myself, just so that I could choose which branch I wanted to go into (probably the Navy).  

Another dimension to this issue that I rarely hear being dicussed is the fact that, if we had a national draft, the quality of the average soldier would go way down, because you would be bringing in non-volunteers.

I think national service should ALWAYS be required, whether needed by the army or not.  People don't all have to be soldiers, but some form of service to one's country might actually be a good thing for young people to do, in my opinion.

My point wasn't only about fairness with respect to soldiers themselves, but fairness in that people benefit as citizens being required to give back.  

Of course conservatives will oppose this as increasing the size of government, but being a liberal that doesn't bother me at all.

Government, however maligned, has done a LOT of good for us.  I think it can do even more good.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies