2/10 Republican voters in PA will vote Dem if Bush...... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:49:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  2/10 Republican voters in PA will vote Dem if Bush...... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2/10 Republican voters in PA will vote Dem if Bush......  (Read 3446 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« on: September 29, 2004, 07:24:29 AM »

There will be no draft, and there will not be a need for a draft.  If/When more troop slots are opened up, they will fill up naturally due to the benefits the military provides, as well as those who are patriotic and believe in defending this nation.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 07:39:04 AM »

If Iraqi's don't want to fight for their freedom, how come their military, police, and national guard figures grow on a daily basis?  (Go back to my prior recommendations of doing independent research to get the truth, and not relying on the mass media for your information.)  You accusation is false.

Afghanistan has enough international troops on the ground, and resistance is primarily limited to the mountain ranges bordering Pakistan, with the Pakistani army taking the fight on their side of the border.

North Korea and Iran are attracting a much greater international focus than Iraq did.  If for some reason we had to go into either nation on the ground, there will be more than enough international troops to join the effort.  Iran has been one of my favorite nations, since we should be experiencing a revolution in the next 5 years as the younger pro-Western population grows in numbers.  I was sure that the election scandal in Iran this year was going to be the trigger, but it turned out to be another log on the fire.  This nuclear mess just might be the key.  If we go in, we won't be alone in Iran.

So no, we won't need to introduce a draft.  
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2004, 08:37:38 AM »

Actually, shankbear, it was Hagel that stirred the "draft pot" last year, and he's a Republican.  However, it was the media and the DNC that ran with this claiming the draft was on the way.  This is far from the truth since our military is at max capacity, and if the Congress will approve the measure to increase the size of the army, the additional slots will fill in just the same.  There will be no need for a draft.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2004, 08:42:41 AM »

Nope.  It requires congressional approval, and best of luck finding a majority of congressmen who are going to throw away their job by voting "yes" on the issue, especially when it's not needed.

Nomo, go back to what I've said before.  Turn off the tv and think for yourself.  A sane person would easily deduce that the draft would not be needed.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2004, 09:22:20 AM »

why do you guys oppose a draft?  If we're going to actively eject despots all over the world who might try to get access to WMD or nuclear weapons, we're going to have to have more people in the army.  Shouldn't everyone be required to fight for their country.  I think it's only fair.  

Anyone who supports our current foreign policy should CERTAINLY support a draft.  Frankly, I oppose our current foreign policy, but I don't necessarily oppose a draft.  If we live in such a great country, why shouldn't we have compulsory service for it?

There is no need for a draft.  Our military is half the size it was 15 years ago, and it was fully stocked then.  If Congress would simply increase the number of slots which the military can recruit for, we'll have more troops.  A draft is needed when there are gaps in the ranks.  Since we don't have any, we don't need the draft.  All we need is Congress to pass the legislation for the military to increase their numbers.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2004, 09:56:07 AM »

why do you guys oppose a draft?  If we're going to actively eject despots all over the world who might try to get access to WMD or nuclear weapons, we're going to have to have more people in the army.  Shouldn't everyone be required to fight for their country.  I think it's only fair.  

Anyone who supports our current foreign policy should CERTAINLY support a draft.  Frankly, I oppose our current foreign policy, but I don't necessarily oppose a draft.  If we live in such a great country, why shouldn't we have compulsory service for it?

There is no need for a draft.  Our military is half the size it was 15 years ago, and it was fully stocked then.  If Congress would simply increase the number of slots which the military can recruit for, we'll have more troops.  A draft is needed when there are gaps in the ranks.  Since we don't have any, we don't need the draft.  All we need is Congress to pass the legislation for the military to increase their numbers.
Fine, but why not require service to one's country?  Why is that a bad thing?

I would be for it. One of the few European concepts I do like.  After graduating high school, you serve 2 years in the military or government service, and then progress on to college.  "Kids" will then be more mature when entering college, and more likely not to waste their first year trying to grow up and adjust to being adults.

However, I doubt that would ever be passed by Congress either.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies