What It Feels Like To Be A Libertarian
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:15:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What It Feels Like To Be A Libertarian
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: What It Feels Like To Be A Libertarian  (Read 8873 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2009, 02:56:27 PM »

What the funk are you talking about?  You can't use force against people in a libertarian society, you would go to jail.  Where are you people getting this sh**t from?  Do you think we don't believe in police departments, court rooms and jails?  BAH!  Mint?  Seriously?
No, I'm saying if people stopped paying their taxes because it wasn't required and you had huge social problems caused by stuff like child labor, private-only education, etc. being around then things would get ugly fast. I know that's not the position of the vast majority of libertarians here, but a lot of the Big L types literally agreed with what I posted.

As for the topic, I agreed with most of the article but once again am left wondering if Bono is capable of having an original thought. Ever.

See West, The Political Economy of American Public School Legislation. Literacy was more or less at the same level it is nowadays before public schools were created. That's at a time when people were much poorer than they are today.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2009, 03:40:28 PM »

big L Libertarianism is more unworkable than marxism hth

Since neither have actually occurred it's amazing you know the outcome.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2009, 04:32:27 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2009, 04:34:22 PM by Mint »

What the funk are you talking about?  You can't use force against people in a libertarian society, you would go to jail.  Where are you people getting this sh**t from?  Do you think we don't believe in police departments, court rooms and jails?  BAH!  Mint?  Seriously?
No, I'm saying if people stopped paying their taxes because it wasn't required and you had huge social problems caused by stuff like child labor, private-only education, etc. being around then things would get ugly fast. I know that's not the position of the vast majority of libertarians here, but a lot of the Big L types literally agreed with what I posted.

As for the topic, I agreed with most of the article but once again am left wondering if Bono is capable of having an original thought. Ever.

See West, The Political Economy of American Public School Legislation. Literacy was more or less at the same level it is nowadays before public schools were created. That's at a time when people were much poorer than they are today.
Literacy isn't the issue. By implementing those sorts of policies you'd basically create an underclass where large numbers of kids never went go to school. They'd be busy working to help keep their households from going under (some still do but they tend to be high school drop outs). You know.. like in the 19th century?

Keep in mind I do support some liberalization of the existing policy too: I'm a pretty big advocate of vouchers, charter schools, and early apprenticeship/internship programs. I just know that for society to function at our current standard of living we need some services.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2009, 04:37:26 PM »

Big L Libertarianism is ocurring right now in Somalia and briefly happened in post-katrina new orleans and marxism was tried in russia and china.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2009, 05:08:05 PM »

Big L Libertarianism automatically leads to despotism. North Korea is an example of what a big L Libertarian State would look like in short order.

Care to actually explain how you came to such an absurd conclusion?

Corporations and warlords would take over so it's not 'absurd'

1. Corporations only exist by government consent.
2. Warlords would be killed by the government's army just like in any other society with a functioning government. And yes, there would be an army - libertarianism is not the same thing as anarchy.

Big L Libertarianism is ocurring right now in Somalia and briefly happened in post-katrina new orleans and marxism was tried in russia and china.

I repeat - Libertarianism is not anarchy.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2009, 05:19:39 PM »

Literacy isn't the issue. By implementing those sorts of policies you'd basically create an underclass where large numbers of kids never went go to school. They'd be busy working to help keep their households from going under (some still do but they tend to be high school drop outs). You know.. like in the 19th century?

Keep in mind I do support some liberalization of the existing policy too: I'm a pretty big advocate of vouchers, charter schools, and early apprenticeship/internship programs. I just know that for society to function at our current standard of living we need some services.

Mint, education as occurs today is mostly signaling. You could compress the current K-12 curriculum into 8 years and you wouldn't lose much in the process.
Earth

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2009, 05:36:45 PM »

Libertarianism ≠ Disorder

You don't know what you're talking about at all.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain

« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2009, 05:39:08 PM »

In theory you're right but in practice you're 100% wrong.
Earth

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2009, 07:38:34 PM »

Thanks for the examp- oh.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2009, 08:23:53 PM »

Being a libertarian is a state of mind. You have to really hate the government.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2009, 10:30:23 PM »

What he said. Until you can give an actual example of a state that's tried to implement libertarianism your argument holds no weight.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2009, 10:31:54 PM »

Being a libertarian is a state of mind. You have to really hate the government.

No, you just have to want the government to respect the rights of the citizens and in general stick to only a small set of necessary functions such as defense.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain

« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2009, 10:59:19 PM »

What he said. Until you can give an actual example of a state that's tried to implement libertarianism your argument holds no weight.

Anarchist communes in spain.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2009, 11:27:35 PM »

Anarchist communes in spain.

Get this through your skull - anarchism and libertarianism are not the same thing. Anarchy involves there being no government, libertarianism still has government, just a small one that does only a few basic things.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain

« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2009, 11:38:33 PM »

In theory you're right but in practice libertarianism leads to chaos.
Earth

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2009, 01:09:59 AM »

There wasn't any Libertarianism involved, guy.

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2009, 01:14:29 AM »

It really scares you doesn't it.  Is there something about libertarianism that secretly excites you but you're afraid of what those thoughts might lead to?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2009, 08:45:12 AM »

Except you've yet to show any example of an actual libertarian state that has failed. You've reference anarchists, but that's not the same thing.

Frankly, I think a libertarian state would be more likely just have it's government grow bigger over time than to collapse. Take the US government for example. While not libertarian in the total sense, it was originally rather minarchist. It started with the Articles of Confederation which were too weak to hold, moved to the Constitution which increased the size and power of the federal government (which was still comparatively small to what it currently is today) which gradually grew in size and role.
ncvoter
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2009, 09:18:40 PM »

Everybody can make fun of this but the two party system has failed miserably. You are now going to see some of the toughest times since 1982. These idiot democrats are trying to make it sound like the depression so when they fail miserably they have an excuse. Hopefully there will be a change in the balance of congress so we do not totally destroy the country with this leftist garbage.
Perhaps we need a third party, Libertarian sounds ok to me, they cannot do a worse job than the republicans and democrats.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies