Tim Ryan will not run for the U.S. Senate seat in Ohio.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:46:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Tim Ryan will not run for the U.S. Senate seat in Ohio.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tim Ryan will not run for the U.S. Senate seat in Ohio.  (Read 1558 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 18, 2009, 09:04:51 PM »

I'm surprised that this hasn't been covered/discussed here. He endorsed Fisher.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 09:12:21 PM »
« Edited: February 18, 2009, 09:15:54 PM by Ronnie »

Smiley

This is not to say that I'm not terrified of Fisher, but it's nice that we have a tiny weight taken off of our shoulders.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 09:13:05 PM »
« Edited: February 18, 2009, 09:48:55 PM by Lunar »

He endorsed Fisher like the day after he declared, right?

I mean, the two strongest factions in Ohio are backing other candidates (Strickland->Fisher, Brown->Brunner), pretty much a given that Ryan and Space were out.  I mean, as talented as Ryan is, trying to go up against two statewide officials backed by two other statewide titans, Ryan would be dead in the primary.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 09:39:19 PM »

Cry

If you need me, I'll be in my dorm room depressed.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 10:07:09 PM »

Brown is backing Brunner and Strickland is for Fisher? Excellent. It'll be great watching those two rip each other to shreds.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 10:12:49 PM »

I don't know if Brown is formally doing that, but it's no secret whom he wants to win.

Considering that Strickland is running for reelection and is far more of an institution than the recently-elected Brown, it's not going to be a death brawl with the personalities involved (I think).  At the very least, I expect it to get a lot more ferocious for the GOP primaries in Florida, Kansas and Missouri as of now.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 10:14:22 PM »

Considering that Strickland is running for reelection and is far more of an institution than the recently-elected Brown

They were both elected statewide in 2006. Actually, Brown was elected statewide before that as well.  Tongue
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 10:18:15 PM »

Really?  Eh, we'll see then.  Strickland's the one that's gonna be on the ballot & campaigning with Fisher while Brown might keep his endorsement private, dunno

I still think the GOP's Missouri (establishment vs. anti-establishment), Kansas (free for all), and Florida for both parties will have more rough & tumble primaries as of now.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 10:21:02 PM »

You, of all people, didn't know that they were both elected in 2006?  Tongue

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I agree...for now. That doesn't mean that I won't enjoy watching the Dems fight it out (even if it's mild) in another contest.  Tongue
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 12:51:43 AM »

I don't know if Brown is formally doing that, but it's no secret whom he wants to win.

Considering that Strickland is running for reelection and is far more of an institution than the recently-elected Brown, it's not going to be a death brawl with the personalities involved (I think).  At the very least, I expect it to get a lot more ferocious for the GOP primaries in Florida, Kansas and Missouri as of now.

Other than Kansas (which I expect to be deadlocked between Tiahrt and Moran), the GOP primaries in MO and FL should be smooth sailing barring something strange happening.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 09:47:40 AM »

Other than Kansas (which I expect to be deadlocked between Tiahrt and Moran), the GOP primaries in MO and FL should be smooth sailing barring something strange happening.

Why are you optimistic about FL? 2004 was quite ugly, with Martinez pissing off much of the party by going nuclear against McCollum.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 10:47:50 AM »

Endorsement for Fisher :-D
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 11:06:44 AM »

Not totally surprised by this.

I think Tim Ryan wants to stay in the House and get some seniority on the Appropriations Committee. I know he's stated in his past that it was one of his goals in Congress. I also think he may have some personal issues regarding his failed marriage (infidelity issues).
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 03:18:10 AM »

Considering that Strickland is running for reelection and is far more of an institution than the recently-elected Brown

Huh? WTF? Strickland is far more of an institution despite being elected the same year as Brown and Brown being in public office longer than Strickland overall? Once again, wtf?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 03:21:48 AM »

Huh? WTF? Strickland is far more of an institution despite being elected the same year as Brown and Brown being in public office longer than Strickland overall? Once again, wtf?

Maybe he meant that his endorsement is more meaningful because:

a)A governor is more powerful than a senator as he can use his statewide machine to help his prefered candidate (see Clinton in Democratic Primary).

b)Strickland is more popular than Brown.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 12:04:31 AM »

This sucks.  Brunner and Fisher are both terrible candidates IMO.  Fisher is basically a pawn of Strickland who I've become increasingly more frustrated with since his election.  Brunner is a polarizing idiot who will likely be the nominee simply because she is a "she."  At this point I'm hoping that Mary Taylor can take down Portman in the GOP primary so I can vote for her instead.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 02:54:43 AM »

At this point I'm hoping that Mary Taylor can take down Portman in the GOP primary so I can vote for her instead.

Is there any chance of Taylor running? I saw her listed as a potential candidate on Politics1. Would she have any shot at winning the nomination?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies