Steelman throws down the motherf**king gauntlet
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:42:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Steelman throws down the motherf**king gauntlet
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Steelman throws down the motherf**king gauntlet  (Read 3285 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 20, 2009, 12:15:55 AM »

Former Missouri state treasurer Sarah Steelman said she is planning to run against former House Minority Whip Roy Blunt for the Senate, setting up the prospect of a bruising nomination battle.

“I’m in the process of laying the groundwork that I need to get done before making an official announcement,” Steelman told POLITICO. “I’m definitely strongly leaning towards doing this.”

Her expected entrance in the campaign increases the likelihood of a divisive primary, which Blunt had been trying to avoid.

In the interview, Steelman took some sharp jabs at Blunt, describing the seven-term congressman Blunt as being part of the “old-boys' network” who has spent too much time in Washington.

“Roy Blunt is another white guy in a suit, and I think the public wants change,”
Steelman said. “There’s a good old boys’ network out there that’s hard to penetrate… and it’s not always in the best interest of the party or for conservative principles.”

Steelman has been a vocal critic of her party's leadership during her tenure as a state senator and as state Treasurer. She narrowly lost a bruising primary bid for governor in 2008 against former GOP congressman Kenny Hulshof.

Blunt officially announced his own candidacy today in St. Louis, and has been traveling throughout the state as part of his launch. He has spent the last several weeks lining up support from the GOP establishment, and would start the primary as the favorite.

In an interview with the St. Louis-Dispatch, Blunt flatly said that “Steelman can’t win the primary.”

http://www.politico.com/blogs/scorecard/0209/Steelman_Blunts_a_white_guy_in_a_suit.html

Lunar's note: Blunt launched his candidacy at a historically black college this week

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 12:16:49 AM »

LOL

Oh, God. Another white guy in a suit. Yeah, looks like Roy Blunt won this thing already...  Sad
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 12:39:54 AM »

LOL

Oh, God. Another white guy in a suit. Yeah, looks like Roy Blunt won this thing already...  Sad

Eh, don't be sad.  Blunt is a pretty conservative guy and has a semi-decent chance at winning.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 01:11:47 PM »

If Steelman wins the nomination, I may vote for her.

Unfortunately blunt may pull it out due to idoits in the MO Gop.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 04:34:53 PM »

The friends I have in MO all support Steelman claiming her to be the real conservative. I hope this is a case where its the Party Establishment vs. The base. Steelman needs to get more specific and focus on specific times where Blunt played the go-along get along game in Washington and not just on platitudes of Blunt being a Good-ole boy, and an insider.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 05:57:13 PM »

Gotta love good ole Sarah Steelman! She's one of the best weapons Democrats have for winning! I am extremely excited to watch this bloody primary unfold and watch these two bruise each other up for when they go up against the invincible Robin Carnahan. People say that the race is going to be close (as they usually are in Missouri) but they said the same thing about our gubernatorial race which Jay Nixon won by an extraordinary 19 points. While it's very, very early, I expect Carnahan to defeat Blunt 5-6 points as she will defeat Steelman 8-10 points.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 06:45:27 PM »

Gotta love good ole Sarah Steelman! She's one of the best weapons Democrats have for winning! I am extremely excited to watch this bloody primary unfold and watch these two bruise each other up for when they go up against the invincible Robin Carnahan. People say that the race is going to be close (as they usually are in Missouri) but they said the same thing about our gubernatorial race which Jay Nixon won by an extraordinary 19 points. While it's very, very early, I expect Carnahan to defeat Blunt 5-6 points as she will defeat Steelman 8-10 points.

Gubernatorial races aren't the same as senatorial races.  That's all I have to say for the moment.

P.S. Welcome to the forum!!! Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 06:47:26 PM »

Gubernatorial races aren't the same as senatorial races.  That's all I have to say for the moment.

That and...

- 2010 won't be 2008.

- Whoever the GOP nominee is won't have an unpopular incumbent tied around his or her neck.

- This Carnahan woman seems very overrated.

But, anyway, welcome to the forum.  Smiley
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 06:52:44 PM »

That and...

- 2010 won't be 2008.

- Whoever the GOP nominee is won't have an unpopular incumbent tied around his or her neck.

People judge Carnahan as a strong political force because her father Mel is revered upon in the state and she won her secretary of state race 62-36.

Robin is definitely beatable, though.  If Sarah and Roy jab at each other the whole primary and create a mess, though, we are f***ed.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 07:06:04 PM »

Maybe Sununu can run too?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 07:08:53 PM »

Carnahan is the most potent political force in Missouri right now.  She has a dynamo last name, is quite popular, has gotten more votes than anyone else in Missouri state history, etc.  She scared Kit Bond into retirement Smiley

Governor's races are different, but Blunt's not a good last name to have so soon.  I mean, Jeb probably would have a hard time running for president in 2010 if we had another national election.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 07:10:09 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
she probably is but this steelman woman also seems overrated.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 07:50:15 PM »

That and...

- 2010 won't be 2008.

People judge Carnahan as a strong political force because her father Mel is revered upon in the state and she won her secretary of state race 62-36.

Robin is definitely beatable, though.  If Sarah and Roy jab at each other the whole primary and create a mess, though, we are f***ed.

Well, her father's widow lost so I don't think the Mel factor is much of a big deal. As for the Secretary of State results, sure, that's impressive but she was running for Secretary of State. Not exactly hardball politics in those races, I'd imagine.
RBH

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 02:34:11 AM »

http://www.stlbeacon.org/beacon_backroom/steelman_says_very_serious_about_taking_on_blunt_for_us_senate

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 05:13:20 AM »

Steelman certainly sounds like a Democratic plant playing at "Palin-type dumb bitch".
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 06:17:44 AM »

That and...

- 2010 won't be 2008.

Well, her father's widow lost so I don't think the Mel factor is much of a big deal. As for the Secretary of State results, sure, that's impressive but she was running for Secretary of State. Not exactly hardball politics in those races, I'd imagine.

Jean Carnahan, which was appointed and had never before held elective office, lost by 1% to a former congressman and guberhnatorial candidate in the best republican year after 1994.

As for Secretary of State not being an important office, tell that to Katherine Harris and Ken Blackwell.

And you wonder why I call you hack.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 06:19:38 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2009, 06:23:19 AM by Lunar »

She actually won her first election too, in a way, since the public knew they were voting for her husband.

And the Carnahan name extends to more than just her parents.

Anyway, getting Robin to run in Missouri was basically the best possible realistic recruit the Democrats could have gotten, after her, Alex Sink in Florida or possibly Sebelius in Kansas.  The unrealistic ones would be like Easley and Lynch haha.

Carnahan can absolutely win, but her running turns the seat into a lean Democrat when before it might have been lean Republican.

Also, the MO Democratic Party has been picking up steam lately, it's gone sort of unnoticed compared to Colorado since MO has always been considered a swing state.  But MO Dems are becoming more and more effective at separating their brand from the national party, much like Democrats in the Dakotas or Arkansas do.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 12:03:13 PM »

That and...

- 2010 won't be 2008.

Jean Carnahan, which was appointed and had never before held elective office, lost by 1% to a former congressman and guberhnatorial candidate in the best republican year after 1994.

As for Secretary of State not being an important office, tell that to Katherine Harris and Ken Blackwell.

No, I don't wonder why. I know you're a troll and so does everyone else.

Nothing I said was hackish. If the Carnahan name was so beloved, she wouldn't have lost.

As for your second point, a big LOL at you, fool. You name two infamous Secretaries of State. Now how many others can you name? I never said it wasn't important; I said it wasn't exactly an office that gets a lot of focus when you're campaigning for it.

Move along, troll.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 12:08:24 PM »

Phil, Robin will defeat your boy Roy Blunt, and if you don't like that, too bad!
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 12:12:13 PM »

That and...

- 2010 won't be 2008.

No, I don't wonder why. I know you're a troll and so does everyone else.

Nothing I said was hackish. If the Carnahan name was so beloved, she wouldn't have lost.

She lost because of the others factors that I mentioned and you, like a good hack, chose to ignore.

As for your second point, a big LOL at you, fool. You name two infamous Secretaries of State. Now how many others can you name?

How about Jennifer Brunner, Mark Ritchie, Jesse White and Jan Brewer?
You must have heard them if you follow the news, which I doubt.

Nice try.
Dude.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 12:16:21 PM »

Phil, Robin will defeat your boy Roy Blunt, and if you don't like that, too bad!

I've made it clear that I don't like Blunt.

She lost because of the others factors that I mentioned and you, like a good hack, chose to ignore.

I know why she lost and it proves that that name isn't golden there.

LOL

All names that I know because I'm a political person.

No one had a clue as to who Brewer or White or even Ritchie are before some scandal. Nobody really knows Brunner either.

This is one of the saddest arguments ever. You are a failure.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2009, 12:23:39 PM »

LOL

No one had a clue as to who Brewer or White or even Ritchie are before some scandal. Nobody really knows Brunner either.

You were talking about being Secretary of State and hardball politics.
Now you are talking about name recognition. Or in other words, you are changing your argument.
How typical.

For a hack.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2009, 12:25:48 PM »

LOL

You were talking about being Secretary of State and hardball politics.
Now you are talking about name recognition. Or in other words, you are changing your argument.
How typical.

For a hack.

And just because you can name a few exceptions to the rule doesn't mean that the office is a huge deal to people.

I'm not changing my argument at all. I meant that fighting to win the office isn't exactly a battle like a race for Governor, a House seat or a Senate seat.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2009, 12:39:35 PM »

Interestingly, another famous secretary of state - Roy Blunt

I think SoS is harder than winning elections as a Republican in Roy Blunt's district
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2009, 01:32:29 PM »

I know why she lost and it proves that that name isn't golden there.

Unqualified widow loses in a bad year for her party by 1 point = name isn't an asset
Qualified incumbent loses in a bad year for his party by 18 points = good candidate for President
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies