Steelman throws down the motherf**king gauntlet (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:21:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Steelman throws down the motherf**king gauntlet (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Steelman throws down the motherf**king gauntlet  (Read 3308 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« on: February 20, 2009, 12:15:55 AM »

Former Missouri state treasurer Sarah Steelman said she is planning to run against former House Minority Whip Roy Blunt for the Senate, setting up the prospect of a bruising nomination battle.

“I’m in the process of laying the groundwork that I need to get done before making an official announcement,” Steelman told POLITICO. “I’m definitely strongly leaning towards doing this.”

Her expected entrance in the campaign increases the likelihood of a divisive primary, which Blunt had been trying to avoid.

In the interview, Steelman took some sharp jabs at Blunt, describing the seven-term congressman Blunt as being part of the “old-boys' network” who has spent too much time in Washington.

“Roy Blunt is another white guy in a suit, and I think the public wants change,”
Steelman said. “There’s a good old boys’ network out there that’s hard to penetrate… and it’s not always in the best interest of the party or for conservative principles.”

Steelman has been a vocal critic of her party's leadership during her tenure as a state senator and as state Treasurer. She narrowly lost a bruising primary bid for governor in 2008 against former GOP congressman Kenny Hulshof.

Blunt officially announced his own candidacy today in St. Louis, and has been traveling throughout the state as part of his launch. He has spent the last several weeks lining up support from the GOP establishment, and would start the primary as the favorite.

In an interview with the St. Louis-Dispatch, Blunt flatly said that “Steelman can’t win the primary.”

http://www.politico.com/blogs/scorecard/0209/Steelman_Blunts_a_white_guy_in_a_suit.html

Lunar's note: Blunt launched his candidacy at a historically black college this week

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 07:08:53 PM »

Carnahan is the most potent political force in Missouri right now.  She has a dynamo last name, is quite popular, has gotten more votes than anyone else in Missouri state history, etc.  She scared Kit Bond into retirement Smiley

Governor's races are different, but Blunt's not a good last name to have so soon.  I mean, Jeb probably would have a hard time running for president in 2010 if we had another national election.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 06:19:38 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2009, 06:23:19 AM by Lunar »

She actually won her first election too, in a way, since the public knew they were voting for her husband.

And the Carnahan name extends to more than just her parents.

Anyway, getting Robin to run in Missouri was basically the best possible realistic recruit the Democrats could have gotten, after her, Alex Sink in Florida or possibly Sebelius in Kansas.  The unrealistic ones would be like Easley and Lynch haha.

Carnahan can absolutely win, but her running turns the seat into a lean Democrat when before it might have been lean Republican.

Also, the MO Democratic Party has been picking up steam lately, it's gone sort of unnoticed compared to Colorado since MO has always been considered a swing state.  But MO Dems are becoming more and more effective at separating their brand from the national party, much like Democrats in the Dakotas or Arkansas do.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 12:39:35 PM »

Interestingly, another famous secretary of state - Roy Blunt

I think SoS is harder than winning elections as a Republican in Roy Blunt's district
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 03:32:44 PM »

Mmm, well outside from his obvious dig, Bob Casey Jr. might not be a bad example of what a popular name can do.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 03:39:21 PM »

How do you know Carnahan isn't somewhat the equivalent if not more so?  Because his unqualified widow barely lost an election in a bad year?  I mean, the fact that he could posthumously defeat Ashcroft at all was impressive.  And there's more to the Carnahan name than just Mel.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies