Steelman throws down the motherf**king gauntlet (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:35:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Steelman throws down the motherf**king gauntlet (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Steelman throws down the motherf**king gauntlet  (Read 3311 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« on: February 20, 2009, 12:16:49 AM »

LOL

Oh, God. Another white guy in a suit. Yeah, looks like Roy Blunt won this thing already...  Sad
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 06:47:26 PM »

Gubernatorial races aren't the same as senatorial races.  That's all I have to say for the moment.

That and...

- 2010 won't be 2008.

- Whoever the GOP nominee is won't have an unpopular incumbent tied around his or her neck.

- This Carnahan woman seems very overrated.

But, anyway, welcome to the forum.  Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 07:50:15 PM »

Gubernatorial races aren't the same as senatorial races.  That's all I have to say for the moment.

That and...

- 2010 won't be 2008.

- Whoever the GOP nominee is won't have an unpopular incumbent tied around his or her neck.

People judge Carnahan as a strong political force because her father Mel is revered upon in the state and she won her secretary of state race 62-36.

Robin is definitely beatable, though.  If Sarah and Roy jab at each other the whole primary and create a mess, though, we are f***ed.

Well, her father's widow lost so I don't think the Mel factor is much of a big deal. As for the Secretary of State results, sure, that's impressive but she was running for Secretary of State. Not exactly hardball politics in those races, I'd imagine.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 12:03:13 PM »

That and...

- 2010 won't be 2008.

People judge Carnahan as a strong political force because her father Mel is revered upon in the state and she won her secretary of state race 62-36.

Robin is definitely beatable, though.  If Sarah and Roy jab at each other the whole primary and create a mess, though, we are f***ed.

Well, her father's widow lost so I don't think the Mel factor is much of a big deal. As for the Secretary of State results, sure, that's impressive but she was running for Secretary of State. Not exactly hardball politics in those races, I'd imagine.

Jean Carnahan, which was appointed and had never before held elective office, lost by 1% to a former congressman and guberhnatorial candidate in the best republican year after 1994.

As for Secretary of State not being an important office, tell that to Katherine Harris and Ken Blackwell.

And you wonder why I call you hack.

No, I don't wonder why. I know you're a troll and so does everyone else.

Nothing I said was hackish. If the Carnahan name was so beloved, she wouldn't have lost.

As for your second point, a big LOL at you, fool. You name two infamous Secretaries of State. Now how many others can you name? I never said it wasn't important; I said it wasn't exactly an office that gets a lot of focus when you're campaigning for it.

Move along, troll.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 12:16:21 PM »

Phil, Robin will defeat your boy Roy Blunt, and if you don't like that, too bad!

I've made it clear that I don't like Blunt.

She lost because of the others factors that I mentioned and you, like a good hack, chose to ignore.

I know why she lost and it proves that that name isn't golden there.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

LOL

All names that I know because I'm a political person.

No one had a clue as to who Brewer or White or even Ritchie are before some scandal. Nobody really knows Brunner either.

This is one of the saddest arguments ever. You are a failure.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 12:25:48 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

LOL

All names that I know because I'm a political person.

No one had a clue as to who Brewer or White or even Ritchie are before some scandal. Nobody really knows Brunner either.

You were talking about being Secretary of State and hardball politics.
Now you are talking about name recognition. Or in other words, you are changing your argument.
How typical.

For a hack.

And just because you can name a few exceptions to the rule doesn't mean that the office is a huge deal to people.

I'm not changing my argument at all. I meant that fighting to win the office isn't exactly a battle like a race for Governor, a House seat or a Senate seat.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 02:28:42 PM »

I know why she lost and it proves that that name isn't golden there.

Unqualified widow loses in a bad year for her party by 1 point = name isn't an asset
Qualified incumbent loses in a bad year for his party by 18 points = good candidate for President

Roll Eyes

Disingenuous as always. I never said the name wasn't an asset. As for the other point you make, get the hell over it, dude. Now go on to tell me that whatever you say to me isn't meant to be personal.

He believes absolutely NO democrat can win Missouri, in ANY race, because Obama lost the state by 1/10th of 1 point in 2008.

Oh...uh...really?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 03:34:50 PM »

Mmm, well outside from his obvious dig, Bob Casey Jr. might not be a bad example of what a popular name can do.

Yeah, well, that's a beloved name, not Carnahan. I never said the name wasn't an asset. Brittain just strives to be as dishonest as possible and throw in a few Santorum jabs while he's at it. So sad, yet so amusing, that his haters still obsess over him.

Just watch how I get blamed for this flare up, too.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 03:44:02 PM »

How do you know Carnahan isn't somewhat the equivalent if not more so?  Because his unqualified widow barely lost an election in a bad year?  I mean, the fact that he could posthumously defeat Ashcroft at all was impressive.  And there's more to the Carnahan name than just Mel.

I still don't get why people go crazy over that result. It was a close race before his death. It really isn't that big that his widow won on sympathy. Sorry if that sounds cold but let's get real, guys.

The Carnahan's aren't the Casey's. They're no where near as entrenched. Mel was a popular Governor but his wife certainly didn't help the name. They have one in Congress (which is great but isn't statewide proof) and Robin in a statewide office. She won a close race in 2004 and won easily in 2008. Good for her. That recording breaking win was an obvious accomplishment but I think some are overestimating it.

All I've been saying is that winning a Secretary of State race and a U.S. Senate race are two very different beasts.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies