Edwards is against Gay Marriage AND Civil Unions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:14:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Edwards is against Gay Marriage AND Civil Unions
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Edwards is against Gay Marriage AND Civil Unions  (Read 6099 times)
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2004, 11:04:14 PM »

It does?  Cheney neither helps nor hurts Bush.

I disagree.  I actually think Cheney does hurt Bush.  He's too polarizing.  He's likely more hated than Bush is.  Can you imagine if something were to happen to Bush, and we had a President Dick Cheney?  I bet anyone would rather have Bush than Cheney.  I actually know of some people, swing voters, who say they would vote for a Bush/Giuliani ticket but not a Bush/Cheney ticket.

But you are right, Cheney doesn't help Bush.  He adds...Wyoming.  A state that goes Republican no matter what.

Giuliani, on the other hand, would even make New York more competitive.  (Though N.Y. goes Dem even with Dennis Kucinich on the ticket.)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2004, 01:18:50 AM »

That's if Bush keeps Cheney.  You're right...in a debate between Edwards and Cheney, Cheney loses.

There is nothing wrong with Cheney's debating talents.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2004, 01:28:57 AM »

I agree that a Edwards vs. Giuliani race would definitely cause for some interesting dynamics. The electoral map would probably look similar to the 1976 Ford/Carter race.

I don't think that Edwards's position is inconsistent. He personally does not favor gay marriage or civil unions, but feels that the states should be allowed to make their own laws. He respects the right of the people to have gay marriage or civil unions if they so choose. He does not wish to impose his moral views on those who may disagree.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2004, 01:33:25 AM »

That's if Bush keeps Cheney.  You're right...in a debate between Edwards and Cheney, Cheney loses.

Cheney kicks ass.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2004, 01:36:54 AM »

Cheney kicks ass.

well, this time cheney may actually have to debate someone with a pulse.  

Actually, I like lieberman's and cheney's old-school sit-down style debate.  I guess I'm the only one who does though.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2004, 01:51:21 AM »

No, I liked it too...it was kind of annoying to hear them agree so much though...Lieberman in particular should have been more aggressive in pointing out the differences between them.

Lieberman is not as conservative as he is made out to be, he is liberal on a lot of issues actually, but he tries to downplay differences and come to consensus on issues, since he knows that's the only way to get things done. It's unfortunate that such a person can't get elected...
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2004, 03:36:44 AM »

No, I liked it too...it was kind of annoying to hear them agree so much though...Lieberman in particular should have been more aggressive in pointing out the differences between them.

best line ever:  Sen. Lieberman:  "Did we deliver?  Major league, if you'll pardon the expression."

honorable mention:  Richard Cheney:  "we'd like to put you back there" (responding to Lieberman's statement about the private sector.)

If they can stay away from the gay and other off-putting stuff, the Bushies will have it.  Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies