"Living standards" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:50:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  "Living standards" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Living standards"  (Read 1521 times)
Four49
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.42, S: -8.09

« on: February 24, 2009, 10:24:32 PM »

When the cost of food goes up 5% and I get a 3% pay increase, my living standards are dwindling.
Four49
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 04:20:30 AM »

Yes yes, we're all "slaves" to the "man".  If being a slave means DVRs, large HDTVs, modern PCs w/ broadband, a grocery store with more food options than any sane human could want and all the other awesome things life in 2009 brings us.  It sure beats picking cotton or playing human shield on the front lines.

Lots of people can't afford those things, and lots more can't afford health care, housing, or transportation.
Define "lots".

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Why should it?  If it's a better system for the top 90%, a wash for the next 5% and a worse system* for the bottom 5%, isn't that better than a system that is the exact opposite?  The idea of slowing society's advance down just to make sure the bottom rung on the latter is well taken care of is insane to me.

*I don't actually buy that.  I think everybody does better in a capitalist based economy.  Feel free to plug in your own numbers though.

How does capitalism reduce choice and quality?  If a company rises to become a monopoly, perhaps they'd stop giving a sh**t and just force us to keep doling out cash for their sh**tty product (Microsoft comes to mind), but at least other companies (Apple) or ideas (Linux) will have an opportunity to step in.   

If the state controls any or all industry, what hopes do the people have of a better option?
Four49
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 04:32:28 AM »

Are you asking me?  I don't think capitalism does reduce choice or quality.  In fact, the opposite tends to be true.

No, I was actually backing you up on that one.  People can say what they want about the evils of capitalism, and they do exist, but they pale in comparison to the alternatives.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies