Excited for the President's address to Congress?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:03:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Excited for the President's address to Congress?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Poll
Question: Are you excited for President Obama's first address to a joint session of Congress?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Excited for the President's address to Congress?  (Read 10615 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2009, 10:34:24 PM »

"Half of Louisiana was said to be underwater, and the other half under indictment"  ?

Really Bobby?  I'm pretty sure that was the same half.  The half that wasn't underwater has its own problems.
Four49
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.42, S: -8.09

« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2009, 10:34:32 PM »

Isn't it a little early for him to be trying snatch the 'change/Washington outsider' mantle from Obama?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2009, 10:35:08 PM »

This guy is the Republican Obama? haha, okay
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2009, 10:35:31 PM »

I really doubt that his chances for the nomination are sunk because of an address that few people will see or remember.

Wow, Piyush has been really embarassing tonight. Is this how he normally speaks?

I love when Democrats can make fun of someone's name...  Roll Eyes
Four49
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2009, 10:36:09 PM »

Now he's the 'hope' candidate, too. 
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2009, 10:37:28 PM »

LOL

Thanks for that Bobby. I almost forgot I was an American there.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2009, 10:38:04 PM »

MSNBC is speechless. Tongue
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2009, 10:38:21 PM »

Jindal sounds like the old pedophile from Family Guy. He sounds like he's about to start whistling.
Four49
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2009, 10:38:50 PM »

I really doubt that his chances for the nomination are sunk because of an address that few people will see or remember.

Wow, Piyush has been really embarassing tonight. Is this how he normally speaks?

I remember Tim Kaine's name being mentioned pretty heavily for 2008 until he bombed giving a rebuttal.  2005 or 2006, I can't remember which.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2009, 10:38:56 PM »

This guy is the Republican Obama? haha, okay

Well, Republicans don't think much of Obama, so you do the math.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2009, 10:40:28 PM »

I remember Tim Kaine's name being mentioned pretty heavily for 2008 until he bombed giving a rebuttal.  2005 or 2006, I can't remember which.

No one talked about Kaine for President in 2008. No one talked about it seriously at least.

Anyway, MSNBC is a huge joke. Chris Matthews basically said that the GOP can't talk about corruption because Scooter Libby was a registered Republican. Really, Chris? That's the best you have?
Four49
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2009, 10:41:12 PM »

Dude, he's not campaigning.  He's given a State of the Union response speech.

Right, and Obama's wasn't the first major stump speech of the 2012 elections.  Jindal wouldn't be doing this if the GOP wasn't trying him out for the same election.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2009, 10:41:30 PM »

Jindal's response was underwhelming, to say the least.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2009, 10:41:53 PM »

Jindal sounds like the old pedophile from Family Guy. He sounds like he's about to start whistling.

What's funny is that President Obama actually whistles his S's.

And LOL @ Chris Matthews delivering the response to the Republican response.  
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2009, 10:42:12 PM »

No one talked about Kaine for President in 2008. No one talked about it seriously at least.

Anyway, MSNBC is a huge joke. Chris Matthews basically said that the GOP can't talk about corruption because Scooter Libby was a registered Republican. Really, Chris? That's the best you have?

You're ignoring other things Chris and Rachel mentioned, like "Bobby" invoking Katrina as an example of why we can't depend on government. Seriously? It had nothing to do with Republicans cramming a little known independent agency called FEMA into Homeland Security to 'consolidate' government?
Four49
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2009, 10:42:46 PM »

Not true.  People, at least the ones I know and the pundits I read/watched, were talking about him the same way Jindal's been talked about recently.  Rising star, popular southern Gov, etc.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2009, 10:43:29 PM »

Dude, he's not campaigning.  He's given a State of the Union response speech.

Right, and Obama's wasn't the first major stump speech of the 2012 elections.  Jindal wouldn't be doing this if the GOP wasn't trying him out for the same election.

I have to agree on the importance of these speeches. How many of us here remember Obama from 2004? Good speeches can last awhile and bad speeches early on can kill a potential candidate.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2009, 10:44:37 PM »

Jindal listed a lot of good reasons why we can't depend on Republican government. Democrats actually know how to run the country.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2009, 10:45:37 PM »

Ugh...... Jindal certainly didn't dazzle anyone tonight. Not his best performance by far. The best part of the speech was the ending. I don't know why he told these silly stories throughout the speech.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2009, 10:47:05 PM »

You're ignoring other things Chris and Rachel mentioned, like "Bobby" invoking Katrina as an example of why we can't depend on government. Seriously? It had nothing to do with Republicans cramming a little known independent agency called FEMA into Homeland Security to 'consolidate' government?

Actually, uh, it is a classic example as to why we can't rely totally on the government.

Of course you deliver your typical hack nonsense and give no blame to the Democratic Governor at the time.

Not true.  People, at least the ones I know and the pundits I read/watched, were talking about him the same way Jindal's been talked about recently.  Rising star, popular southern Gov, etc.

Uh...

No, they never spoke about Kaine like they speak about Jindal. Sure, Kaine was a rising star but he was never talked about as a Presidential candidate in 2008.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2009, 10:48:27 PM »

Jindal listed a lot of good reasons why we can't depend on Republican government. Democrats actually know how to run the country.

Dems run anything? LOL

Thanks, I needed that.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2009, 10:48:42 PM »

sick, Luntz over on FNC is coming into my class for a guest lecture in a couple weeks
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2009, 10:51:48 PM »

Actually, uh, it is a classic example as to why we can't rely totally on the government.

Of course you deliver your typical hack nonsense and give no blame to the Democratic Governor at the time.

There was plenty of blame to go around to be sure, but people seem to forget that Government is a tool used to accomplish a goal used by the party in power.

The Democrats in Louisiana deserve some of the blame, but Bush seemed generally disinterested in the affair and FEMA (which deserves the most blame) was horrifically mismanaged and ran in the run-up to the landing of the hurricane.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2009, 10:53:44 PM »

There was plenty of blame to go around to be sure, but people seem to forget that Government is a tool used to accomplish a goal used by the party in power.

The Democrats in Louisiana deserve some of the blame, but Bush seemed generally disinterested in the affair and FEMA (which deserves the most blame) was horrifically mismanaged and ran in the run-up to the landing of the hurricane.

I certainly won't deny that the federal end was a mess but I think we need to hear more about all levels of government that failed during that time.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2009, 10:56:11 PM »

I certainly won't deny that the federal end was a mess but I think we need to hear more about all levels of government that failed during that time.

Definitely, but I'm sure you can agree that after 8 years of Republican dominance the Republican response being catered directly at railing against the recent failures of government was an unusual strategy to say the least.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies