Opinion of this quote
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:20:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of this quote
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: See below
Freedom Quote

Horrible Sentiment

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 7

Author Topic: Opinion of this quote  (Read 1642 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 04, 2009, 11:22:11 PM »

"Oh Lord, make me chaste and pure...but not yet."  -St. Augustine

I'm quite fond of it, as it has many, many real-life applications and is a sentiment we have all felt from time to time.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 12:22:28 AM »

Horrible-if what you're doing is fun and not hurting anybody, why is it wrong?  If what you're doing is knowingly wrong and hurting somebody else and you continue to do it you're a giant asshat.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 01:59:49 AM »

Horrible-if what you're doing is fun and not hurting anybody, why is it wrong?  If what you're doing is knowingly wrong and hurting somebody else and you continue to do it you're a giant asshat.

I don't think I'm reading the quote the same way as you, since I don't get anything about harm/non-harm out of it.

My interpretation:  I think the quote isn't meant to be taken literally, but rather to express the natural human tendency toward existential angst over purity -- and our perpetual unwillingness to do it quite yet.

In that, I think it's quite clever.  But maybe I'm projecting and totally misconstruing it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 02:31:21 AM »

To me it's saying, I know what I'm doing is wrong, but I don't want to stop doing it yet.  I find that attitude disgusting and something to be avoided (even if we all do it).

And I always read the quote as a joke anyway.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 09:34:26 AM »

I don't have a problem with Augustine acknowledging that he is a flawed human being in this quote or anything else that comes from the Confessions.  But what I don't like about it is also what I don't like about every other thing that came out of Augustines mouth or from his pen.  It's supposedly God's job to make him chaste and pure, and not his own.  (And on top of it, it's God's job to wait to make him chaste and pure until his is finally sexually satisfied.)  Once again, it's the orthodox Christian position that human beings can't do a thing to improve themselves and only God's grace will make or break one's fate.  Too much slavery for me.  Please, oh please give me Palegius and Abelard!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies