Is it true Catholicism prohibits religious tattoos?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:20:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Is it true Catholicism prohibits religious tattoos?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is it true Catholicism prohibits religious tattoos?  (Read 5721 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 27, 2009, 02:23:28 AM »

So basically I read that while the Roman Catholic Church does not prohibit all tattoos like some fundies (and I'll give it credit for that) it does have guidelines you can't have any "indecent" ones or ones with religious imagery. No crosses, pictures of Jesus, etc.

So if true, why? Seems odd.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 02:32:54 AM »

The vast majority of Catholics believe there is no prohibition against tattoos.

A small minority see it as bodily desecration, which has been prohibited by various documents throughout the years.  Many point to Leviticus 19:28.

I do not believe the Church has released any specific information pertaining to tattoos.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 03:01:49 PM »

If the Catholic religion does proscribe those horrific desecration's of the body,  I might consider converting. Tongue
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 04:05:44 PM »

Judaism says no tattoos; it also prohibits all piercings except earrings.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 04:42:23 PM »
« Edited: February 27, 2009, 04:44:07 PM by Supersoulty »

So basically I read that while the Roman Catholic Church does not prohibit all tattoos like some fundies (and I'll give it credit for that) it does have guidelines you can't have any "indecent" ones or ones with religious imagery. No crosses, pictures of Jesus, etc.

Well, its not true, so lets end it there... unless you put Jesus' face on your ass, or something.

Though, I will take this moment to praise you for asking, for once, as opposed to simply assuming.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 05:52:54 AM »
« Edited: February 28, 2009, 05:57:01 AM by Alcon »

That's hardly a universal interpretation among Jews.  More common than among Catholics, but there's extensive debate in both circles over whether Leviticus 19:28 relates to blasphemous tattoos, or all of them.

Well, its not true, so lets end it there... unless you put Jesus' face on your ass, or something.

Though, I will take this moment to praise you for asking, for once, as opposed to simply assuming.

To be fair, a minority of Catholics do hold that view, and there's no Church documents I could fine.  So I'm not sure you can really outright say "it's not true"...

If the Church hasn't bothered to release anything on it, I assume it's a rather trivial matter to them either way.

(I don't want to sound condescending, obviously you kick my Catholicism-understanding ass to the moon. Tongue)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 02:48:21 PM »

That's hardly a universal interpretation among Jews.  More common than among Catholics, but there's extensive debate in both circles over whether Leviticus 19:28 relates to blasphemous tattoos, or all of them.

To be fair, a minority of Catholics do hold that view, and there's no Church documents I could fine.  So I'm not sure you can really outright say "it's not true"...

If the Church hasn't bothered to release anything on it, I assume it's a rather trivial matter to them either way.

(I don't want to sound condescending, obviously you kick my Catholicism-understanding ass to the moon. Tongue)

If you can't find the documentation, then the Catholic Church doesn't believe it, or teach it, plain and simple.  Individual Catholics might think it, but that's just their opinion.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 02:53:07 PM »

I read it as prohibiting tattoos of all kinds.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 06:38:01 PM »

If you can't find the documentation, then the Catholic Church doesn't believe it, or teach it, plain and simple.  Individual Catholics might think it, but that's just their opinion.

But does that mean that they prescribe that tattoos are acceptable?

Well, I know, I'm just sayin', not all Jews agree.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 06:49:02 PM »

But does that mean that they prescribe that tattoos are acceptable?

Well, I know, I'm just sayin', not all Jews agree.

I think that it means there position is to have no position.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 06:58:54 PM »

I think that it means there position is to have no position.

Oh, and BRTD's original question was about the RCC's position, not "Catholics."  I get what's happening now -- sorry.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 09:09:17 PM »

Oh, and BRTD's original question was about the RCC's position, not "Catholics."

Which is just as well, since one could descend into an argument over whether Catholicism is synonymous with the followers of the Church of Rome.

(Of course I consider all you Pauline Christians to be misguided heretics, but that's beside the point.)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 11:51:50 PM »

(Of course I consider all you Pauline Christians to be misguided heretics, but that's beside the point.)

Huh?  A Pauline Christian?  As opposed to a Peterine Christian?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 12:30:03 AM »

To clear up the Jewish side of this, there has been over the last few years a general relaxing of the tattoo issue. In the WW2 era Jews it is generally believed that if you have a tattoo you can't even be buried in a Jewish cemetery.

It has since been debunked by modern rabbis and rejected completely. Tattoos are not promoted, but they aren't a huge deal. It was more of a taboo thing that our grandparents used to scare their rowdy kids from doing in the 60's.

On the earring aspect I don't think the "ears only" thing is true. If it is, that interpretation is only taken by fringe groups that see it as promiscuous, etc. Considering there is much biblical precedent for nose rings, et al, it is likely not part of Jewish culture.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 12:40:34 AM »
« Edited: March 01, 2009, 12:42:23 AM by Supersoulty »

Yes, because us Catholics don't have Paul's writings in our Bible.  We are too busy worshiping the Pope.

He means as opposed to people who don't follow the writings of Paul at all, i.e. Gnosticism or Ebionism.

You are quite weak on topics of Christology and general topics of Christian theology aren't you?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 12:47:29 AM »

The funny thing is, jmf, that, by definition, you aren't even Pauline.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2009, 01:00:24 AM »

Yes, because us Catholics don't have Paul's writings in our Bible.  We are too busy worshiping the Pope.

oh, boy....my "Peterine Christian" comment had nothing to do with Catholics.  I thought he was trying to say Paul invented Christianity, so I pointed to another Christian (Peter) who had come before Paul, yet agreed with Paul.

---

He means as opposed to people who don't follow the writings of Paul at all, i.e. Gnosticism or Ebionism.

You are quite weak on topics of Christology and general topics of Christian theology aren't you?

yep, keeps me from being influenced by the doctrinal errors of others.  I take it upon myself to watch my doctrine carefully and to keep it concise and in agreement with scripture.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2009, 01:28:10 AM »

oh, boy....my "Peterine Christian" comment had nothing to do with Catholics.  I thought he was trying to say Paul invented Christianity, so I pointed to another Christian (Peter) who had come before Paul, yet agreed with Paul.

---

yep, keeps me from being influenced by the doctrinal errors of others.  I take it upon myself to watch my doctrine carefully and to keep it concise and in agreement with scripture.

And yet, you embrace a notion that scripture rejects as clearly as the day.

Anyone reading our Bible would be able to see pretty clearly that the authors believed in Trinitarian doctrine, or at least there was something distinct about Father, Son and Holy Spirit, and yet, you invented your own doctrine to reject this.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2009, 02:00:19 AM »

And yet, you embrace a notion that scripture rejects as clearly as the day.

Anyone reading our Bible would be able to see pretty clearly that the authors believed in Trinitarian doctrine, or at least there was something distinct about Father, Son and Holy Spirit, and yet, you invented your own doctrine to reject this.

Huh?!

For the record:

I believe in ONE God.  I believe God always existed.  I believe God is an invisible spirit who fills the whole universe.  I believe Jesus Christ always existed and was always God.  I believe that Jesus Christ was God in the flesh.  I believe the entire Godhead dwelt in the body of Jesus Christ.  I believe anyone that receives the Spirit of Christ (a.k.a. Holy Spirit) has received the entire Godhead.

In the Father, Son and Holy Spirit...I see three DISTINCT manifestations of a single invisible spirit supreme being known as God.

And all of those statements are easily supported by scripture, and are pretty much VERBATIM quotes from scripture.

---

But, using a specific Godhead doctrine as a litmus test for Christianity that goes beyond the requirement for accepting Jesus Christ as Lord is contrary to scripture, which states that anyone acknowledging the Son possesses the Father as well:

1John 2:23 "whoever acknowledges the Son has the Father also."

I, jmfcst, acknowledge the deity of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.  Therefore, I have passed God's litmus test and in so doing I have the Father as well.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2009, 02:26:36 PM »

Pretty much the same with Islamic behavioral code.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2009, 02:31:52 PM »

Pretty much the same with Islamic behavioral code.

religion aside, I like earrings (as long as it isn't more than two per ear, preferably one per ear), but I've never gotten the tattoo thing.  It's an instant instant turnoff, no matter the location, no matter the size of the tattoo and no matter how good looking the girl.  They instantly become...UNDATEABLE!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies