Did Noah's Ark actually happen?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:21:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Did Noah's Ark actually happen?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Poll
Question: Did Noah's Ark actually happen?
Yes (Religious)

No (Religious)

Yes (Non-religious)

No (Non-religious)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Did Noah's Ark actually happen?  (Read 26877 times)
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 27, 2009, 05:43:58 PM »

John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 06:30:57 PM »

No.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 06:37:19 PM »

Yes
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 06:40:10 PM »

A global flood?  No.

As we all know, flood stories are prominent in many cultures.  As we also know, there were, in fact, catastrophic floods as late as 6000 BC caused by the end of the last Ice Age.

The story is based on something, I think is the important thing.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 06:54:23 PM »

A global flood?  No.

As we all know, flood stories are prominent in many cultures.  As we also know, there were, in fact, catastrophic floods as late as 6000 BC caused by the end of the last Ice Age.

^^^^^^
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 06:55:56 PM »

I heard that some kinda creationists were trying to look for it near by the Ararat Mount in Turkey.

To me, no. Then, yes, I think it is based on a real kinda flood story.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 07:05:49 PM »

No. I would be inclined to say that it did not.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 07:10:31 PM »

A Global Flood? Definitely Not. A Large Regional Flood? Possibly. A Boat with two animals of every species on it? No.
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 08:34:11 PM »

Did a Jew put all his stuff on a boat during a giant flood at some point during biblical times? Absolutely. Was it the basis for the story? Probably. Is the story factually accurate? No.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 09:23:01 PM »

A Global Flood? Definitely Not. A Large Regional Flood? Possibly. A Boat with two animals of every species on it? No.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 09:25:13 PM »
« Edited: February 27, 2009, 09:27:00 PM by jmfcst »

A global flood?  No.

^^^^^^

Then I guess the following people were deceived:
Moses (Genesis)
writer of 1Chron
Job
Eliphaz
Isaiah
Ezekiel
Luke
Paul
writer of Hebrews
Peter
Jesus (spoke about Noah in Matthew 24; Luke 17)
God (spoke to Noah in Genesis, and spoke about Noah to Isaiah and Ezekiel)

It amazes me that people can believe God made the entire universe out of nothing, yet doubt his ability to flood a tiny speck of the universe named "Earth"
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 09:25:35 PM »

Did a Jew put all his stuff on a boat during a giant flood at some point during biblical times? Absolutely. Was it the basis for the story? Probably. Is the story factually accurate? No.

Noah wasn't a Jew
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 09:47:31 PM »

Noah wasn't a Jew
^^^

Beat me to it.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 10:01:49 PM »

I wish someone would create a thread listing all the biblical contradictions that would result from Noah's flood not being literal. 

I'll start the list off:

1) entire biblical genealogy record, including Jesus', would be bogus
2) table of nations would be bogus
3) dietary law cycle of the bible would be bogus
etc, etc,...

Even in the flood story itself, if it weren't literal, you'd have dozens of conflicts and outright lies:
1) no need to waste time building a boat.  simply walk to higher ground
2) no reason to gather animals, they also could walk to higher ground
3) no reason to build a huge boat
4) no reason to gather a lot of food.
5) no reason to bring birds along, they could simply fly to higher ground
6) if the flood were local, God's promise not to bring another flood would be a complete LIE, since local floods happen multiple times a year
etc, etc, etc

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 10:08:28 PM »

Question for jmfcst:

Since you brought up the Table of Nations, where do the Native Americans come from?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2009, 10:19:53 PM »

A global flood?  No.

What he said.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 10:42:51 PM »
« Edited: February 27, 2009, 10:45:06 PM by jmfcst »

Question for jmfcst:

Since you brought up the Table of Nations, where do the Native Americans come from?

don't know, the bible doesn't say.  some speculate from Ham-Canaan

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 11:02:29 PM »

A global flood?  No.

^^^^^^

Moses (Genesis)
writer of 1Chron
Job
Eliphaz
Isaiah
Ezekiel
Luke
Paul
writer of Hebrews
Peter

It amazes me that people can believe God made the entire universe out of nothing, yet doubt his ability to flood a tiny speck of the universe named "Earth"

I utterly refuse to get dragged into this argument again.  I guess, in your head, that means you win.  Congrats on being the King of Fantasyland.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 01:01:41 AM »

A global flood?  No.

^^^^^^

Moses (Genesis)
writer of 1Chron
Job
Eliphaz
Isaiah
Ezekiel
Luke
Paul
writer of Hebrews
Peter

It amazes me that people can believe either of these things.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 02:11:17 AM »

A global flood?  No.

^^^^^^

Moses (Genesis)
writer of 1Chron
Job
Eliphaz
Isaiah
Ezekiel
Luke
Paul
writer of Hebrews
Peter

It amazes me that people don't believe in a higher power, no matter which God it is. I mean something had to make everything we see...
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2009, 05:40:54 AM »

Noah wasn't a Jew
^^^

Beat me to it.

My apologies...

Did some guy... etc.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2009, 10:03:24 AM »

A global flood?  No.

^^^^^^

Moses (Genesis)
writer of 1Chron
Job
Eliphaz
Isaiah
Ezekiel
Luke
Paul
writer of Hebrews
Peter

It amazes me that people don't believe in a higher power, no matter which God it is. I mean something had to make everything we see...

That just raises the question "then what made God?" - quite often the answer given is "nobody, he always existed". (not saying this is your belief, just a generality) Isn't that really just the same? If you can believe that one thing exists without a creative force behind it, then why is it so strange for another person to believe another thing exists without a creative force behind it?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2009, 11:04:44 AM »

Question for jmfcst:

don't know, the bible doesn't say.  some speculate from Ham-Canaan

1. Fossil evidence and genetic studies establish that humanity had its origins in Africa -- eastern Africa. The idea that people propagated Africa from the Levant is bass-ackwards; the Semitic peoples of the Arabian Peninsula and the Levant are from one of the latest waves of emigrants from pre-historic East Africa. Caucasoid populations of modern Europe, Iran, and the Indian subcontinent were apparently the second-to-last  prehistoric waves to leave eastern Africa. (An aside to any white racists: Caucasoid peoples are really East Africans gone pale, and lesser divergence from African peoples than some others -- such as Native Americans, Australian Aborigines, and the Sinitic peoples of China and nearby countries are longer separated from Africa than are 'de-colored' Caucasoid peoples).     

2. The biggest flood in human experience came at the end of the Ice Age. That was before any written history, but its effects would sear memories of then-living people. Any survivors would have tales to tell, and those tales would be better than anything that anyone could have put directly into writing. One likely place for such a flood is the shallow Perso-Arabian Gulf, an area that became inundated as the giant ice sheets of the Pleistocene Epoch melted. Seas rose everywhere, and such a long low plain as that of the Persian Gulf would have disappeared under water very quickly. Climate change was abrupt.

The Persian Gulf was likely a comparative paradise with water flowing from the Tigris and Euphrates River into a warm desert. It may have had some early agriculture and supported (by standards of the time) a fairly-large population. At the end of the Ice Age that ended as melt water from a few mountain glaciers in eastern Turkey and western Iran melted just as the sea water of the Indian Ocean rose. A world that might have been compatible with prehistoric peoples would have vanished underwater very abruptly.

3. Someone like Noah, clever enough to put together a reed boat to ride out the flood and have a little food on board and the foresight to take some animals, would have thrived in the aftermath. Non-survivors who didn't imitate him could be shown as fools at first, and sinners later as the story got incorporated into the Torah. Early patriarchs could express an important message for Jews: those who obey God thrive, and those who don't face severe retribution.

4. The stories of animals (two of each species) is absurd. Bears, cats of all kinds, hyenas, wolves and dogs, crocodilians, and the Komodo dragon are very nasty killers that would have found some of the herbivores easy prey in an enclosed place.  Noah would have had to have traveled around the world to get such creatures as pandas, raccoons, kangaroos, Tasmanian devils, the Komodo dragon, vicunas, Kirtland's warblers, and Emperor penguins. He would also have needed a large, temperature-controlled fresh-water aquarium for all the fresh-water fish that would have been killed in any incursion of sea water. Does anything indicate that Noah kept a large, temperature-controlled aquarium on board?

5. There is no evidence of any worldwide flood that inundated the entire world at the same time. Had it come from rain, then the energy released from the precipitation of rain from water vapor would have created conditions of a pressure cooker. From some open canopy? The energy released from falling water would also have cooked every living thing alive.

Let's try the evidence that sea shells are to be found in high mountains. There's a better explanation: a universe and an Earth much older than 6000 or so years, one old enough to have had violent uplifts of sea floor due to plate tectonics and slow erosion and deposition of highlands.   
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2009, 11:58:05 AM »

A global flood?  No.

^^^^^^

Moses (Genesis)
writer of 1Chron
Job
Eliphaz
Isaiah
Ezekiel
Luke
Paul
writer of Hebrews
Peter

I utterly refuse to get dragged into this argument again.  I guess, in your head, that means you win.  Congrats on being the King of Fantasyland.

That's what I thought. When reading you jmfcst, I was thinking I would be very curious to know what is it to live in a world with such fantasies in mind. I'm sincere, I really wonder how it would be.

Fantasies, because as pbrower2a developed, sounds that science carried a lot of evidences that should at least make doubt. I'm not monotheist but I like a lot that Catholicism has accepted what could carry science, which is just the observation of the reality.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2009, 12:50:03 PM »

A global flood?  No.

^^^^^^

Moses (Genesis)
writer of 1Chron
Job
Eliphaz
Isaiah
Ezekiel
Luke
Paul
writer of Hebrews
Peter

That just raises the question "then what made God?" - quite often the answer given is "nobody, he always existed". (not saying this is your belief, just a generality) Isn't that really just the same? If you can believe that one thing exists without a creative force behind it, then why is it so strange for another person to believe another thing exists without a creative force behind it?

I guess because I grew up believing in a higher power(God), I'm not going to say the way I think is right or wrong because I wasn't there, it amazes me that people who believe in the big bang think someone believing in a higher power is crazy. When it takes the same amount of faith to believe that the matter the made everything has always been there as it does to believe that a higher power has always been there.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies