U.S. rescue efforts may risk double-dip recession
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:40:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  U.S. rescue efforts may risk double-dip recession
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: U.S. rescue efforts may risk double-dip recession  (Read 1053 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 02, 2009, 11:37:00 PM »

U.S. rescue efforts my risk double-dip recession is a very trenchant analyis from Reuters by Emily Kaiser.

I recommend everyone read it.  The url is:

http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv/idUSTRE52168Y20090302
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 12:10:30 AM »

As was expected by anyone who knows anything about the economy.  Which is unfortunately not a popular crowd in politics.  No one likes it when the doctor has to tell you you have cancer.

you watch Degrassi?  I got hooked on it over the summer when all I did was drink in my basement, smoke two cigarettes a day, go to bed at 4am, and download music.  The N had a marathon in which they played every Degrassi episode in the leadup to the new season.  one of the main story arcs of one of the more recent seasons is Spinner's testicular cancer.  his dad died of cancer and he doesn't want to go to the doctor because he doesn't want to know that he has cancer.  in a Freudian way, he has fear that the partial castration that would be necessary for treatment would deprive him of his masculinity, so he starts chronically fighting before his friend confronts him and sets him on the right path.  I miss that show, but the new episodes that I've caught while home have been disappointing.

so the US Economy = Gavin 'Spinner' Mason.  we have fear that the loss of our 'big names' - General Motors, AIG, Citi, Chrysler, etc. - will ruin our macho and we'll cease to be a world financial/economic/industrial power.  while we may need to be partially castrated in order to survive, nobody wants to know that, so we compensate by throwing money at things that serve as band-aids for a few months.

fezzy, how brilliant of you!
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 01:01:47 AM »

Don't you mean double-dip depression?  Sounds like an ice cream flavor to me.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 01:14:26 AM »

crap, I'm hungry now.  thanks a lot
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies