When will it end?! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:03:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  When will it end?! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What do you think will happen?
The worst Depression ever, DOW around 800, 30% unemployment, Obama drops the ball badly, does not even run for reelection.
A very bad depression. DOW around 2,000, unemployment around 15-20%, a Hooveresque Obama term.
Severe Recession. 3-4,000 DOW bottom, 15% unemployment. Obama gets trounced.
Bad recession 12% unemployment, 5-6,000 DOW bottom. Obama has a chance at re-election, but thinks aren't that great in the world.
The Economy will recover within Obama's term, be at 2004-5esque levels. Obama wins reelection by a decent margin
DOW reaches a new high by the end of Obama's term. Reagenesque victory
Huge increase in economy, a new definition of landslide for the president.
What are you talking about? The fundamentals of the economy are still fine.
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: When will it end?!  (Read 8331 times)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« on: March 02, 2009, 09:04:56 PM »

Dow hits bottom at about 4000, and a slow recovery has gone underway by 2012. It is at about 5000 by election day.

The economy is still dreadful compared to 2006/2007, but people give him credit for stabilizing the situation. He wins a landslide against an extremist and out of touch opponent.

Dude if the Dow is 5000 on election day 2012, he is going down in a landslide against whoever his opponent is. 

Not true.

If there is any hint of recovery from the situation he inherited, he will win and he will win big.

Let me try to understand what you are saying.

If there is an unemployment rate of 12% and the stock market plunges to 5,000 (it gives me the chills just thinking about this), Obama can just blame everything on Bush and win 2012 in a landslide?  Sorry, but Obama is going to eventually have to take responsibility.

Well Bush never did (only in the last days of his presidency did he even begin to atone) - and that incompetent got a pass in 2004. And the economic situation Obama inherited is way, way more severe than when the dotcom bubble burst. Bush had his chance to build on the prosperity of the Clinton presidency. He didn't - and prosperity for millions of hard working Americans became but a dream. Just cut taxes for the sake of cutting them (the Republican way, more to those who greed them, less to those who need them) - and in terms of putting the economy on a sounder long term footing, they, obviously, fell short

Sometimes I think Bush just took advantage of America being "center-right" knowing full well his failings would get a pass in a way no Democrat's ever could

This president - whatever happens - as a Democrat (a pragmatic center-leftist, who I find, positively, Christian Democratic in certain respects) will be held to a higher standard than Bush ever was. And the meritocrat in me says that is exactly how it should be come 2012

Dave
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies