NY-Marist: Gillibrand would win Dem. Primary and beats King and Pataki
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:59:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  2010 Senatorial Election Polls
  NY-Marist: Gillibrand would win Dem. Primary and beats King and Pataki
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NY-Marist: Gillibrand would win Dem. Primary and beats King and Pataki  (Read 3376 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 04, 2009, 01:08:48 AM »

Gillibrand Approval Rating:

18% Excellent/Good
32% Fair/Poor

GE:

Gillibrand: 45%
Pataki: 41%

Gillibrand: 49%
King: 28%

DEM Primary:

Gillibrand: 36%
McCarthy: 33%

http://www.maristpoll.marist.edu/nyspolls/NY090303.htm
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 01:15:09 AM »

I kind of want her to lose in a primary just because so many people here jizzed themselves and declared her a future president the day she was appointed.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 01:25:25 AM »

Up by only three over McCarthy isn't that good considering outside of Long Island, Gillibrand has a  name recognition advantage
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 09:59:39 AM »

Branson, I love you buddy, but I disagree with your title here. There is no way to know if Gillibrand would win the primary with a 36%-33% lead. That is an absolutely pathetic showing and might open the door for more competition.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 11:27:50 AM »

it's a name recognition poll, everyone
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 12:46:49 PM »

Not impressive at all.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 02:33:32 PM »

Another useless poll...
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 04:14:26 PM »

I kind of want her to lose in a primary just because so many people here jizzed themselves and declared her a future president the day she was appointed.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 07:38:43 PM »

This is a pick that never should have happened. 
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 09:47:32 PM »

Up by only three over McCarthy isn't that good considering outside of Long Island, Gillibrand has a  name recognition advantage

McCarthy has name recognition throughout the NYC TV market (which includes much more than Long Island) because of her husband's LIRR shooting death.  She probably has the highest name recognition of the NYC metro area Congressmen.  Gillibrand is still a relative unknown downstate.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 11:46:29 PM »

Gillibrand would also have this thing called money that McCarthy utterly lacks.  Name recognition problems can be solved with lots and lots of money.

Plus, McCarthy isn't really a liberal's dream.  I don't get why the left likes her so much.  She was registered Republican until, what, 2002?  Gillibrand is more anti-war too.

Maloney could beat Gillibrand though.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 04:52:33 AM »

Gillibrand would also have this thing called money that McCarthy utterly lacks.  Name recognition problems can be solved with lots and lots of money.

Plus, McCarthy isn't really a liberal's dream.  I don't get why the left likes her so much.  She was registered Republican until, what, 2002?  Gillibrand is more anti-war too.

Maloney could beat Gillibrand though.

you silly, silly gun nut
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 04:58:53 AM »

is that serious or 6 am crazy talk?

McCarthy really isn't that liberal outside of a single issue and she has a pathetic fundraising record compared to Gillibrand.  Gillibrand has more liberal in terms of government transparency and foreign policy, and has a fully liberal record on the environment and women's rights, and will have a liberal voting recording on everything else coming into 2010, so there will be less desire by liberal fundraising groups to spend big to replace her with someone else who will vote exactly the same.  I think that makes sense.  Why would people pay big money to switch personalities but not votes?

Maloney and Israel could both take down Gillibrand on a 1 on 1 primary, however. They have more establishment support than Kirsten.  I'm not really familiar with Israel and Maloney's personalities, outside of the fact that they're bitter.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 12:14:07 PM »

is that serious or 6 am crazy talk?

McCarthy really isn't that liberal outside of a single issue and she has a pathetic fundraising record compared to Gillibrand.  Gillibrand has more liberal in terms of government transparency and foreign policy, and has a fully liberal record on the environment and women's rights, and will have a liberal voting recording on everything else coming into 2010, so there will be less desire by liberal fundraising groups to spend big to replace her with someone else who will vote exactly the same.  I think that makes sense.  Why would people pay big money to switch personalities but not votes?

Maloney and Israel could both take down Gillibrand on a 1 on 1 primary, however. They have more establishment support than Kirsten.  I'm not really familiar with Israel and Maloney's personalities, outside of the fact that they're bitter.

Gillibrand has more of a fundraising record than McCarthy, but well she has had to.  Gillibrand is in a much more Republican district than McCarthy.  The last time McCarthy faced any real challenge was her 1st re-election bid in 98, other than that she has had no real need to fundraise.  With that being said Israel would likely be a stronger challenge than McCarthy.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 09:28:27 PM »

Those numbers aren't very good.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 10:05:55 PM »

Outside of her being relatively unknown still (that's easily fixed with $30 million dollars), this could be a byproduct of people who preferred other people besides her to replace Clinton.  If your candidate didn't get picked, you might be artificially more likely to select "no opinion" or whatever.

Gillibrand is 100% in the middle of both the Schumer and Clinton factions, but she's 100% out of the Bloomberg and other Democratic NYC factions.  I wonder what will happen in the primary.

Stranger seems serious about running for the record.  His candidacy could easily scare away some of the NYC Congressmen from running, since if the vote gets split too much, then they could lose their job (unlike Stranger who is up for reelection in '09, not '10). 

We'll see.  The underlying politics seem to be creating more vultures after her seat, but too many vultures and she becomes safe.  The only "easy" candidates to get to clear the field are Congressmen who have to give up their seats to run.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies