Latin Pen Pal (Latinus Amicus Per Scribendum)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:35:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Latin Pen Pal (Latinus Amicus Per Scribendum)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Latin Pen Pal (Latinus Amicus Per Scribendum)  (Read 4940 times)
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 07, 2009, 03:36:45 PM »

Hey gang! My Latin IV teacher suggested I try to increase my everyday functionality with the language by finding another speaker with whom to discuss more regular events, rather than just strict history and speechs. Are there any takers or anyone who knows where I might be able to find said person? Its not a heavy commitment at all if the person doesnt want it to be, or it could be very heavy if they prefer. I have no qualms either way.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 03:38:02 PM »

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 03:55:38 PM »

If you're heavy on the theological bent, Benedict XVI could probably use a penpal.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 03:58:01 PM »

Hey gang! My Latin IV teacher suggested I try to increase my everyday functionality with the language by finding another speaker with whom to discuss more regular events, rather than just strict history and speechs. Are there any takers or anyone who knows where I might be able to find said person? Its not a heavy commitment at all if the person doesnt want it to be, or it could be very heavy if they prefer. I have no qualms either way.

Well, i am still working on my time machine, but in the meantime you could just buy the Rosetta Stone for Latin.

BTW... if its a pen pal then you aren't really increasing your speaking ability.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 05:19:35 PM »

Well, i am still working on my time machine, but in the meantime you could just buy the Rosetta Stone for Latin.

BTW... if its a pen pal then you aren't really increasing your speaking ability.
The idea would be to be conversing with a real person in more real world themes. And thank you Mr. Semantics. Tongue Smiley
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 05:20:38 PM »

I always knew I could count on my forum friends to hook me up.....with sarcastic, well timed, wit. ^__^
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 05:24:37 PM »

yeah I'd go find a local bishop or whatever they call them
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 08:07:33 AM »

I'll be happy to post things in Latin to help you out, I'm at a Latin IV level too but I gave it up last year.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 07:12:22 PM »

The idea would be to be conversing with a real person in more real world themes. And thank you Mr. Semantics. Tongue Smiley

I always try to guard against the confusion of speaking and writing, especially when so many people seem to have the misconception that writing is language.

Actually, if you want to learn to speak Latin, then I would suggest you take up Spanish, French, Italian, etc.  Those are all Latin.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 07:16:22 PM »

Forgive me if this is a really stupid question, but are there Latin words for modern things like computers, missiles, cars, telephones, text messages, etc.?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 07:17:30 PM »

And certainly, learning any one of those living Latins would do you more good than learning some written language that has been artificially frozen some 2000 year in the past.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 07:22:15 PM »

Forgive me if this is a really stupid question, but are there Latin words for modern things like computers, missiles, cars, telephones, text messages, etc.?

Not to make you feel stupid, but the root word for almost all those things you mentioned originates from Latin.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 09:00:01 PM »

Indeed there are. Multiple sources, including the Vatican and Oxford, are constantly updating the vocab. You can find most of these words by going to Wikipedia, going to the article of your word of choice, and clicking the "Latina" link in the "other languages" table, or just going straight to Vicipaedia and looking them up.

Cell Phone--Telephonum Gestabile
Computer--Computatrum (Laptop Computer=Computatrum Gestabile)
Car--Autocinetum or Autoraeda or Automobile

just for example
Meghean
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 05:33:10 PM »

I am also interested in a Latin pen pal. I am currently in my third semester of it and will go on to take my fourth semester next fall. Let me know if you want to communicate and maybe help each other.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 10:01:39 AM »

Me too!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length