Latin Pen Pal (Latinus Amicus Per Scribendum) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:03:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Latin Pen Pal (Latinus Amicus Per Scribendum) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Latin Pen Pal (Latinus Amicus Per Scribendum)  (Read 4981 times)
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: March 07, 2009, 03:36:45 PM »

Hey gang! My Latin IV teacher suggested I try to increase my everyday functionality with the language by finding another speaker with whom to discuss more regular events, rather than just strict history and speechs. Are there any takers or anyone who knows where I might be able to find said person? Its not a heavy commitment at all if the person doesnt want it to be, or it could be very heavy if they prefer. I have no qualms either way.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 05:19:35 PM »

Hey gang! My Latin IV teacher suggested I try to increase my everyday functionality with the language by finding another speaker with whom to discuss more regular events, rather than just strict history and speechs. Are there any takers or anyone who knows where I might be able to find said person? Its not a heavy commitment at all if the person doesnt want it to be, or it could be very heavy if they prefer. I have no qualms either way.

Well, i am still working on my time machine, but in the meantime you could just buy the Rosetta Stone for Latin.

BTW... if its a pen pal then you aren't really increasing your speaking ability.
The idea would be to be conversing with a real person in more real world themes. And thank you Mr. Semantics. Tongue Smiley
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 05:20:38 PM »

I always knew I could count on my forum friends to hook me up.....with sarcastic, well timed, wit. ^__^
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 09:00:01 PM »

Forgive me if this is a really stupid question, but are there Latin words for modern things like computers, missiles, cars, telephones, text messages, etc.?
Indeed there are. Multiple sources, including the Vatican and Oxford, are constantly updating the vocab. You can find most of these words by going to Wikipedia, going to the article of your word of choice, and clicking the "Latina" link in the "other languages" table, or just going straight to Vicipaedia and looking them up.

Cell Phone--Telephonum Gestabile
Computer--Computatrum (Laptop Computer=Computatrum Gestabile)
Car--Autocinetum or Autoraeda or Automobile

just for example
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies