Oklahoma City named lowest metropolitan area unemployment rate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:32:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Oklahoma City named lowest metropolitan area unemployment rate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Oklahoma City named lowest metropolitan area unemployment rate  (Read 3537 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 07, 2009, 11:18:31 PM »

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/metro.nr0.htm

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma leads the nation among metro areas with at least 1 million people in the unemployment category.  We barely edged out Washington, DC by a tenth of a percent.  OKC has 4.6% and DC has 4.7%.

Oklahoma City is also the lowest growth rate of the unemployment number.  Our unemployment figures has only risen 0.4% since December 2007.

Oklahoma City is certainly not immune to the recession, but we are definitely faring very well compared to other, larger areas around the country.

I am thankful that I have a pretty stable job.  I, unlike a lot of Americans, am not in danger of getting a pink slip.  My company has been around for 107 years with zero layoffs.  I'm not saying it can't happen, but its pretty unlikely at this point.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 11:20:12 PM »

Good for OKC.  Sadly, though, I think that number is going to go up, just like it will for every other city in the country.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 11:25:18 PM »

Good for OKC.  Sadly, though, I think that number is going to go up, just like it will for every other city in the country.

Oh, I definitely agree with you.  It will get worse before it gets better, but I think OKC can stay either the lowest or near the lowest in metro unemployment rates.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 11:28:54 PM »

Oh, I definitely agree with you.  It will get worse before it gets better, but I think OKC can stay either the lowest or near the lowest in metro unemployment rates.

Probably so, yeah.  What kind of jobs do you have there?  I'm guessing jobs that aren't likely to suffer too much, unlike areas like Detroit.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 12:57:16 AM »

These low unemployment rate areas seem to be big in earmarks. These deadwood need that money to be cut and going to more deserving areas.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies