New limits on Voting Rights Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:10:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  New limits on Voting Rights Act
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New limits on Voting Rights Act  (Read 1528 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 09, 2009, 04:59:56 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/10/washington/10votes.html?hp

The top line, from my reading of the article: only districts with 50+% minority VAP are shielded by the VRA in redistricting.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 06:04:46 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2009, 06:07:50 PM by Verily »

The top line, from my reading of the article: only districts with 50+% minority VAP are shielded by the VRA in redistricting.

It would appear that this ruling essentially eliminates VA-03, NC-12 and similar districts which connect extremely disparate areas to create a majority district

Edit: Apparently NC-12 isn't majority black anyway, so it would almost certainly be dissolved as a result of this ruling.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 11:49:01 PM »

Whether 50% is right or not, the establishment of a bright-line test is a plus. Makers of districts have feuded over the need to meet certain thresholds for a district. There is now a clear standard that will apply to the 2010 remaps.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 07:19:39 AM »

It would appear that this ruling essentially eliminates VA-03, NC-12 and similar districts which connect extremely disparate areas to create a majority district

Edit: Apparently NC-12 isn't majority black anyway, so it would almost certainly be dissolved as a result of this ruling.

Does this ruling open the door for them to be contested, or does it mean that if a legislature decides to dismantle them, they will succeed? I would guess there is nothing to prevent the VA and NC legislatures from keeping VA-3 and NC-12 intact if they wanted to. This NC state legislative district conflicted with a state law limiting the circumstances under which counties may be split. I don't think that applies to NC, based on the non-VRA squiggles going on around NC-13's borders.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 08:52:17 PM »

As I understand it, it merely limits the ability of lawsuits to force such districts to be drawn, but it doesn't keep them from being drawn.  As a way to gerrymander along political lines, I expect such districts to continue to appear from time to time.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 11:29:18 PM »

In this case, the North Carolina constitution has a provision against splitting counties for legislative districts.  This can be overridden to comply with federal law, such as equal population requirements, or the VRA.  The issue in this case is whether it was necessary to violate the North Carolina Constitution in order to comply with the VRA.  In essences does the right of equal participation in the voting process require creation of districts that the choice of the minority group can win.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies