Catholic population in New England declines, 1990-2008 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:32:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Catholic population in New England declines, 1990-2008 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Catholic population in New England declines, 1990-2008  (Read 2454 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: March 09, 2009, 07:44:20 AM »

The Catholic population in Massachusetts has fallen from a majority of 54 percent in 1990 to only 39 percent today. The drop is mirrored across New England.

The data show that this has resulted from Catholics disaffiliating with the church, at least in their heads, and not the growth of other religions or denominations.

We've seen the effects of this in Massachusetts state government.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/03/09/number_of_ne_catholics_tumbles/

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 07:21:12 AM »
« Edited: March 10, 2009, 07:22:49 AM by brittain33 »

Having now read this report in three different publications today, I am curious as to why you failed to mention that the survey found a general decline in almost all religious affiliation.

His source is the Boston Globe, which focused on the trend in New England. It is also the most drastic trend in the data that I can find, although it is certainly the case that Catholicism declined everywhere except the Mexican border states and most other forms of Christianity declined everywhere.

Yes, this is the only reason. I read the article in the Globe and posted it here, more or less with the headline it had there. I didn't talk about other trends because I hadn't read about them and was unaware there were other newsworthy results from the same study.

Boston is particularly susceptible to the "Fog in Channel; Continent Cut Off" school of journalism. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies