Coburn possibly running for governor in 2010?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:06:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  Coburn possibly running for governor in 2010?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Coburn possibly running for governor in 2010?  (Read 5267 times)
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 09, 2009, 07:56:27 PM »

Sounds like a good time for Okie's insight.

Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) has never been accused of being your average senator, as evidenced by his recent quest to strip earmarks from the omnibus spending bill. He keeps his council and isn’t afraid to ruffle feathers.

So it’s no surprise that whether he seeks a second term in 2010 remains one of the biggest unanswered questions of the election cycle.

From The Hill.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 07:57:14 PM »

This is good.  The only way Henry runs is if Coburn retires or moves on.  And it'd be harder for the Democrats to maintain the governorship, despite having a bench, in 2010.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 07:59:06 PM »

Mmhmm. While they might've had a chance without the news, Askins has no chance against Coburn, I think. Maybe?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 08:03:07 PM »

A Coburn-Henry switch would be fantastic.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 08:06:46 PM »

I think that would be the easiest for Oklahoman voters to wrap their mind around, to do the switch.  I think ballot-splitting will inherently be far more difficult if a Democrat with less gravitas runs for Governor and Coburn goes for another term.

Also, I don't care who governs Oklahoma.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 08:30:53 PM »

The only office that Coburn should be running for ought to be President.

Because you want an Obama landslide and 65 Democratic Senate seats?
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 09:06:03 PM »

I think most Okies deserve a Governor Coburn, honestly.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 11:10:16 PM »

Personally, I'd be surprised, given that Fallin is already running (and she's not exactly a center-right Republican, even for Oklahoma).

If he does, I'd have to think she'd switch to the Senate race.  But anyway, this is mere theorizing for now...
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 11:23:14 PM »

Would love to see this hate mongering bigot out of the Senate, along with his counterpart Inhofe.  Unfortunately if he does this perhaps Sally Kern could run for the seat and we know how much the people of Oklahoma enjoy being represented by bigots.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 05:09:32 PM »

That would be the day that I move to Canada. I'd rather have Sarah "I Can See Russia From My House" Palin as president than this right-wing hick bigot thing.

Would love to see this hate mongering bigot out of the Senate, along with his counterpart Inhofe.  Unfortunately if he does this perhaps Sally Kern could run for the seat and we know how much the people of Oklahoma enjoy being represented by bigots.

Agreed. Oklahoma Republicans do tend to be haters. But they're just following their party line. Can't blame them. That's how they get elected - play the fear card and inject God, guns and gays because we all know that stopping the homosexual agenda is the most important thing in the world. It must be in Oklahoma...
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 11:45:36 AM »

I honestly don't see Coburn running for governor.  He's too smart for that.  Even if he did, he'd probably lose to a very popular Jari Askins, and may not even survive a tough, bruising primary fight against Mary Fallin, and would damage Fallin in the process allowing Askins to cruise to an easy win.  That would mean he'd be out of office, something I like the sound of!  In fact, if Brad Henry runs in 2010 against Coburn, then Coburn definitely would not be a lock for re-election.  Brad Henry is a little more popular statewide than Tom Coburn.

Just remember, the Oklahoma Democratic Party is a lot stronger than a lot of outsiders think.  We have the ability to retain the governorship and yank the Senate Seat out from under Coburn's rear end at the same time.

Now, if Askins wins the race in 2010, as of right now, the Lt Governor's post would likely turn back to the Republicans, as the most prominent politician running for the seat is Republican State Rep Kenneth Corn.  That could change, and I hope and confident it will, but that's where we stand right now.

Although, a logical argument could be presented that Henry for Coburn would be a fair switch, kind of like Sebelius for Brownback would have been had Obama not nominated Sebelius for HHS.
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 12:39:17 PM »

Coburn could never win the presidency.
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 12:40:52 PM »

So because they have different views than you that makes hate mongering bigots? I bet you're a real open minded and tolerant person yourself, huh.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 10:02:18 PM »

He'd never win, but I'd donate a lot of money to that campaign.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 01:26:57 AM »

So because they have different views than you that makes hate mongering bigots? I bet you're a real open minded and tolerant person yourself, huh.

No, you can disagree with me and not be a bigot.  I wouldn't classify most people who disagree with me as bigots.  But some people are bigots, and based off the crap which has been uttered by Inhofe, Coburn & Kern well they are bigots.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 06:33:18 PM »

http://www.news9.com/Global/story.asp?S=10094769

Rep. Tom Cole (R-OK-4) has taken himself out of the governor's race in 2010.  He told The Oklahoman that he is not interested, citing other strong Republican contenders in the race, including Rep. Mary Fallin (R, OK-5), who has already announced her candidacy, and Fmr Rep. JC Watts possibly seeking a run.

On the Democratic side, Lt Gov. Jari Askins has announced and Atty Gen. Drew Edmondson possibly interested.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies