EFCA in trouble in Senate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:20:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  EFCA in trouble in Senate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: EFCA in trouble in Senate  (Read 6130 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2009, 10:53:03 AM »

when did we start needing 60 votes to pass anything?  seriously, Reid needs to make the Republicans stand up and talk for 30 hours without taking a piss or whatever it is every time they vote against cloture.

(not that I support the EFCA and not that I oppose it.  it's just a joke that the GOP gets to ram through a gigantic, crippling tax cut by a vote of 51-50 and the Dems need the Arlen Specters of the world so they can beat that number by ten)

Budget/appropriations bills don't require a cloture vote.  Other legislation does.  Go read the Senate rules.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2009, 11:42:06 AM »

...I strongly doubt that if unions just disappeared things like weekends & 8-hour work days would disappear without massive public uprising occurring as a result.

Ok, my first point to you, you absurd ostrich, is that unions were the massive public uprising against the miseries of capitalism.

Secondly, I would also point out that weekends and eight hour workdays are already things of the past for most of the lower half of american society!

Good lord man, get your head out of the sand and notice what is happening in this plutocracy.  Your yellow avatar = bootlicking.  Nothing more, nothing less.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2009, 01:54:18 PM »

when did we start needing 60 votes to pass anything?  seriously, Reid needs to make the Republicans stand up and talk for 30 hours without taking a piss or whatever it is every time they vote against cloture.

(not that I support the EFCA and not that I oppose it.  it's just a joke that the GOP gets to ram through a gigantic, crippling tax cut by a vote of 51-50 and the Dems need the Arlen Specters of the world so they can beat that number by ten)

Budget/appropriations bills don't require a cloture vote.  Other legislation does.  Go read the Senate rules.

+1, but hardly the most important point... it's not like there are no other examples
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2009, 06:23:30 PM »

Just exactly how many senators support this legislation? 
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies