JFK vs. Goldwater '64
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:38:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  JFK vs. Goldwater '64
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: JFK vs. Goldwater '64  (Read 3285 times)
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 11, 2009, 02:01:08 PM »

The original thread on this was made in 2005, and instead of resurrecting the old thread, I just wanted to put my map up here. 

No attempt is made on Kennedy's life in '63 and he runs with Johnson on the ticket against Goldwater.  Let's say that he '64 civil rights legislation passes pretty much as in real life, or even that Kennedy makes a push for it; this alienates the south as well as voters in a number of other states.  Kennedy's general popularity, his performance during the Cuban missle crisis, and his recent tax cuts win over a few voters and retain his old ones.  Goldwater performs well in the West and Midwest, keeps Wisconsin and Ohio, sweeps the south (including Florida), and the race is close.  I see Kennedy winning over voters in the Pacrific Northwest and eeking out some very close wins in North Carolina, Michigan, Minnesota and Missouri.  I assume that Kennedy has won enough people over for him to carry California, but it ends up being the key state; whoever wins it wins the race.

Kennedy/Johnson      264
Goldwater/Miller        234
Tossup                        40

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 06:56:55 PM »

JFK, 335-203:
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »