Government Spending: What Are the Benefits? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:48:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Government Spending: What Are the Benefits? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Government Spending: What Are the Benefits?  (Read 4179 times)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: March 17, 2009, 10:39:33 PM »

OK, now I understand the point of view that has brought this spending upon us. However, wouldn't this expansion of government eventually cause our demise?

Eventually, the spending doesn't happen in such massive quantities (in theory).  Now, in practice, it's much harder to stop.

This is only making me feel worse. This is like a cart running down a street in San Francisco. It won't stop till it has hit rock bottom.

The hope is that the massive cash being injected right now by the government will spark an increase in private investment back to former levels, allowing the government to reduce its spending.

Condensing the crisis and economic theory, simply:

1. The crisis has caused a credit-freeze, reducing the amount of money people can spend in the system.

2. Lack of money has led people to save more and spend less, meaning less consumption and private investment.

3. Falling investment has a dramatic effect on the GDP, even greater than actual fall in investment.

So how do we fix that dramatic decline? Luckily, an increase in government investment (read: spending) has the same effect as private investment. So an increase in G leads to a greater increase in GDP. As GDP rises and the market emerges from the crisis the credit will unfreeze, consumption and private investment will increase and we can decrease government spending.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 08:16:24 PM »

I meant spending now is supposed to end, like much of the New Deal spending was supposed to end, but didn't.  What we have left from the New Deal now will probably be with us forever.

I don't know how  much you can relate this is to the New Deal. FDR started a lot of new programs that started the social safety net. Obama is spending money to jump start businesses, temporarily cutting taxes and patching certain spending. Some of it will likely be permanent or long-term, but I'd say there will be little residual by the end of the next decade. It will be replaced by private investment.

On the other hand, the rest of his agenda (read:budget) will likely have similar long-term effects on the economy and institutions, but hopefully that will save us money in the long run (i.e. fixing Medicaid/care; energy initiatives).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies