Is exorcism stupid?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:57:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Is exorcism stupid?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is exorcism stupid?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: Is exorcism stupid?  (Read 6156 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 15, 2009, 03:45:43 PM »

Yes.

Works well in movies but the idea of it in reality is just LOL.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 04:52:53 PM »

You know what I find stupid?  Substituting polls for actual substantive discussion, substituting aloof irreverence for understanding.

I doubt you know jack about the history of exorcism in Catholicism, and have made no attempt to.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 05:06:00 PM »

Alcon's lecturing now out of the way.

Yes, it is.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 05:12:32 PM »

You know what I find stupid?  Substituting polls for actual substantive discussion, substituting aloof irreverence for understanding.

I doubt you know jack about the history of exorcism in Catholicism, and have made no attempt to.

Non-Catholic denoms have done exorcism too so it's not about that.

Amusing that an atheist would be defensive of such a thing.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 05:16:51 PM »

Marokai is right -- I'm not being defensive, I'm lecturing.  Tongue

Then, what is this topic about?  What are we supposed to learn or discuss here?  Look, whatever.  Why not ask us about whether we find some arcane Lutheran traditions "stupid"?  It's clear who you're trying to provoke, and it's boring.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 05:20:25 PM »

Didn't say it was unjustified. Tongue
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 05:59:42 PM »

This is truth.

I may add that there are cases where exorcisms is known to have 'worked' (that is, relieved the exorcisee (?) of the anguish that was perceived as demonic posession). Why this should be so, is a complete mystery. (Not that I believe in demons or exorcisms or etc).
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 10:44:19 PM »

Then, what is this topic about?  What are we supposed to learn or discuss here?  Look, whatever.  Why not ask us about whether we find some arcane Lutheran traditions "stupid"?  It's clear who you're trying to provoke, and it's boring.

Any "arcane Lutheran traditions" are basically still only recognized and practiced by the more conservative denoms. Basically these stupid fucks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confessional_Lutheran

I have nothing to do with them.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 10:49:38 PM »

Any "arcane Lutheran traditions" are basically still only recognized and practiced by the more conservative denoms. Basically these stupid fucks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confessional_Lutheran

I have nothing to do with them.

Well...how about Lutheranism in general?  If this wasn't intended to provoke certain groups you dislike, I mean, it's only fair to put your own beliefs up for mocking.  Or is your belief in the "magical Jewish zombie" beyond public reproach?  Sad  (I'm not mocking Christianity.  I'm mocking BRTD and only BRTD.  Because that is the kind of crap when you put bullying dismissal over actually understanding the world.)

Summary:  shut up go away
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 11:50:04 PM »

In agreement with Alcon that making a poll to replace substantive discussion is really just useless.

That aside, yes exorcism is ridiculous.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 12:25:10 AM »

Very stupid.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 04:00:38 PM »

Exorcism, as practiced by the modern Roman Catholic, Anglican, Episcopal, Lutheran and some Baptist, churches is usually done in a very responsible way.  For one thing, it is very rarely done at all. 

Unfortunately, in many Pentectostal, Holiness, and -- surprisingly -- Eastern Orthodox churches, it is often considered a "first response" to any problem...and us frequently done without any medical or psychological evaluation.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 04:42:09 PM »

"Very rarely" is still too much. It'd be like me "inventing" a drug to treat a completely fictitious disease but claiming to be responsible by recommending that it be used "only rarely".
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 08:31:39 PM »

Exorcism, as practiced by the modern Roman Catholic, Anglican, Episcopal, Lutheran and some Baptist, churches is usually done in a very responsible way.  For one thing, it is very rarely done at all. 

Unfortunately, in many Pentectostal, Holiness, and -- surprisingly -- Eastern Orthodox churches, it is often considered a "first response" to any problem...and us frequently done without any medical or psychological evaluation.

But don't you think these obviously mentally ill people should get medical help? Our brains are wonderful and complicating things but sometimes things go wrong.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 09:21:52 PM »

But don't you think these obviously mentally ill people should get medical help? Our brains are wonderful and complicating things but sometimes things go wrong.

Are we going to treat any irrational behaviors as mental illness?  I can understand if they endanger others.   But let's not go too far in declaring most of America worthy of psychological treatment Tongue
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 09:54:01 PM »

Are we going to treat any irrational behaviors as mental illness?  I can understand if they endanger others.   But let's not go too far in declaring most of America worthy of psychological treatment Tongue

Most of America needs exorcism? Some of these people are just attention whores. But most probably have a psychological disorder. Screaming at them in latin isn't helping anyone. Did you think I was saying the people performing the exorcism were mentally ill? Irrational yes, mentally ill no.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 10:06:56 PM »

Um, no; sorry, I was vague.  I was saying that your definition of "mentally ill" seems to be "does irrational things."  Most Americans, most everythings, believe in and do things on an irrational basis.  Should we be treating people for their religious beliefs?  That's not to say that there are not rationally-derived religious beliefs, but not to be cynical, but I doubt most people arrive at them that way.  So...do we treat them, too?  Or only the ones that do harm?

I guess that depends on how much you dislike being yelled at in Latin.  Personally, big turn-on for me
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 10:33:08 PM »

No I am not saying doing irrational things= mentally ill. If these people are voluntarily getting exorcism's done then I am totally fine with it. I am not ok with the mentally ill being forced to undergo exorcism, instead of proper medical attention. Mind you most of my views on exorcism are based on the movie "The exorcism of Emile Rose". Tongue I haven't met even a single person who has undergone exorcism or performed it.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 10:38:10 PM »

No I am not saying doing irrational things= mentally ill. If these people are voluntarily getting exorcism's done then I am totally fine with it. I am not ok with the mentally ill being forced to undergo exorcism, instead of proper medical attention. Mind you most of my views on exorcism are based on the movie "The exorcism of Emile Rose". Tongue I haven't met even a single person who has undergone exorcism or performed it.

Ahh, fair enough.  We agree then.  I do not support a religious "exorcism" exemption for assault either
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 11:15:57 PM »

Absolutely.  Exhaustive testing, analysis and diagnosis are called for -- both for physical and psychological explanations.  All I am saying is that I believe demonic possession is, in very rare and extreme cases, a reality.  That's because I do believe demons exist and are permitted, in some instances, to inhabit human hosts.

Crazy?  Yeah, maybe.  And then maybe not.

What I think we CAN agree on is that any person (a parent, guardian or clergyperson) who practices exorcism without insisting on rigorous and thorough medical and psychological analysis first is guilty of neglect, abuse and malpractice.  I do believe 99.9 percent of these cases ARE explainable medically and/or psychologically.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2009, 01:22:37 AM »

Yeah, pretty dumb.  Luckily that's one of those on-the-books-but-not-ever-done-in-reality kind of things or I'd have to take a long hard look at changing denominations.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2009, 11:58:21 AM »

Absolutely.  Exhaustive testing, analysis and diagnosis are called for -- both for physical and psychological explanations.  All I am saying is that I believe demonic possession is, in very rare and extreme cases, a reality.  That's because I do believe demons exist and are permitted, in some instances, to inhabit human hosts.

What I think we CAN agree on is that any person (a parent, guardian or clergyperson) who practices exorcism without insisting on rigorous and thorough medical and psychological analysis first is guilty of neglect, abuse and malpractice.  I do believe 99.9 percent of these cases ARE explainable medically and/or psychologically.

Well I think JS we can put to bed the supposition that you are a hard line Leftie on everything. We now know that you have moderate views about exorcism. Are you in the hunt for moderate hero status or something?  Tongue
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2009, 12:27:02 PM »

Well I think JS we can put to bed the supposition that you are a hard line Leftie on everything. We now know that you have moderate views about exorcism. Are you in the hunt for moderate hero status or something?  Tongue

Horrors!  I would hate to be thought of as a moderate hero.  I also enjoy guns, too.  Yipes.  I hope I am not abandoning my Maoist idealism!  ;-)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2009, 06:54:01 PM »

I dunno. I'm open to the idea...especially if some parts of the M-theory turn out to be true.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies