Did Methuselah really live to be almost a millenium old? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:22:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Did Methuselah really live to be almost a millenium old? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Did Methuselah really live to be almost a millenium old?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: Did Methuselah really live to be almost a millenium old?  (Read 7272 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: March 17, 2009, 12:51:01 PM »
« edited: March 17, 2009, 01:26:21 PM by jmfcst »

I'm wondering what jmfcst types will say to this.

YES, he lived as long as it said.

---

The explanation I always heard in my youth to the people living ridiculous ages in the Bible is the definition of age being used is different from the modern time (and likely there were translation issues.) Something worth noting is if you define "years" as "months" you get him living to be around 80, aka a realistic time.

that's an extremely weak "explanation".

The New Testament interprets the ages of people in the book of Genesis just as they were written:

Gen 17:1 "When Abram was ninety-nine years old"

Rom 4:19 "Without weakening in his faith, he faced the fact that his body was as good as dead—since he was about a hundred years old—and that Sarah's womb was also dead. "

Heb 11:11 "By faith Abraham, even though he was past age—and Sarah herself was barren—was enabled to become a father because he considered him faithful who had made the promise."

---

Also, the Genesis duration of times if accepted by the New Testament as literal:

Gen 13:15 "they will be enslaved and mistreated four hundred years."

Exod  12:40   "Now the sojourn of the children of Israel who lived in Egypt was four hundred and thirty years. And it came to pass at the end of the four hundred and thirty years - on that very same day "

Acts 7:6 "they will be enslaved and mistreated four hundred years."

Gal 3:17 "The law, introduced 430 years later [after the promises were given to Abraham]"

---

The "years" of Genesis are interpretted as literal "years" throughout the rest of the bible.  End of debate.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 09:15:34 PM »

---

The "years" of Genesis are interpretted as literal "years" throughout the rest of the bible.  End of debate.

OK, now explain how something which is clearly physically impossible did happen.

lifespans were different back then...after the flood, lifespans ramped down (this was discussed in the Noah thread)
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 11:54:01 AM »

OK, now explain how something which is clearly physically impossible did happen.

Like resurrection?

Exactly!  The fact that lifespans have changed is clearly evident in scripture.  How, then, can others say this is physically impossible?  What is impossible with man, is possible with God.  How foolish it is, therefore, to measure God by man's measure.   
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies