FED TO BUY $300 BILLION OF TREASURIES - QUANTITATIVE EASING ALERT!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:25:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  FED TO BUY $300 BILLION OF TREASURIES - QUANTITATIVE EASING ALERT!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: FED TO BUY $300 BILLION OF TREASURIES - QUANTITATIVE EASING ALERT!  (Read 6023 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 18, 2009, 01:42:04 PM »
« edited: March 18, 2009, 01:48:09 PM by Sam Spade »

We are so ****ed now (not particularly at this moment, I should note).  Which bad scenario should I place on the table now...  (ugh)

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/Fed-buy-Treasurys-latest-bid/story.aspx?guid={8C08C8DB-1945-4A8A-A047-C3782DE43911}

Dollar just collapsed.  10yr/30yr treasuries skyrocketed through the roof and so did the stock market, even though the stock market is pulling back.

EDIT:  Missed one - gold skyrocketed too (not surprisingly).
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 01:53:10 PM »

So are there any upsides to the dollar collapsing? Maybe more manufacturing?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 02:01:52 PM »

There are no positives results to this scenario.  Period.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 02:14:59 PM »

More complete article...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Fed-to-buy-up-to-300B-apf-14680377.html

The Fed also said it will buy more mortgage-backed securities guaranteed by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to help that battered market. The central bank will buy an additional $750 billion, bringing its total purchases of these securities to $1.25 trillion. It also will boost its purchase of Fannie and Freddie debt to $200 billion.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 02:43:15 PM »

PERFECT!  Good move by the Fed.  I would have liked it to have been larger than $1.25T...but can't really complain.

Next step needs to be changes to uptick rule and MTM.

We have to stablize the banks.

Full disclosure: I own 25k shares of Citi at a cost of $2.30
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 03:15:21 PM »

There are no positives results to this scenario.  Period.

Well, except for complete economic recovery through reflation.

Oh and btw, I told you so.  My economic views are apparently shared by those in control of the Fed.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 03:19:26 PM »

Oh and btw, if the dollar falls much (it won't), everyone else will just have to quantitatively ease (print) to equalize - they have no choice.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 03:34:22 PM »

Oh and btw, if the dollar falls much (it won't), everyone else will just have to quantitatively ease (print) to equalize - they have no choice.

the UK is already quantitatively easing.  And, you're right, the dollar won't fall much, the EU economy is twice as bad as the U.S.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 03:39:52 PM »

Opebo and Jmfcst agreeing on economics, cats and dogs living together...MASS HYSTERIA
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 03:51:13 PM »

Opebo and Jmfcst agreeing on economics, cats and dogs living together...MASS HYSTERIA

yep, sure sign that the 2nd Coming is near!

After a long hiatus, I finally got back into the stock market.  My first buy, CAT, was a stimulus play, but Obama stimulus sucked and I hit my stop loss limit.  My second buy, PBR, which I sold today, almost recovered all my loses in CAT. 

Now, I am in Citigroup (C) at $2.30. The U.S. is NOT going to let Citi fail.  They claimed to be profitable in Jan and Feb.  And the reinstatement of the uptick rule and the changes to MTM will make help stabilize Citi.  It is either a $10 stock or a $0 stock.  I'm betting that it is a $10.

For the rest of the overall market...there is no reason to be long right now given the risks.  Better to play stocks that are receiving Federal protectsion, like C and BAC and F.

April will be a very crucial month.  Obama's team better have all their cards on the table by the end of April.  IMO.

One thing is for sure:  Fed chairman Ben does not want to deal with a depression on his watch.  He failed us miserably in 2007 and most of 2008, but he's had his game face on since taking rates to near zero.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 03:57:21 PM »

The dude may be mad as a march hare in many ways, but certain aspects of his economic views are sensible.

I even agree that this quantitative easing should have been much larger in size...
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 04:50:17 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2009, 04:53:58 PM by Sam Spade »

Actually, it tells me something as well...

EDIT:  Well, it tells me that ( Wink to myself), but it tells me something more important - wait patiently and prepare.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 05:02:40 PM »

EDIT:  Well, it tells me that ( Wink to myself), but it tells me something more important - wait patiently and prepare.

look...though you and opebo have totally different economic viewpoints, both of your viewpoints never change, regardless of market conditions.  Both of you are willing to play chicken with icebergs.  I, on the other hand, am willing to temporarily change course in order to save the ship.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 05:32:02 PM »

look...though you and opebo have totally different economic viewpoints, both of your viewpoints never change, regardless of market conditions.  Both of you are willing to play chicken with icebergs.  I, on the other hand, am willing to temporarily change course in order to save the ship.

This ain't saving the ship, jmcfst.  This is purposely driving a hole in the ship and every lifeboat, along with throwing all the life jackets overboard.  It won't sink overnight of course, and right now it looks like you're saving the ship (or something like that - I don't have a good analogy at the moment).

If you view me as being stubborn or unchangeable, so be it.  History has shown time and time again that the only way out of a debt-deflation is to default the bad debt.  Opebo's solution gives us Weimar, Argentina and Zimbabwe (as examples); continued borrowing of debt (no monetization) with no end gives us Iceland; I don't think we're lucky enough to get Japan for a whole host of reasons.  If I am wrong, long-term, I'll take my lumps.  Anyway, we disagree on the solution, not the problem.

There's a good reason why symbolically, if you read Bernanke's thesis, this is presented as his last option to stopping a debt-deflation.  Of course, that also tells me that we're much, much worse off than TPTB are letting on.

I have a few working theories as to why it was done - 1) the need for buyers of the massive amounts of debt that's going to be done this year; 2) the need to keep interest rates lowered when that debt is being issued (as the 10-year bond was at 3% yesterday, and technically would have bounced much higher soon); 3) the need to keep interest rates lowered when certain commercial paper obligations roll over (otherwise they would have blown up); 4) some other general problem that was going to blow up if we didn't do anything.

Look - with today's announcement the Fed will own, according to my count, about 40% of the MBS out there.  When will the Fed own that much in Treasuries?

I said that there would be one last flight to safety in bonds.  I thought it would because of some failure in the EU and UK.  This is it - the final bubble is being created - the "government finance" bubble.  The only way the Fed will have to keep this bubble going now is to keep buying Treasuries.  Otherwise, it pops or it ends when the Fed owns all.

Oh, and the EU and UK still have it worse than we do (for now).
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 05:41:03 PM »

If you view me as being stubborn or unchangeable, so be it.  History has shown time and time again that the only way out of a debt-deflation is to default the bad debt. 

I don't consider the Great Depression of the 1930's as a "way out".

In any case, check out this video about the short squeeze on Citi's stock conversion:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123739700104873325.html#articleTabs%3Dvideo
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 05:51:08 PM »

If you view me as being stubborn or unchangeable, so be it.  History has shown time and time again that the only way out of a debt-deflation is to default the bad debt. 

I don't consider the Great Depression of the 1930's as a "way out".

In any case, check out this video about the short squeeze on Citi's stock conversion:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123739700104873325.html#articleTabs%3Dvideo

I noticed this morning that they were calling in shares used to short financials today.  Perfect timing really - to coincide with this big FOMC announcement.  Congrats on the hold (through today at least)

In the GD, we used the same mechanisms that we're using today, just not in such great amount.  In fact, the 1931 bond market dislocation occurred in part because people thought we were going to monetize our debt. 

Of course, every scenario is not the same, but to me the idea that doing more of the same, just in larger amounts, will work, is well, just, you know...

We shall see.  I hope I'm wrong, but I've been saying that for a while now. 

Anyway, I wish you luck, nonetheless, even though I know we'll disagree.  I haven't played around in the stock market since June 2007 (I don't like playing in bear markets) and I don't play day trader.  My curiosity in and study of the markets is mainly intellectual (personal disclosure)
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 06:01:53 PM »

In the GD, we used the same mechanisms that we're using today, just not in such great amount. 

huh?!  How can you say that?   The Hoover administration did next to nothing from Oct 1929 to early 1933 - Hoover believed the market would sort it all out.  The market did sort it all out - and the vast majority of Americans were huge losers.

Feb Chairman Ben is a huge student of the GD and he is doing everything the Fed didn't do from 29-33.  By the time FDR came into office, the patient was already dead. Chairman Ben, though MIA in 2007 and most of 2008, is trying to keep the patient alive.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 06:48:28 PM »

I bought into C at $2.29 and into BAC at $4.15.... so I'll ride this as long as I can before the bottom falls out again. If BAC releases earnings in April and they have a profit, it's going to shoot through the roof. I'm out my memorial day, though.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 10:36:42 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2009, 10:49:27 PM by Beet »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What bond market dislocation in 1931? There were brief spikes in bond yields that year, but mostly in the corporate and municipal markets. The Fed responded to this mostly by raising the rediscount rate to staunch the export of gold. This was an exercise in defense of the gold standard, which was ultimately abandoned, resulting in an effective monetization of debt. Arguably the government should have abandoned the gold standard sooner, rather than raising interest rates. Bond yields fell throughout the 1930s.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 11:16:45 PM »

My economic views are apparently shared by those in control of the Fed.

Yes! That is now clearly so true and also so reassuring!
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 11:30:38 PM »

Basically, what happened today is that Bernanke did not like Obama's stimulus (that's why Ben warned on 60Minutes about the lack of political will)...so Ben cranked up the printing presses and created his own stimulus.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2009, 03:33:05 AM »

Actually while my economic ideology doesn't change, my policy prescriptions do change quite often.

For example massive printing is the obvious action in a deflation, and always works very well.  Bernanke is good.  It is absurd to compare this to the Weimar or Zimbabwe cases as the situation is entirely different.

I don't recommend this sort of printing in normal times, though obviously a continuance of some milder Keynesian redistribution is always necessary.  During 'normal' 'market' operation, it is better to tax said monies from the privileged to provide for redistribution (along with several other ways).  The printing aspect is the medicine for deflation/depression, not the daily tonic in normal times.

That said, one aspect of this Bernanky printing I don't like is that the money goes to holders of securities - the very class which will not spend/cannot spend.  We need to print a trillion or two and get it directly into my hands and the hands of people like me.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2009, 08:09:14 AM »

That said, one aspect of this Bernanky printing I don't like is that the money goes to holders of securities - the very class which will not spend/cannot spend. 

YES!  I meant to point that out to you yesterday.  Obviously you get the picture: the Ben-stimulus is geared toward those liquid enough to able to take advantage of a good deal.

Spot on!
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2009, 08:14:29 AM »

Sam,

Were you in agreement of the original $700B "bailout" last Sept-Oct?  Because, the way I see it, we were headed for an instant depression last fall, and the government intervention has bought some time for us to deleverage in an orderly manner so that, hopefully, we only end up with an severe recession.

If you don't agree with attempting to intervene in the markets last fall in some fashion, you and I will certainly never agree on current policy.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2009, 08:42:42 AM »

LOL, this situation gets more awesome by the day! Huzzah.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies