One in 20 young German men neo-Nazis
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:39:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  One in 20 young German men neo-Nazis
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: One in 20 young German men neo-Nazis  (Read 7188 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 19, 2009, 02:12:58 AM »

link
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Is this something to be concerned with or just kids being dumbasses as kids often do?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 02:17:36 AM »

What is even more depressing:

4 in 10 young Austrians have voted for them (FPÖ+BZÖ) in the Parliamentary Elections last year.

Sad to say it, but H.C. Strache (FPÖ) is Austria's Obama when it comes to the young vote ...
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 03:00:55 AM »

The xenophobia in Europe is real and a little sad/scary.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 05:45:16 AM »

John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 08:02:09 AM »

One study says it. That doesn't make it true. Perhaps the study is flawed, or perhaps not. The media unfortunately takes single studies too seriously - we should only begin to draw conclusions if multiple studies confirm it.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 08:53:13 AM »

True, to some extent in France, but not entirely.

18-24 voters are historically left-wing and they also love Trots and Greenies. Le Pen did slightly below average in 2002, and 3% below average in 2007. Sarkozy ate up a lot of that Le Pen vote for sure.

However, 25-34 are much more rightie, in two distinct senses. First, Le Pen got 17% (average) in 2002, and his vote held up very well in 2007. Second, Bayrou got 23% in 2007. Also one of the best Greenie categories, but Trots don't do as well.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 10:19:31 AM »

But I sure as hell Purple heart the amount of time they have to lecture Americans about their xenophobia/racism/backwards thoughts...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 11:00:15 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_187_(1994)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 11:03:56 AM »

Rules of law = xenophobia

Excellent
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 11:17:44 AM »

I agree with Al. Why on Earth does the fact that something is law keep it from being based on xenophobic intentions?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 11:33:01 AM »

Why is preventing law breakers from social services xenophobia? Al, can I come to England as a visitor and be a beneficiary of your NHS? And if not, why are you being such a xenophobe?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 11:35:45 AM »

Why is preventing law breakers from social services xenophobia? Al, can I come to England as a visitor and be a beneficiary of your NHS? And if not, why are you being such a xenophobe?

If you're a resident, you are entitled to care regardless of nationality.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 11:36:52 AM »

I agree with Al. Why on Earth does the fact that something is law keep it from being based on xenophobic intentions?

It's xenophobic to have immigration laws?

I'm tired of this thought process that there are xenophobic motives behind anything dealing with those that enter this country illegally.

By the way, no more racketeering charges, please. It's simply anti Italian xenophobia.

No, you're not. If you're a citizen, you're entitled to care.

I expect better from you.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 11:37:31 AM »

Whatever. I'm sure much more than 5% of young Americans are racists/fascists.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 11:38:36 AM »

Incorrect according to Wikipedia:

The NHS provides healthcare to anyone normally resident in the United Kingdom with most services free at the point of use for the patient though there are charges associated with eye tests, dental care, prescriptions, and many aspects of personal care.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 11:38:42 AM »

Whatever. I'm sure much more than 5% of young Americans are racists/fascists.

Translation - "OMG Europe isn't perfect!"
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 11:39:34 AM »

Incorrect according to Wikipedia:

The NHS provides healthcare to anyone normally resident in the United Kingdom with most services free at the point of use for the patient though there are charges associated with eye tests, dental care, prescriptions, and many aspects of personal care.

Uh...

Are you serious? Read the first line of what you posted. We're talking about CA and Social Security. This isn't the NHS or the UK, pal. Sorry.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 11:41:03 AM »

This was a response to StatesRights' question about access to the NHS in Britain.

Sorry for the confusion.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 11:43:00 AM »

This was a response to StatesRights' question about access to the NHS in Britain.

Sorry for the confusion.

But excluding States wouldn't be xenophobic and no one would call it that anyway. Bring up an American that opposes drivers licenses, Social Security, etc. for those that enter this country illegally and you're xenophobic. It's disgusting.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2009, 11:45:13 AM »

Sorry for the confusion.

But excluding States wouldn't be xenophobic and no one would call it that anyway. Bring up an American that opposes drivers licenses, Social Security, etc. for those that enter this country illegally and you're xenophobic. It's disgusting.

I was only referring to "Al, can I come to England as a visitor and be a beneficiary of your NHS?", and my response was simply an answer to that question.

I didn't intend to imply that opposing drivers licenses for immigrants is necessarily xenophobic, although I do believe it is concerning healthcare and the like, but that wasn't what I was saying in that quote.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2009, 11:48:59 AM »

although I do believe it is concerning healthcare and the like, but that wasn't what I was saying in that quote.

Why is one thing xenophobic and the other isn't?

It's no xenophobic for me to oppose granting privileges to those that enter this country illegally. Those privileges aren't granted to everyone. Now I'm not saying I don't want an illegal immigrant to be denied emergency care but giving them the benefits of Social Security, Medicare, etc. is a blatant disregard of the law. I'd say that to an illegal Latino immigrant, to an illegal German immigrant, to an illegal Italian immigrant...
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2009, 11:50:50 AM »

If someone is working in the US, they are paying Social Security taxes, so I don't see any non-xenophobic reason to deny them the payout on that. Besides, illegal immigrants are not eligible to receive Social Security in the US anyway. All that's possible is that ONCE THEY BECOME LEGAL they can receive payouts on what they paid in while illegal. That just seems like common sense.

As for driver's licenses, do you really want people driving WITHOUT a license? It's not like that wastes the state's resources anyway unless they're setting up specific centers just to give licenses to illegal immigrants which I doubt happens. Really, the state makes money off drivers licenses to illegal immigrants. Maybe jack up the price of a license for them if you're that concerned, but denying it outright is just stupid.

For another example of xenophia, how about the NRSC attacking Stephen Laffey because as mayor he allowed for the Matricula ID Card, a legitimate form of ID issued by the Mexican government to be used as legal ID? I doubt anyone is freaking out about Canadian drivers' licenses being considered valid legal ID.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2009, 11:54:23 AM »

although I do believe it is concerning healthcare and the like, but that wasn't what I was saying in that quote.

It's no xenophobic for me to oppose granting privileges to those that enter this country illegally. Those privileges aren't granted to everyone. Now I'm not saying I don't want an illegal immigrant to be denied emergency care but giving them the benefits of Social Security, Medicare, etc. is a blatant disregard of the law. I'd say that to an illegal Latino immigrant, to an illegal German immigrant, to an illegal Italian immigrant...

Oh sure, I agree on social security and long term government programs.

But medical care is something special, and emergency care isn't the only relevant part of ensuring health. Preventive care is sometimes much more important. Or take cancer or diabetes...these aren't covered by "emergency care", but they're absolutely vital.

I certainly don't want to treat illegal immigrants as if they were citizens, but certain things need to be provided regardless of the circumstances.

Concerning drivers's licenses...what does the state lose by letting illegals get them? Seems like common sense to not what unqualified drivers on the roads.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2009, 11:58:51 AM »

If someone is working in the US, they are paying Social Security taxes, so I don't see any non-xenophobic reason to deny them the payout on that. Besides, illegal immigrants are not eligible to receive Social Security in the US anyway. All that's possible is that ONCE THEY BECOME LEGAL they can receive payouts on what they paid in while illegal. That just seems like common sense.

Uh huh. I'm sure all of those employers are really paying those workers on the books.

And I guess I'm a xenophobe for feeling the exact same way if an Italian does this.  Roll Eyes

I don't believe that they deserve the benefits of citizenship when they blatantly disregard the rule of law. First drivers licenses, then health benefits...

Are Canadians living here illegally? This isn't an issue concerning showing valid ID; it's about the benefits of citizenship.

Oh sure, I agree on social security and long term government programs.

But medical care is something special, and emergency care isn't the only relevant part of ensuring health. Preventive care is sometimes much more important. Or take cancer or diabetes...these aren't covered by "emergency care", but they're absolutely vital.

So now we're just going to give out that care to anyone that shows up? Where does it end?

They're not qualified to be driving here legally to begin with. Amazing how we care about how the obey the laws of the road but not the law when it comes to citizenship...
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2009, 12:42:25 PM »

From my experience, I think xenophobia is alive and well in many places in Europe.  It always really got me when people would lecture me about how backwards we Americans were because I think on the face of it, the U.S. is perhaps the most open minded country in the world when it comes to immigration and ethnic/race relations.

It's the same as the abortion thing... we're always catching hell about how Americans are backwards because so many oppose abortion... while in practice we have some of the most liberal abortion laws in the world.... but it's all about hte media.  They love to go way over the top in publicizing the immigration debate because it stokes up strong feelings and the extremists on both sides, who yell the loudest, get heard round the world... leading to the perception that we are somehow just a bunch of redneck kooks... when in reality.. again

You'd have a lot easier time becoming a U.S. citizen than you ever would a German citizen and I'd dare say you'd have an easier time being accepted into society here as well.

Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies