Middle East Peace Act of 2009 (On the President's Desk)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:32:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Middle East Peace Act of 2009 (On the President's Desk)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: Middle East Peace Act of 2009 (On the President's Desk)  (Read 16814 times)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2009, 08:02:54 AM »

A voice from the gallery: once again, note "nation of Israel". I mean, seriously Senators. You can't seriously be this blind (of course, the dolt can't even spell "aid" so maybe it slightly more innocent than it looks). And someone should also remind you all that there is no one, single Palestinian government these days...

Shouts louder from the gallery: Since when doesn't Atlasia recognize the nation of Israel as a sovereign entity?
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2009, 09:25:03 AM »

Amendment to replace the bill with the following text:

Section 1
a.) All aid to the nation of Israel shall be suspended until the withdrawal of all Israeli military from West Bank and Gaza Strip
b.) Israel must also recognize Palestine as independent nation
c.) If the nation of Israel withdraws from West bank and Gaza Strip, aid to the nation shall be recontinued

Section 2
a.) All aide shall be suspended to the Palestinian state until all attacks are stopped against Israelis and the Palestinian government recognizes Israel's right to exist
b.) Aide shall be restored if the Palestinian government meets said requirements

This bill is acceptable to me.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2009, 09:29:29 AM »

A voice from the gallery: once again, note "nation of Israel". I mean, seriously Senators. You can't seriously be this blind (of course, the dolt can't even spell "aid" so maybe it slightly more innocent than it looks). And someone should also remind you all that there is no one, single Palestinian government these days...
Perhaps one needs to look no further than this statement to see why this bill is working.  The problem was never me, it was always you.  Now, we have a group of senators who are willing to work out a compromise.

Well done everyone
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2009, 09:31:03 AM »

Section 1
a.) All aid to the nation of Israel shall be suspended until the withdrawal of all Israeli military from West Bank and Gaza Strip
c.) If the nation of Israel withdraws from West bank and Gaza Strip, aid to the nation shall be recontinued

Section 2
a.) All aide shall be suspended to the Palestinian state until all attacks are stopped against Israelis and the Palestinian government recognizes Israel's right to exist
b.) Aide shall be restored if the Palestinian government meets said requirements

This bill is acceptable to me.

While I have my doubts as to whether this would actually work, I am willing to support it. It would be better than nothing.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2009, 09:37:56 AM »

I am calling a motion for cloture on:

Section 1

Section 2

AYE
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2009, 09:38:33 AM »

Aye. I've had enough of this bill.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2009, 10:09:09 AM »

Perhaps one needs to look no further than this statement to see why this bill is working.  The problem was never me, it was always you.  Now, we have a group of senators who are willing to work out a compromise.

Well done everyone

Haha.

The reason why I kept blocking this obsessive idiocy of yours is because you are an anti-semite using this fantasyland bill to get a nasty little thrill. And I don't approve of that.

Another reason, of course, was that your bill was always badly written and based on a combination of delusions and out-of-date information.

And this bill, as it stands now, remains badly written (you can't even spell "aid" correctly, you idiot). And it remains based on delusions and out-of-date information. It's pure student-hack politics.

And this is before we reach the issue of using aid as a weapon.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2009, 10:14:14 AM »

Well done everyone

Haha.

The reason why I kept blocking this obsessive idiocy of yours is because you are an anti-semite using this fantasyland bill to get a nasty little thrill. And I don't approve of that.

Another reason, of course, was that your bill was always badly written and based on a combination of delusions and out-of-date information.

And this bill, as it stands now, remains badly written (you can't even spell "aid" correctly, you idiot). And it remains based on delusions and out-of-date information. It's pure student-hack politics.

could you explain what the problem is with "nation of Israel"?  Haven't quite understood what you meant.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2009, 10:15:30 AM »

Well done everyone

Haha.

could you explain what the problem is with "nation of Israel"?  Haven't quite understood what you meant.

I hope it is not semantics between state and nation. Roll Eyes
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2009, 10:54:39 AM »

Nay to cloture. This bill is still awful.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2009, 10:56:46 AM »

Well done everyone

Haha.

I hope it is not semantics between state and nation. Roll Eyes

No. It's an extremely loaded political term, the use of which constitutes either a deep accusation of radical Zionism or powerful moral support for radical Zionism (by which I mean the truly racist, jingoist sort). Look at the kind of websites which use the term "nation of Israel" compared to a more neutral term ("state of Israel" being one).

Delicacy is always, well, more than just advisable in diplomatic affairs.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2009, 11:33:49 AM »

Aye on cloture.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2009, 11:37:16 AM »

Abstain on cloture
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2009, 01:37:56 PM »

I'm growing worried about the wording of this, and the fact the Palestinians have no unified government is also something that needs to be considered.

I'd like to debate this some more.

I'm changing my vote on cloture to NAY.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2009, 04:28:40 PM »

nay on cloture
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2009, 04:59:08 PM »

Israel has already withdrawn from Gaza. There are something like 300,000 or so (don't remember the number, but it's about that, give or take a 100,000) Israelis currently living in the West Bank territory. What happens to them?

Well, since most of that land was stolen from their original occupants, that should be transfered back to their original owners, if possible.

"Transferred"? I think what would end up happening, in real life instead of wonderful fantasy where Israel and Palestine happily give in to our demands, is that lots and lots of people would end up killing each other. Getting 8,000 settlers out of Gaza a few years ago was hard enough, but half a million out of the West Bank? Good luck with that.

I know a lot of you want to stop spending money aiding the people of Israel and Palestine, but I'd have a lot more respect for that position if you actually presented a simple "All aid is cut off to both countries forever" bill. It would never pass, of course, but at least you wouldn't be hiding your true intentions. As is, neither Palestine nor Israel will agree to any of this, and this bill will merely back-door your anti-aid/anti-support policies into Atlasian foreign policy.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2009, 06:09:49 PM »

Aye on cloture, please don't let Al's rantings continue to influence the senate.  He's finally where he belongs, in a little corner going mad and obsessing about me
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2009, 06:17:45 PM »

I don't see how not supporting Israel is antisemitic.

Israel has already withdrawn from Gaza. There are something like 300,000 or so (don't remember the number, but it's about that, give or take a 100,000) Israelis currently living in the West Bank territory. What happens to them?

Well, since most of that land was stolen from their original occupants, that should be transfered back to their original owners, if possible.

"Transferred"? I think what would end up happening, in real life instead of wonderful fantasy where Israel and Palestine happily give in to our demands, is that lots and lots of people would end up killing each other. Getting 8,000 settlers out of Gaza a few years ago was hard enough, but half a million out of the West Bank? Good luck with that.

I know a lot of you want to stop spending money aiding the people of Israel and Palestine, but I'd have a lot more respect for that position if you actually presented a simple "All aid is cut off to both countries forever" bill. It would never pass, of course, but at least you wouldn't be hiding your true intentions. As is, neither Palestine nor Israel will agree to any of this, and this bill will merely back-door your anti-aid/anti-support policies into Atlasian foreign policy.

One could say the same thing about the impossibility of emapcipating 3,000,000 slaves, but that is no reason to not seek abolitionism.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2009, 06:24:12 PM »

Nay.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2009, 06:25:43 PM »

Cloture has failed I do believe, so let's keep debating Smiley

Remember the context of the bill now, and I would like to see what amendments people will propose.  I'm willing to almost any compromise as something is better than nothing
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2009, 06:43:04 PM »

Change the name of the damn bill to start with.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2009, 09:44:54 PM »

One could say the same thing about the impossibility of emapcipating 3,000,000 slaves, but that is no reason to not seek abolitionism.

Are you comparing emancipating slaves to kicking Israeli settlers out of their homes?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2009, 10:04:48 PM »

Are you comparing emancipating slaves to kicking Israeli settlers out of their homes?

Well, you phrase it as though they acquired those homes through legitimate means, rather than kicking out the Palestinians that lived there. But, that is irrelevent to this bill, since this had nothing to do with Israeli settlement.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2009, 10:06:18 PM »

The Israeli military isn't going to pull out of the West Bank and leave those settlements to defend themselves.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2009, 10:07:28 PM »

The Israeli military isn't going to pull out of the West Bank and leave those settlements to defend themselves.

Well, if they don't, they're not going to receive any money for Atlasian taxpayers.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies