who won cigarette smokers?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:25:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: who won cigarette smokers?  (Read 2927 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 19, 2009, 04:49:37 PM »

I can't seem to find a way to look at it that would lead me to believe Obama didn't win smokers, as they are disproportionately lower-income.  which means they vote at a lower clip too - which makes them easy targets for unfair taxation.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 05:18:19 PM »

I can't seem to find a way to look at it that would lead me to believe Obama didn't win smokers, as they are disproportionately lower-income.  which means they vote at a lower clip too - which makes them easy targets for unfair taxation.

A large amount of them tend to be white working class voters.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 11:50:10 PM »

Obama, I imagine.  Clinton in the primary, probably.

Smokers are disproportionately low-income and undereducated.  They're less white than average, although it's not purely a direct racial relationship.  Native Americans have very high smoking rates, and blacks are a way's under, then whites, then (I think) Hispanics and Asians, forget what order.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 12:29:31 AM »

blacks & whites are about the same.  Native Americans smoke at a much higher clip and Asians much lower (particularly Asian women).  don't really recall about Hispanics, I think it's a few points lower than blacks/whites.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 01:42:47 AM »

blacks & whites are about the same.  Native Americans smoke at a much higher clip and Asians much lower (particularly Asian women).  don't really recall about Hispanics, I think it's a few points lower than blacks/whites.

I think we're probably talking about the same stats, then.

It actually surprises me that Asian women smoke at such low rates.  I see a lot of young Asian women (college-aged) smoking in Seattle, I assume it's a weight control thing.  Not claiming that's a better sample, but I'm surprised
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 02:07:02 AM »

It actually surprises me that Asian women smoke at such low rates.  I see a lot of young Asian women (college-aged) smoking in Seattle, I assume it's a weight control thing.  Not claiming that's a better sample, but I'm surprised

I was actually just about to say the opposite.  The college I went to (Stony Brook University) was about 25-30% or so Asian, and a bit higher than that of students who dormed (since most of the commuters were from Central Suffolk) and very few Asian women smoked.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 03:05:19 AM »

I never have seen two Asian women smoke together and I go to school at a very Asian university.  I've seen one hipster smoke with a diverse bunch.  I think Koreans especially have a large cultural gender divide between who smokes and who doesn't.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 02:26:36 PM »

I never have seen two Asian women smoke together and I go to school at a very Asian university.  I've seen one hipster smoke with a diverse bunch.  I think Koreans especially have a large cultural gender divide between who smokes and who doesn't.

yeah the Chinese do also. In the PRC, almost all the men smoke and almost none of the women do. There's a huge imbalance in Taiwan and HK as well, though not as big as on the Mainland.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 05:52:12 PM »

Huh.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 08:29:50 PM »

There's also a big difference between recently immigrated Asians and not-so-recently immigrated ones; given that smoking has greatly increased recently in China, many more newly-immigrated Chinese people will be smokers than those whose families have been in the country for a while (even, say, 10-20 years).
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 09:35:18 PM »

I hardly think smokers coordinate themselves as a voting bloc, but if I were to guess, I'd say Obama.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies